Upshift

porky45

So I find myself upshifting to 6th as soon as I can. I think I still have the car mentality that my RPM's should be as low as possible and forget that this thing doesn't redline until 11k instead of 7k...

How about everyone else? I assume if you're commuting you probably do the same thing... What RPM do you usually cruise at on city streets? 5k, 7k, 9k?

cbzdel

I was under the same mentality for a long time..

now I shift between 5k-7k but once I am gone accelerating I put it into 5th or 6th, even if I am going 35...

My acceleration is a little slower since I have a +1 front so when I was stock it was usually shifting around 5k..

I try to keep the RPMs low when cruising just for the better MPG's if I am on the mountain roads, I usually don't go above 4th unless I am on a straight..

Craxican

yeah...when im out just to commute i usually put it into 6th as well...when i'm out riding for fun, i try to hold off to about 7 - 8 before i shift...but that's because i have -1/+2 sprocket and my rpms jump fast...before the sprocket swap i was shifting sooner...unless racing...then i'd red it every time lol

JonKerr

Elite Member

GoGreen09

RPMs are your friend:D

SilentT

Shifter

Has anyone had a problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear

Craxican

i believe that there was already a post about this...but yes...i have experienced this problem as well...but primarily when i shift too soon and have had less trouble with this since my sprocket swap, but that could be because my rpms are higher at the same speeds

llervero

Shifting is relatively to what kind of driving you are doing. When commuting or cruising shifting at lower RPM is whats need it.(plus saves gas) when driving more agressively shifting on higher rpm is required to keep the rpm in the power range. It all depends on your bikes response to throtle input. If the response is weak for what your trottle input that means higher RPm , but if the response is what you want and need at the moment then there is your RPM.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I do most my commuting and cruising with my rpm's in the 4-5k range. This gives me a nice balance between fuel efficiency and the power band to get out of harms way if need be.

cbzdel

Has anyone had a problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear
you have had quite a few posts about this, why dont you take it back to the dealer to take a look at it?

arcflash316

Honestly I try not to watch my tachometer, I listen to the sound of the engine to know when to shift. I have been riding bikes on the dirt for 25+ years and you don't have anything to gauge RPM's and you have to just listen and know whats the appropriate timing for a shift... as far as crusing I keep it in 3rd or 4th gear all the way up to 60 mph.....I am not too worried about gas mileage since my FZ beats the hell out of my Chevy Silverado any day of the week:D

mchury

i pretty much shift at like 9-10 almost everytime, unless in traffic. so in the city i barely get outta 3rd. on the bypass im goin threw every gear all shes got. lol