What temperature is not safe for tires?

Lefty

I've driven in 0 degree (i.e. 30F) weather and above. Some people say they never drive below 5 degrees (i.e. 40F), others say 10 degrees (i.e. 50F).

I'd like to know what's the magic number? Tires do not become safe below what temperature? Above that number and you're fine.

Cheers.

Bloke

Tyres are dangerous at all temperatures :) it's not the tyres it's the surface.

I won't ride on snow and ice using normal road tyres, but I'd consider it if they were studded.

but I won't ride across diesel at any temperature.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

UselessPickles

There's no magic temperature threshold. Those people were just giving their opinions.

Colder tires + colder road surface = less traction. Just be increasingly careful with colder temps, especially at the beginning of your ride before the tires have warmed up at all.

Colder road surface means higher chance of ice. I'll ride in below-freezing temps if the roads have been clear and dry for a day or two, but I'm extra cautious in turns and near intersections in case there's any lingering ice patches. If there's melting snow, then temps dropping below freezing, there's a good chance you'll see some ice, so I drive the car on those days.

Also, if they salt roads where you live, avoid riding when the roads are wet, event if it's warm, until there's been some decent rain to wash the salt away. I got a bit impatient and rode on the wet salty roads once, and I have several bits of hardware with corrosion on my bike now.

JSP

Super Moderator
I have ridden down below 20 F. I have even ridden on ice :spank:. I dont think there is a "magic number". Just take it easy at any temperature below freezing because the road can be slippery. Or any wet/painted surfaces as well. Or sand/dirt covered surfaces... or, well ya get the picture.

6R Blackout

Just move down here to New Orleans and ride all year long even when it does get "cold" down here! With our temps you will never have to worry about tires!! Just kidding!!! Seriously whenever you ride just be safe and careful all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!