Welder

Any advice on a low end welder? I came upon a free acrapovic Shorty exhaust and was wanting to work on a custom exhaust. Pretty handy, just not sure what brand/type would be a good beginner one without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

Sent from my new EVO 4G LTE using tapatalk

Know the difference in a MIG flux core and a flux core welder?

Flux core is the type of wire, it has flux in the center of the wire vs needing a shielding gas like argon or argon mix. Its good for beginers but makes a nasty weld, and a flux core welder has no option of running a shielding gas. I have a couple millers one is strictly a mig and the other is a miller matic tig/arc combo, thats probably not what your looking for though. Personally I would go with a small miller or Lincoln both are good quality machines and a welder is not something I like to cheep out on. The lower end cheep flux core welded don't have a lot of adjustment for heat and flow which comes in real handy when trying to weld stainless and thinner materials.

I'm looking at Lincoln welders at Lowes...would you suggest a mig then or just the flux core? This being my first welder I am looking for simplicity.

Well both are called mig's but I would get one with the option of running a shielding gas, all mig's can run a flux core wire but I look at a welder as a long term investment, I've made lots of money with mine and saved lots of money too. Being that it's your 1st one no need to go crazy and buy the biggest most expensive one but I would still get a decent mig that as you get better you can do more with it, like welding aluminum, stainless and many other things including some pretty thick stuff too vs a strictly flux core mig.

Well the mig is only 89 more...that's for the classification and advice. I'll just get the mig and run flux core for now and have the availability to do more later. Huge thanks!

Ah, missed this one. Miller is what I have too, Lincoln, Hobart, are good products too.

I have no experience with any of them, but Harbor Freight has some really inexpensive welders. ( I avoided calling them cheap because I cannot vouch for their quality, but the prices are very low.)

Back