Went Down On The Fourth Day...

Chaz

Before the Fact:
Well some of you might remember the thread about whether or not I was getting a good deal on the bike I was going to pick up. It's my second bike (started on a rebel 250 which i rode for a year, and I thought it would be a good step forward.) Been 4 days since I got her home, loved every minute with her until 3 hours ago.

Going Down:
I'm out with some buddies, (their all packed into my best friends truck) and we are acting like teenagers. After planning our late night activities, we were on our way out of the dollar general parking lot with the things we needed. Obviously we are idiotic teenagers and my marthy exhaust is semi-loud, they motion for me to rev it and I obviously agree. I rev the engine a couple of times and we see a girl next to her husband at a redbox turn and smile. So of course they say "Go ask her if she wants a ride!" I laugh, say ok and head back to the parking lot. Noticing that the girl is with her husband and this isn't going to go well with him I decide to turn the bike around in between the cars so if he did something stupid I was facing the exit and could get the hell out of dodge (Small parking lot, think like mcdonalds.) While making the turn my foot slipped on gravel and down she went on her right side. I quickly picked her back up, emotionally in pieces (I mean I just saved money for a year and a half while riding the rebel, sold the rebel saved for another 5 months and made the upgrade, and here I am 4 days later laying in the middle of the dollar general parking lot, if I want to cry at this point let me.) I was fine due to the fact that i wasn't going but a half a mile an hour. I pick her up and check for damage.

Damage:
As you can see in the 3 pictures I attached, all of the damage went on the right middle fairing (just my luck the biggest and most expensive piece.) Below my shooting stars there is some slight dents and paint chips, and above and on the top of my shooting stars there are some scratches and chips as well. I'm not sure if I got lucky or unlucky on the damage side of things. I guess you guys can let me know.

What I Did Wrong:
Obviously what "went wrong" was my foot slipping in the gravel, but in my opinion thats not what went wrong at all. What really went wrong was I was so interested in being a teenager, and impressing my friends, that at that moment I wasn't respecting the bike. The first thing that should have happened was me telling my friends "No." But even if I did decide to go through with it, the first thing I should have done was show the bike respect and not be so worried about what my friends are going to think and whether or not it's going to be funny. If I would have simply shown the bike respect and have been worried about the safety of my bike, I would have noticed the loose gravel and taken the necessary precautions to avoid/travel through it safely without dropping my beauty on the ground. Oh well I'm done rambling. I'm just really upset over this whole thing.

Attachments

Chaz

P.S: When I say nothing happened to me I mean nothing not even a little white scratch. Guess thats what that jacket is for.

mike

Not trying to be a D*ick but trying to show off and impress your friends is just going to get you hurt if not killed. As for trying to talk to the woman with her husband right there your lucky you didn't get your as$ kicked and drop your bike at the same time. Sounds like you got what you deserved for acting to immature. Glad to hear you did't get hurt and as for the scratches and all look at that as a reminder not to do stupid things. Sorry to be so harsh but man come on.

mtb4ever

We've all done our share of lame maneuvers on the bike. :zombie: Two words, frame sliders. I've heard they can prevent that kind of damage from slow speed drops. Sometimes higher speed drops. Fortunately, I cannot speak from experience....

Chaz

Not trying to be a D*ick but trying to show off and impress your friends is just going to get you hurt if not killed. As for trying to talk to the woman with her husband right there your lucky you didn't get your as$ kicked and drop your bike at the same time. Sounds like you got what you deserved for acting to immature. Glad to hear you did't get hurt and as for the scratches and all look at that as a reminder not to do stupid things. Sorry to be so harsh but man come on.
If you had read my post completely you will have noticed that I was very aware that it was a dumb decision. Therefor your comment isn't necessary just rude. All of that was already addressed.

Chaz

We've all done our share of lame maneuvers on the bike. :zombie: Two words, frame sliders. I've heard they can prevent that kind of damage from slow speed drops. Sometimes higher speed drops. Fortunately, I cannot speak from experience....
See I was really torn between getting them or not and decided against it because of a mix between "I'll never drop the bike I know what I'm doing" and the fact that I don't like the way they look at all. Oh well I also realized my rear brake foot lever is bent up and in, totally useable and my dad is going to bend it back for me.

Chaz

My msf instructor said friends are the downfall of most new riders .
Been riding for about 2 years, so I wouldn't consider myself new to anything but this bike.

Sorry this happened brother. Glad the damage is minimal!

I dropped my brand new FZ6R on the 2nd day if it makes you feel any better :D Just one of those silly things... Was making a tight left turn from a dead stop, stalled it cuz I wasn't used to the clutch and she dove for the ground. It was about the same as what would happen if you grabbed the front brake during a tight low speed turn. Luckily, only a couple light scuffs. Glad to see your damage isn't worse.

Also had a buddy drop his brand new Ducati Monster 696 on the way home from the dealership (and he was an experienced rider) so you're not alone in new bike oopsies.

JPaul

I wasn't respecting the bike.
It's the most common reason most of the young riders got stuck there self in problems. Anyhow, glad that you have recognize by yourself that what actually happens to you. Don't get yourself disappointed with this incident.

Enjoy you ride and ride safe:)

@mtb4ever suggestion of frame sliders is quiet considerable for you.

JPaul

I wasn't respecting the bike.
I know it's quiet difficult to control; the showoff kind of thing, specially when you have bunch of young mates with you. Anyhow, glad that you have recognize by yourself that what actually happens to you. Don't get yourself disappointed with this incident.

Enjoy your ride and ride safe:)

Last edited:

Chaz

Might really look into getting some no cut ones now.

Chaz

Also had a buddy drop his brand new Ducati Monster 696 on the way home from the dealership (and he was an experienced rider) so you're not alone in new bike oopsies.
Shoot I was upset over dropping a bike that cost me 3 grand and is 6 years old, I dont know what I would do if I was on my way home from the dealer with a brand new bike and it hit the ground. I'd be devastated.

pavmentsurfer

Frame sliders would have almost certainly prevented most, if not all of that damage. You don't have to like how they look... just understand they are there for a reason. If you crash you bike at high speeds the frame slider is useless. The bike is going to be wrecked. Their entire purpose is for low speed, fall over type scenarios.

IMO, frame sliders look cool because they show that the guy who has them cares about his bike. Get them.

FWIW, my first real street bike was a Suzuki Katana back in 2002... first day I had id I went to a female friends house to look cool and show off. Parked on her gravel driveway and got off the bike, which proceeded to immediately fall over. I feel your pain... and embarrassment. But lesson learned, so its not a total loss. The damage to your bike is VERY minimal. My SV650 has some similar light scratches (previous owner) and I don't even notice them.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

LocoLechero

get T-rex sliders they look bada$$ :D

csmcmillion

Those little scratches don't even count. That being said, I will quote my insurance agent for your future consideration:

Teenager + Sportbike = Carnage

catdoc

I stupidly got off my bike on the right side in my garage(with a slick painted floor). I park it with the left side against the wall. Bad decision as the bike came over onto the right side. I had installed OES no cut frame sliders literally a few hours before the incident and had zero damage to the bike(whew!). I highly recommend frame sliders!

Brent27

I'll second the frame sliders. I installed some no cut sliders this weekend and it was pretty easy. You'll just need to make sure you have the right tools - a torque wrench that goes up to the right torque settings and an 8mm hex socket. In my socket set I have about everything but hex sockets so I had to run out and get them.

Sounds like you learned your lesson. You have to always respect the motorcycle. Just be glad nothing worse happened. Sounds like you were worried that the guy could do something when you were trying to impress your friends... could be a bit of karma there. Hell, you never know... the guy could've taken swing at you and you'd swallow some teeth or have to beat it out of there so fast you wipe out. I have a lot of friends with scars and missing teeth due to lesser shenanigans.

Take care of yourself buddy! Just glad it's a few scratches and dented pride.