what oil filter do you use?

Alex6

Not trying to be naive, but what's wrong with the Yamaha filters? Yeah, I know they might be a little more expensive, but for me, for as few filters as I use per year, it's worth it.
Nothing is wrong with the Yamaha filters, except that they are missing the nut. :)

Alex6

nothing.... if thats what is readily available... use it.... there are sites where they have cut open the filters... yami look wierd, but it is designed for the bike. I use purolator cause its half the price and readily available... when I first started riding, I put on miles... chaging oil every three months... so cost drives me... still put miles on it, just not as much, but enough to be money concsious
Ok, lets do a simple math. If the yamaha filter is $12 and purolator is $6, the saving for you (if you change the filter every time you change oil) is a whopping $6 * 4 = $24 per year! Wow, that is really really good! :rolleyes:

EsrTek

Ok all swapped over to a K&N 204 filter and another oil stain on my cement parking spot!
Damn filter cost me $18 w/ tax, but price is off lil issue compared to the engine problems that Fram might have caused.

Ordered a set of 3 off ebay @ $9 a pop for future changes!

Rich007

I was always spend the extra money on a factory filter. If I find that K&N make the Yamaha filters then I'll buy K&N if it cheaper.

When I did my first oil change on my bike at 550 miles I bought a filter cap that adapts to the Yamaha filter for $3. In my experience over the years with automotive K&N filter we found that they were too thick and that there is really no need for such a thick oil filter, it slows the flow of oil.

Stick to factory filters, they were designed to work with your engine.

SoCal600

just changed my oil today with mobil 1 4t 10/40 and a purolator oil filter (classic) not a big fan of the classic but i have used worse I.E. walmart supertech oil filter, idk what part number but it is suppost to be made by champion and champion makes bosch. pretty much any oil brand oil filter for late model honda civics fit our bikes. use the bosch 3300 as a cross reference when picking filters so you get the same size filter because a bosch 3300 and 3323 both fit honda civics.... bosch 3300 is the same filter size as factory, but with a little more filter filter media. after i took off the super tech oil filter i cut it open and looked at the media pleats. they werent uniform, some pleats were spaced more apart... bosch is always uniform i cut the filters open every time to look for particals.....

ylwf3vr

ajones70

Ok, lets do a simple math. If the yamaha filter is $12 and purolator is $6, the saving for you (if you change the filter every time you change oil) is a whopping $6 * 4 = $24 per year! Wow, that is really really good! :rolleyes:
$6!!!??? Wow!!! Just did first oil change this week. Purolator filter cost $12, 3 x litres of Mobil synthetic oil 10W40 was $48......plus 5% gst (tax)

ylwf3vr

cant see why not,have you considered the oil filter yet?
I was going to go to the dealer and get Yamaha Oil Filter.. unless you all recommend something else

ylwf3vr

Maadi

Napa gold #1358. Amsoil synth. 15w40. Seems to be working well! Used cap wrench to remove old, hand tightened new one on. No problems.

Riccochet

I get free valvoline 4T 20W-50 full syn from my neighbor and pay $7 for a yamaha filter from my friend in the part dept at the dealer. So, just so you know, the dealers mark those filters up from $7. ;)

So, oil change costs me $7. :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
KN-204 got them in bulk from Amazon $5.25 each. I bought 6 that should last me the life of the bike since I don't ride that much.

rockmurf

Bosch oil filters. I used them in my fjr 06 with 123k miles and no problems. I will now use them in my wife's fz6r with hopefully the same results.