What about a projector project

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Bask in its glory!!

Ok, but just for you! :p

Here are some pictures of the projector retrofit, the first on the FZ6R!! :steve: I will get to the how-to later, but now that it's together my bathroom remodel will take precedence (because the slave driver said so).

When it gets dark tonight, I will take some more pictures to show how bright it is and demonstrate the light coverage as well as get it all adjusted properly. Let me tell you though, this thing is blinding even in the direct sunlight! I had trouble getting a head-on shot because the light was flooding the camera.

lesh24

OMG!!!!

THAT IS THE HOTTEST MOD YET!

:wav::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think I just wet my pants!!!!!

Is this the projector that comes with the HID bulb but not the ballast

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
OMG!!!!

THAT IS THE HOTTEST MOD YET!

:wav::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think I just wet my pants!!!!!

Is this the projector that comes with the HID bulb but not the ballast
No, this was a complete kit. It came with the HID bi-xenon bulb, projector lens and housing, ballast and controller.

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It's dark now!!
True, so here you go!

Unfortunately, that's all you get until I can get the battery recharged. :eek: I guess taking all those pictures during the day and testing everything over the past couple days drained my battery enough that I couldn't get the starter to turn over. :eek:

I went to start it tonight and got nothing. :banghead: I guess this just confirms the nature of HID lights, they require a ton of input to get them to fire. Who knew?! :don'tknow:

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So that's just the angel eye. Can you see the angel eye when the actual lamp is on? Seems like it would be washed out by the HID.
Well, in the daylight pics, you can still see the blue of the angel eye. But I think that it would get washed out from a distance, especially if you were looking at the bike head-on. I think you could still see it from an off-center angle.

I will try again tonight to get some pics of the lamp lit up. When I had it parked in the garage and fired it up to test the wiring, the light that hit the inside of the garage door and reflected back was pretty darn bright, and that was still during the day. I put the bike on a battery charger last night and I will do some riding today to make sure it has a good charge.

Good night pics are coming, I promise. :eek:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Night pics!!!

Ok, here are some of the night pics that I promised. Things to keep in mind are: 1)that I was sitting in my sloped driveway, 2)I was less than 20 feet from the garage door, and 3)the light needs adjusted BADLY!

As it sits now, the light points way too high. Hopefully I will be able to bring the light down with the housing adjuster knobby-things.

Low beam

High beam

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

pyrocpu

Very, super impressive!

I wonder what the reflector housing would look like, with a thin coat of flat black paint... where you can see a little bit of the reflector coming thru, but not really... y'know?

Just thinking... hope it's not as silly as my "what if the windscreen was yellow like my bike?" wonderance... :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Very, super impressive!

I wonder what the reflector housing would look like, with a thin coat of flat black paint... where you can see a little bit of the reflector coming thru, but not really... y'know?

Just thinking... hope it's not as silly as my "what if the windscreen was yellow like my bike?" wonderance... :D
I bet you could do it with the spray-on tint. Give it just enough tint that the in-your-face reflectiveness doesn't show through as much.

acasey07

99vengeur, this looks like sex and I want one. What brand projector is that and how much was it? Looks way better than silly HIDs! I wanna get a projector setup with angeleyes and toss some matching leds to mount inside the faux ram air intakes.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
99vengeur, this looks like sex and I want one. What brand projector is that and how much was it? Looks way better than silly HIDs! I wanna get a projector setup with angeleyes and toss some matching leds to mount inside the faux ram air intakes.
This is the exact kit I bought. It comes with two of everything, so if you wanted to find someone else wanting to retrofit a projector, you could split a kit.

H4 9003 Bi-xenon projector HID CONVERSION Kit Hi/Lo New - eBay (item 140358572617 end time May-08-10 01:37:26 PDT)

MikeN02

Hey Robert, it's been a couple of months... where's the How to?

I'm about to put projectors in my R6 but ran into a couple of problems when looking over at their forum.

Mainly the stock reflector in the headlight housing doesn't have enough room for the projector so you're either going to have to mod the reflector in there or take it out.

Majority of people take out the reflector and cut out a cutting board and put another piece over it.

I want to use the Projectors with the reflectors and want to see if you had to cut it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robert, it's been a couple of months... where's the How to?

I'm about to put projectors in my R6 but ran into a couple of problems when looking over at their forum.

Mainly the stock reflector in the headlight housing doesn't have enough room for the projector so you're either going to have to mod the reflector in there or take it out.

Majority of people take out the reflector and cut out a cutting board and put another piece over it.

I want to use the Projectors with the reflectors and want to see if you had to cut it.
I know, I'm really behind on getting a How-to written up. But I can tell you that I didn't have to make any modifications to the headlight housing at all. The projector fit in there with no problems. The reflectors are still in there, but they serve no purpose now, so when I finish the second one, I will either remove them or paint them black.

Y

yellowfz

Charging ! Clear !
Reviving from the dead , any more input on the project ? :confused:

jonkop

99vengeur,
if I am not mistaken, I didn't read your final conclusion:

Is the Xennon projector retro fit headlight better than the stock one on the road or it is not? How about the headlight output ON the road?
I didn't mean anything about fancy look, angel eye, etc. bullshit (according to me), just the visual output on the road lane.

Thanks and regards for your work!

Speedv1

99vengeur - excellent job! I hope you don't mind but I used your one pic to make a "mock" image of another idea that'd be cool for someone to try (not sure if I have the technical experience...). I did it in grayscale to allow the image to blend together more.. but yeah, it's a tacky job (sorry! lol).

I'm actually a fan of the dual light concept (Ducati 999r for example), so I would suggest that the lights would be ~1 inch recessed into the front, so technically the top one would be a little further in than the bottom.

Also I guess one would be hi and one would be low - that'd make sense to me.

Well, yeah.. what do you guys think?