What are people getting for their 6Rs? Best place to sell?

angelsneverlose

Hey guys,
Well, i have just recently bought a house and im thinking that 3 bikes is a little much at this time for me... unfortunately, the R6 is staying and the other bike is my wife’s (since the 6r was too 'heavy' for here :confused:).

Anyways, i thinking im going to sell it, but im curious as to what price point to start at and where people have had luck?

Mine is a 2009 FZ6R and Yamaha blue in good condition. Has a couple very small scrapes, but nothing really noticeable unless your stand next to it. Ive owned since new, broke it in per spec and she now has 7K miles. It has been lowered (which can be easily undone), and has the Carbon TBR exhaust which sounds fantastic! Also includes new OEM tires and the installed pilot road 2s

Anyways, what do you think i could get? I was thinking of starting the price at only 4K:(? Is this a good price? Again, im only selling because 3 bikes and 2 cars is too much so sadly, this may have to go...

thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

For trade in value I got $5,500 for mine after a bit of talking for my R6. Mine had about 6,000 miles on it and he told me I could take off all of the extra stuff and keep them. Bike did has a little rash on the side fairings and I cut one of the passenger pegs off for the exhaust mod.

porky45

For trade in value I got $5,500 for mine after a bit of talking for my R6. Mine had about 6,000 miles on it and he told me I could take off all of the extra stuff and keep them. Bike did has a little rash on the side fairings and I cut one of the passenger pegs off for the exhaust mod.
keep in mind that trades are different though...

Usually...if the dealer goes up in one end, he's liable to go up in the other...

if he gives you more for your used bike, he's not going to come down as much as he can on the new bike.

Detrich

U got a 2009 R6 mike? How much did u pay over the $5,500 if u don't mind me asking. Yamaha is having some insane deals now, which is why I'm getting temped too... $1500 cash back on top of already steeply discounted 2009 leftover inventory.

Good god if I keep thinking about it I'll be in trouble. lol :p

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rat

Trade mine on Yamaha dealership 3 days ago.
yellow FZ6R 2009, bought brand new May 2010, odo 9441 - $4k

Last edited:

MikeN02

U got a 2009 R6 mike? How much did u pay over the $5,500 if u don't mind me asking. Yamaha is having some insane deals now, which is why I'm getting temped too... $1500 cash back on top of already steeply discounted 2009 leftover inventory.

Good god if I keep thinking about it I'll be in trouble. lol :p
Unfortunately I couldn't get a 2009. My co-signer (second family so he's basically a father to me) recently bought the 2009 R1 so I couldn't get a credit extension. Being young, I don't have anyone so I got a used 2007 R6 with about 3k miles on it, carried the rest of the debt of the FZ6-R over to the R6 + 2k more.

Believe it was worth it as I had my family member give me a grand, and so it basically is the same amount of payments every month as if I still have the 6R. Now I don't want anything for Christmas or my Birthday.

Rat

Trade mine on Yamaha dealership 3 days ago.
yellow FZ6R 2009, bought brand new May 2010, odo 9441 - $4k
Saw my bike at the dealer place today.
LOL, the dealer's price is $5299. :D

Last edited:

Detrich

i wonder what i'd get for mine for a 2010... i think i'll ask a few dealers just to see how willing they are to deal... yamaha has $1500 cash back on 2009 and 2010's on top of already steeply discounted overstock. am kinda torn tho... if they come back with something amazing, then what do i do? i'm barely over 2K miles on the 6R, and it just seems way too premature. would kinda suck to have to re-learn how to ride all over again on much faster, less-forgiving bike as well. tho, i do wonder if i would be able to turn faster in the canyons...

Trade in Value kinda sucks: $3700 http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-in/2009/yamaha/fz6r/251498

Resell Value is better: $5380 http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2009/yamaha/fz6r/251498

Last edited:

MikeN02

i wonder what i'd get for mine for a 2010... i think i'll ask a few dealers just to see how willing they are to deal... yamaha has $1500 cash back on 2009 and 2010's on top of already steeply discounted overstock. am kinda torn tho... if they come back with something amazing, then what do i do? i'm barely over 2K miles on the 6R, and it just seems way too premature. would kinda suck to have to re-learn how to ride all over again on much faster, less-forgiving bike as well. tho, i do wonder if i would be able to turn faster in the canyons...

Trade in Value kinda sucks: $3700 2009 Yamaha FZ6R Motorcycle Trade-In Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book

Resell Value is better: $5380 2009 Yamaha FZ6R Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book
I would go ask a dealership, you know... just to poke around. Then if it's not to your liking put more miles on it and see if it's the same.

Wouldn't suck, every bike is different. Every year is different as well, 2008 R6 is the most powerful right now. But that's the fun part of motorcycles, everyone has their different bikes to show off their own styles.

Detrich

I tend to agree... Mike got a killer deal on his trade in for $5,500... I honestly dunno any dealer around here (So Cal) that would pay that much for a trade-in 6R... That said, if I could get low $4k+ for my trade-in and pay around low $2K+ otd for the remaining balance, then it 'might' seem worth it to me to upgrade to an R6, since that's really the bike i wanted in the first place.

but, some of my friends are telling me to be patient and wait, because they say that i'll develop into a better rider if i spend more time on the 6R. i get what they mean, but at the same time, wouldn't i improve my riding skills on any bike that i ride- so long as i ride carefully? does it really make that big a difference- now that i'm not completely "green" anymore- sorta say?

If I was selling, I would jump at the chance to sell for 5300.00, someone didn't do their homework.

Detrich

^ i see...

Mike> since you went thru this same transition and had a mishap, do u feel the r6 is really a huge jump up from the 6r? is it better (safer) for me to wait?

Rat

^ i see...

Mike> since you went thru this same transition and had a mishap, do u feel the r6 is really a huge jump up from the 6r? is it better (safer) for me to wait?
Nobody knows that better than you man.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Honestly think you will be fine on the R6 if that is what you wanted to do. The r6 is VERY tame under 8-10k rpm! Its when you start hitting over that, that it screams and pulls you into warp speed haha. If you keep it under that, which is REALLY easy on the street unless you are just being plain stupid you wont have any problems. I think it feels almost the same, power wise as the FZ6R down in the lower rpms... Unless you are at 14k rpm or higher, the bike isnt gonna even come close to jumping out from under you if you crack the throttle.

If you can control your right hand :D, I see no real issues. Just take the low parking lot turns carefully as that is a bit different than the FZ since the handle bars are much lower.

If I am say cruisin at 55 in 6th and someone is going way slow and I need to rip it past them to pass, I downshift into freaking 2nd gear to get the rpm up to like 13k or so and then it pulls like a mother. So you really have to try and be stupid to be stupid. Careful though 16.5k rpm is a little addicting. :surrender: But like I said, its all in self control.

Detrich

lol... i know. well, i'll just play it by ear then. if i do find a killer deal, then great. if not, i'll just keep riding the 6R a couple more months until i really feel like i have to upgrade... i know i'm going to get an R6... it's just a matter of "when."

:)

angelsneverlose

thats for the help guys... i guess ill try $5K if i decide to let it go and then take 4.5 if thats what they try to talk me down too. Lower then that isn't even worth it...