Viper Exhaust

Stricken

I was inspired by a member here who did a viper exhaust mod on his FZ6R. Everything turned out ok. Bending the headers is a real PITA. I used a bench press bar to bend the headers. I slipped the bar into each holes and used it as a lever. This requires 2 people to do but I had no one to help me so it took me longer than expected. As far as connecting the exhaust to the headers, I shopped around in Autozone, Advance autoparts, and Pep Boys to look for an adapter. I found an adapter in Advance autoparts that slipped right into the header and the exhaust with perfect tightness. I also bought a 2" clamp to secure the adapter on the headers.

I will update this thread with a video.

Attachments

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

Look great!!! But I have to be honest with you here. Get a real exhaust clamp! If you go to Supertrapp website they have one for about $10.00 I believe. I'm sure you can find similar somewhere else, but the one you are using right now doesn't live up to your hard work. It's like wearing sneakers with a Tuxedo.:rolleyes:
I really like how this was done without welding and a torch.
What is the part number for the Supertrapp part?
What is the part number for the Advance autoparts adapter.

I can weld on either adapter with an oxy-acetylene torch setup.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

Supertrapp.com

Exhaust clamp 2" PN# 094-2000 $15.90

SSteel Can 10" long, 2" dia. PN# 443-2010 $219.00

I like that can set-up. It give you some options to tune. Summitracing got the same exhaust for a bit cheaper. I got my R6 headers, and I will get this can next month. My money is all tie up right now... getting married next month.
I saw an adapter from the Viper can to the header.What is that part number?
If I can do a mock up and get everything bent and aligned, I can weld on the bracket for the muffler support and remove the unit and weld it properly and then it'll be a 1 piece unit with no clamps.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stricken

Hey guys I am currently at work so I am not able to give you the part number for the adapter. As soon as I get home I will find my receipt and post the part number.

Stricken

I was inspired by a member here who did a viper exhaust mod on his FZ6R. Everything turned out ok. Bending the headers is a real PITA. I used a bench press bar to bend the headers. I slipped the bar into each holes and used it as a lever. This requires 2 people to do but I had no one to help me so it took me longer than expected. As far as connecting the exhaust to the headers, I shopped around in Autozone, Advance autoparts, and Pep Boys to look for an adapter. I found an adapter in Advance autoparts that slipped right into the header and the exhaust with perfect tightness. I also bought a 2" clamp to secure the adapter on the headers.

I will update this thread with a video.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmtVMri4Gg]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R Exhaust[/ame]

TigerGenetics

WOW! I really like the sound of that. Great job on this project.

lmacasiljig

Sounds good! Wow!

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

Nice setup man. Some people talked about just putting a dent in the headers where it touched the oil pan. Would that have been feasible for you or was bending them your only option?

Stricken

Nice setup man. Some people talked about just putting a dent in the headers where it touched the oil pan. Would that have been feasible for you or was bending them your only option?
I did not think denting the headers would be enough for the headers to mount. If you do dent it though, you will have to dent the headers quite a bit and will restrict the exhaust considerably.

Stricken

Sound really nice! But Dude!!! Did you really bend the primary pipe??? :eek:
Which one is the primary pipe? I bent 4 pipes. Not sure if those are the primary ones.

btastarsky

Its nice to see that my setup is catching steam. Gotta love the viper cans. Only cans i will ever use on bikes when possible.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

The primary are the 4 pipes connecting to the head. Your best option would have been to bend the headers right after the collector. But if your happy with your set-up no big deal, but you may have giving up few HP. Still sound really good! :canada: (im canadian)
Unless he flattened the pipes or reduced the inside diameter, I am wondering where he gave up some HP if he bent the pipe at the engine mount, midway down the pipe, at the bottom bend, at the 4 to 2 collector or the 2 to 1 collector?
Your statement "you may have giving up few HP." just seems to be missing anything scientific if there was no redction is pipe size or shape (flattening).

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stricken

Ok im finally done with the exhaust mod project! I actually heated and bended the pipes back again since there was a dent on the primary headers. I got those straightened out for the most part and also wrapped the headers with an exhaust wrap i got from advance auto parts for $39.99.

Here is the adapter for the r6 headers so that you dont have to weld it:
Advance Auto Parts: 2.00" O.D. x 1.75" I.D. Reducer by Perfection - Part 548507

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VyX2BQRWt8]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R Viper Exhaust Project Complete![/ame]

Spunky99

OK People.....

This is starting to get to be a great thread with all the right parts to make this an easy fit.
Lets put together the list that is needed and document what needs to be done.

02-06, R6 Header (eBay has them from $20.00 and up) Are the years correct?
reducer from header to can, 2.00" O.D. x 1.75" I.D. (Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys, about $2.00)
2" muffler clamp (Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Pep Boys, about $2.59)
Viper Micro Oval w/ Carbon fiber tip (Flyncycle.com, $199.99)
Muffler hanger Can we get more info on the length, part number?
Bolts and nuts What do we need to complete this?
TB JuiceBox or PC V (about $225.00 to $270.00 depending on which one and where you buy it.
We need.
More information on where the oil pan interference is and exactly where to bend the header to make it fit right.

I'll be doing mine tomorrow. I still need the muffler hanger and some bolts and nuts or rubber washers etc. I'll detail what I use. Bolts/nuts/washers will be stainless hex cap hardware for rust prevention and to match the bike.
I'll photograph where the interference is and where I make the bend with photos and video.
The reducer just snugly slips inside the header and no clamp. The clamp goes onto the 2" O.D. side on the Viper can and that is what the hanger connects to. I will be using the flat black VHT Flame Proof silica-ceramic coating on all the parts except the muffler hanger and the Viper can.
I will load the TB full Valle exhaust map into my PC V and hope for the best.
any other maps out there?