What is the gear/speed does everyone shift at??

JZIPPOZ

Hello,
I am new to riding and i have been currently breaking in my FZ6R. I am just curious as to what speed everyone shifts each gear at. Just give me an example of how fast you go in each gear. The advice would be greatly appreciated.

MikeN02

Usually I'm in 2nd or 3rd while street riding. (45mph) and 4 or 5th freeway riding, 65 - 70.

I usually shift in first around 10 RPM. I can't stand the screeching sound and the vibration of the mirrors.

porky45

F

FZ6Rgurl

If I'm just taking it easy taking off from a stop, I usually shift between 4-6 RPM in each gear. By the time I'm up to highway speed(55 in Oregon), I'm already in 5th gear or so. When I was breaking my bike in, I think I shifted between 3-5 RPM. Because I heard you weren't supposed to take it over 6 RPM until you reach like 600 miles or so.

F

FZ6Rgurl

But riding in town, I usually shift between 3-5 RPM. I love the sound of the engine winding up, that high pitched scream our bike gives when the RPMs reach the higher ones. But when you reach the higher RPM's, that means I'm going over the speed limit. :thumbup:

vitrox

i always cruise in high rpms, in case you need to make a quick manuever in traffic its good to have the HP there.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bjpinub

Since this thread is focusing on shifting, I was wondering if it is normal for the shifting to be rough during the break-in period? I am currently at 19 of 600 mile break-in period. When I shift, it seems a little choppy/jumpy. When I shift and let out the clutch, there doesn't seem to be an area of it slowly shifting into gear, that is, as I release the clutch, the bike seems to sort of jump into gear. Is this normal, or is it just the novice rider?

zig308

Since this thread is focusing on shifting, I was wondering if it is normal for the shifting to be rough during the break-in period? I am currently at 19 of 600 mile break-in period. When I shift, it seems a little choppy/jumpy. When I shift and let out the clutch, there doesn't seem to be an area of it slowly shifting into gear, that is, as I release the clutch, the bike seems to sort of jump into gear. Is this normal, or is it just the novice rider?
After roughly 300 miles in the last 8 months :eek: the only gear that it "clunks" into is 1st. The other gears are pretty smooth. Maybe try to work on slowly, but deliberately changing gears till the muscle memory sort of takes over?

I normally shift at 4-6k around town, but have had it into the 8-9k range for short bursts of fun :)

It's getting into the 70 degree range, so I'm hoping to put some more miles on it after Fall semester is over. At least until Summer semester starts...:rolleyes:

neshi

From my opinion play with your clutch a little more! I noticed when i transition from my cruiser to the fz it was less forgiving about the gear changes just take it easy for the first bit! find your sweet spot and by the time you do your first service it will be gone.

FitZ6R

Maybe I'm weird, but I usually don't know exactly what gear it's in. I just up/downshift as needed to keep the engine near the middle of its powerband.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The jumpiness you are experiencing means that you are not rev matching. In other words, the engine speed (rpm's) is different than the speed your bike is traveling. Next time you are riding, try to not completely close the throttle when you shift. Just roll off slightly to keep the engine revs up, then when you upshift it should be smoother. When you get really good at it, you won't have to roll off the throttle at all. :cool:

FitZ6R

When I shift and let out the clutch, there doesn't seem to be an area of it slowly shifting into gear, that is, as I release the clutch, the bike seems to sort of jump into gear. Is this normal, or is it just the novice rider?
First, check the clutch lever adjustment. Second, things will break in and smooth out considerably over the first few hundred miles, and you'll see further improvement after the first oil change.

Not sure I quite follow you on "as I release the clutch, the bike seems to sort of jump into gear." The transmission should be in fully in gear before you release the clutch. If it sounds/feels like the gear change isn't complete until you release the clutch, you probably need to use a firmer foot on the shifter. Shifts should be quick and decisive. Squeeze - kick - release in less than a second.

On the other hand, if you're saying that the bike feels jerky when you release the clutch, that's a matter of rev matching, and it gets a lot easier with practice. It's actually possible to shift without clutching at all, just by modulating the throttle. I'm not recommending that, but the point is that once you get the hang of rev matching, the clutch action becomes largely a non-issue. The only time you need to be "easing" out the clutch is starting from standstill.

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Pretty odd as when I was in my break-in period I asked my dealer mechanic who was going over the stuff with me what RPMs do I keep out of.

He said I don't have a limit, just don't keep in the same RPMs. Also keep shifting to work in the gears and don't ride the freeway, meaning I need to let the bike stop at lights and take off etc to work everything in.

joloy133

Pretty odd as when I was in my break-in period I asked my dealer mechanic who was going over the stuff with me what RPMs do I keep out of.

He said I don't have a limit, just don't keep in the same RPMs. Also keep shifting to work in the gears and don't ride the freeway, meaning I need to let the bike stop at lights and take off etc to work everything in.
This is the right advise, (ceramic rings seat differently)!

JonKerr

Elite Member