Went down

Mr Citrus

So I finally went down. I had just turned out of my driveway, and was heading up the street, when my chain popped off and I went down. I was only going 12mph, so I kind of jumped off and ran, and the bike only has minor scuffs to the right fairing(very minor, thank goodness) and I only got a small bruise on my foot. OAINSHDFNBASDJFBS
I examined the chain and the area where it came off is bent, what steps do I need to do now? what kind of chain do I buy?

Irony, just this morning I thought my chain was a little noisy, and made a mental note to check it this evening. Should've done that.

edit: oh, and my rear break pedal is bent

Last edited:

b_who

good thing it happened when u were only going 12 mph and that you and your bike are ok.
You should look into what caused your chain to fail like that though.

as for the chain its 520 O-ring

Mr Citrus

good thing it happened when u were only going 12 mph and that you and your bike are ok.
You should look into what caused your chain to fail like that though.

as for the chain its 520 O-ring
I think it was too loose, I heard it rattling a little this morning
would something like this work? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/61/21540/ITEM/Bikemaster-520-O-Ring-Chain.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch
And do I need new sprockets if I get a new chain? I'm a total noob at this.

Last edited:

Deanohh

To have it loose enough to clank aganist the swing arm and then fall off, its remotely possible that you might be going a little too long between the recommended chain maintenance intervals.

b_who

I think it was too loose, I heard it rattling a little this morning
would something like this work? Bikemaster 520 O-Ring Chain - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
And do I need new sprockets if I get a new chain? I'm a total noob at this.
Im not a 100% sure because i havent changed my chain yet but i think so

as for the sprocket if the teeth look like there starting to hook its time, i know the service manual has a god in-depth pic of when to change it but i'm not home to load it for you but i'm sure somebody on here will post with better info for you

FlyZ6R

Sorry to hear about the drop, but glad you're ok and the bike isn't too bad off. I hope you find out what the problem was and get it fixed!

Fizzer6R

wow bummer :( like said, good thing slow speed.

how many miles?

before putting on new chain, you really should check out every tooth on the sprockets to see if one is bent and caused premature chain ware.

maybe you can post a pic if you're not sure you need sprockets or not

CrazyCawi

sorry to hear bro....
you do need to change your sprockets especially after something like that IMO. Check tensions too make sure everything is tight and locked down where it needs to be, or bring it to your local shop

b_who

Here's a good picture i found of a comparison of an old sprocket that needs to be replaced compared to a new one

i attached an image to show u how to properly tighten a new sprocket if you need to put a new one on and it also has the torque setting

hope this helps

Attachments

Mr Citrus

So I am about to order a chain, and it says the master link is not included, but gives me a link to the masterlink that works for the chain. It gives me 2 options, clip masterlink and rivet master link.
Which should I get?

I'm also getting a chain breaker.

CrazyCawi

Rivet. Clip doesn't offer the same safety that the rivet will, nor the longevity. Do you have a rivet gun?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

some chains come with more than enough needed links, so you may need to cut down the chain to correct size using a chain breaker - they are not that expensive and you or someone else will end up needing one eventually

regarding clip vs. rivet, if you do rivet, be careful not to over tighten and mash pins too hard as they can literally bind a link and create a problem

CrazyCawi

you need the master link to connect though. When I bought my EK it came with it.

as for the chain breaker...his chain popped off it didn't actually break

Mr Citrus

as for the chain breaker...his chain popped off it didn't actually break
correct. I examined it last night and found a link that was bent in, no bueno
Thanks for all the input everyone! I really do appreciate it

Deanohh

correct. I examined it last night and found a link that was bent in, no bueno
Thanks for all the input everyone! I really do appreciate it
Your chain didn't fall off because it was worn out. Sprockets not worn out either. You neglected the adjustment and it came off.... it happens. Just get the new chain and put it on the existing sprockets. Do you feel confident enough to set the rivets properly on the new chain master link? If that link comes apart on the highway you could cause an accident that could kill you and others.

If I were you i'd get both the clip type and the rivet type master links. NOt that expensive. Then put the clip on yourself (properly) and it will be perfectly fine. Countless numbers of them are on the road every day. Then anytime you want, you could take it in to a shop where they have the tools and knowhow and have them rivet the other master link, if you'd feel better about a riveted one.

See red

Well, at least you learned to tighten your chain. Lube often and check the sag once a week. Glad your foot only got bruised, did you do the jump up and look to see if anybody was around? LOL! cause if there was the pride is probably more bruised than your foot.

Good luck with it though.

Mr Citrus

Your chain didn't fall off because it was worn out. Sprockets not worn out either. You neglected the adjustment and it came off....
Absolutely, I wasn't trying to make an excuse, I was just posting what I observed last night after the fact.
did you do the jump up and look to see if anybody was around?
I did the "jump up and shake fists angrily while walking in a circle around the bike, and then remembering to pick it up" dance

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member