Warm up / RPM limit before operating temperature

dekaliber

What's the proper warm up procedure for the FZ6R? In the owners manual for my cars, it recommends not to let the engine idle to warm up. Instead, you're supposed to drive off at low speeds and keep the engine speeds relatively low (I generally don't exceed 3K RPM out of a redline of 7K-8K) until the oil gets up to temperature, which takes around 10 minutes or so. The rationale for doing this is that it warms up the car much more quickly than just letting it idle, and it warm up the operating fluids in the transmission and differential in addition to the engine oil if the car is in gear and driving.

Is there a similar RPM limit advised for bikes since the RPM limit is much higher? What do you guys see as a typical coolant temperature reading when the bike has gotten up to operating temperature? At what point is it safe to go to redline?

JSP

Super Moderator
Basically you can ride right off the bat. I will usually let it warm up for at least a couple mins just so it registers a temp, but thats not a requirement. Usually around 160 is when I stop worrying about it and get on it.

NoDoze

My dealer mechanic instructed (before releasing the bike to me) to warm the bike up to 117°ish before riding off. I've been following that ever since but I do not know if that's the right way?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

FitZ6R

Start engine, ride bike.

Warming up the tires is a much more significant concern. Pay attention to your tires and the engine will be fine.

Sage

Depends on the day, I usually start it, get my helmet on, gloves and zip the jacket then take off, but usually take it somewhat easy on it until the engine/tires are warmed up. Wait until the running temp is steady before you start pinning it imo.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rookasaki

I wait till the bike displays a temp... Gives the oil time to circulate and the engine a nice stretch before take off. :)