Warming up the tires

sldwys87

The Fz6r is my first streetbike and everytime I leave the house, I always kinda warm my tires up and get any debris off them. However, today I took it for a spin and didn't really give them a chance to "warm up" which nothing happened or anything. I only do this for my comfort, do most of the riders here do the same? I know it helps but how important is it?

flyingminno

The only time I really warm them up, is when heading up to the canyons on a cooler day, like today when I took a fast ride. But usually, no, I don't.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
About the only warming up they get is during my rides. The times that I deliberately warm them up is when I know I've got some great twisties coming up and I will do the Nascar "side-to-side deal" to get the sidewalls of the tires warmed up.

sldwys87

Thats usually what I do as well. I just have always thought that since its alot smaller tire than a car . You would need to warm them up for maxium performance. I'll keep the "nascar" style method to only when going to the canyons, instead of everytime.lol

NYGirl

Guy I ride with, rider for 20+ years, cautioned me, in NY's cool fall weather, to "take it easy on the turns until the tires warm up, cold tires and cold pavement could cause a loss of grip through the turn and down you go". We're riding in 55-60 degree weather, and being a noob I adhere to his stern admonishment!

vitrox

i haven't actually ridden my fz6r, so I have no real world comments on the tires it came with. But just from looking at them, it seems it would be hard to get any heat into that tire at recommended pressures. If you're worried about the tires getting hot, lower the psi and allow that carcass to flex and generate heat.

I do warm the tires on my r1 when i'm racing and running slicks. On the streets, most high end tires will heat up fast with a small amount of spirited riding.

sldwys87

Thanks for that info, I guess now knowing that scrubbing the tires is really not necessary... after a few mins of riding the tires will be fine.

llervero

It is not necesarry unles you are really pushing the bike traction to its limits. most of the people I know would barely reach that tresshold unless they are really, really pushing their bikes their limits and riding at speeds way above the speed limit. How many people on this board have heard anybody or experience thenselfs lost of traction due to cold tires, not due to they went over a painted surface, gravel, sand, water or improper braking or decelerating thru a curve. Then we could talk about tire warming. Also on this note is never bad to take extra steps. But to answer your question, it is not required for everyday driving.

Bigevildoer

How many people on this board have heard anybody or experience thenselfs lost of traction due to cold tires, not due to they went over a painted surface, gravel, sand, water or improper braking or decelerating thru a curve. .
Me.
I've lost traction at a very low speed (15 mph) when coming to a stop on cold tires (rode maybe 300 yards at this point, thermometer about 37 degrees F at 7am). Very gentle brake pressure ended up causing a wheel lock-up. Glad I was going slow and got it back under control without too much difficulty.

cbzdel

only time I do it is if I am gonna take a on/off ramp pretty hard or if I am heading up to the twistys in the mountains.

Just for the daily ride I dont think I use more than a 3" contact patch of tire haha!

cbzdel

Me.
I've lost traction at a very low speed (15 mph) when coming to a stop on cold tires (rode maybe 300 yards at this point, thermometer about 37 degrees F at 7am). Very gentle brake pressure ended up causing a wheel lock-up. Glad I was going slow and got it back under control without too much difficulty.
Front or rear? was it wet out? or icey? Only time I have locked up the front tire was after I washed the bike and there was soapy water on the ground and I was going about 5mph and hit the braked hard, but I was testing it to see if it would happen so I was ready for it..

ramflyer1899

Me.
I think that's a result of too much brake not tire temp.

Tmak73

Didn't want to start a new thread and had a question related to this topic...
I was out riding today (70+ degrees F) and I had my rear tire slip when going through some corners at about 20 +/- 5 mph through town. I am still running the stock tires and I am not sure what could be causing it. We had a lot of rain last night too so whatever sand could have been left over from the sweepers should have been washed away..

Anyone have an educated guess as to why it was doing this? Pretty sure my tires were warm at the time that it happened too.

JSP

Super Moderator
I was out riding today (70+ degrees F) and I had my rear tire slip when going through some corners at about 20 +/- 5 mph through town. I am still running the stock tires and I am not sure what could be causing it. We had a lot of rain last night too so whatever sand could have been left over from the sweepers should have been washed away..

Anyone have an educated guess as to why it was doing this? Pretty sure my tires were warm at the time that it happened too.
What PSI you have in it? Could have still been some sand or something in the road you did not see as well. What kind of wear does your back tire have?

Rookasaki

Sometimes it just happens... Oil,water,rocks,sand etc. Even if you had your tires smoking hot, it could happen :)

Tmak73

Yea this has happened in the past to me before. I am not sure if its just the stock tires or what. I am running 38 rear and 32 in the front if I remember correctly. May have been some sand but I had not noticed anything. Tread on the tire seems to be pretty good but I am starting to consider getting some different tires.

RoadTrip

It may all be in my head, but I could swear that tire stickiness and heating follow this sort of behavior (BT-016's / BT-016 Pro's):

1) 0-500 miles (new), takes longer to heat up, be careful first 20minutes (street)
2) 500-1500 miles, the golden period, stickiest they will ever be, sticky out of the gate, 5 miles and they are plenty sticky for just about anything
3) 1500-EOL, slow decline in performance, have to be more careful toward the end of life (EOL), they are good out the gate, but overall stickiness has gone down a tad, of course profile degradation may be a player as well.

I can tell you that I have felt my BT-016's at different temperatures, and they are dusty feeling when cold, but when hot they are literally have a tar like stickiness on the surface, it's insane, I had no idea they get that sticky when hot 'til I felt them one day, and they were really hot, too!