Upgrade advice

TokenSSDD

This is the closest I've been to upgrading from the FZ6R. A couple of guys that live in my building ride for Derty Boyz and have been trying to get me to join. I wouldn't mind riding with them except they ride pretty fast and there's no way I can keep up (they all ride GSX-R1000s/Hayabusas/ZX-14s/etc.). The guys told me about this dealership that they deal with exclusively so I went up there this morning to get some chain lube. While I was looking around I noticed this BEAUTIFUL 2009 GSX-R750 in red/black that was listed for $7499. When I told the guy that I was recommended there by they group he told me he would try to cut me a deal. After sitting down and crunching the numbers he said he would give me the bike for $4500 OTD if I swap him the FZ6R. He was really interested in the FZ6R because he had only had one on the lot before and there was a ton of interest in it. Considering all the variables (damage on the FZ6R from when I dropped it + 75XX miles on the FZ6R vs. 4XXX on the GSX-R) I'm thinking I'm getting a steal here. I just need a second (or third, or, fourth lol) opinion. Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: posted a pic of the bike. It's actually a 2006, not an '09. I was thinking of the other one he had. Still, it has an FE, steering stabilizer and sliders already on it...

Attachments

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Steal or not.... NEVER ride to try and keep up with ANYONE. You WILL wreck.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

TokenSSDD

Steal or not.... NEVER ride to try and keep up with ANYONE. You WILL wreck.
True. I shouldn't have emphasized that part of the story because I don't plan on joining those guys. The SoA told me they regularly cruise at 100+ (!!!). But at the very least being cool with them helps in situations like these.

FZ6Rob85

Token, Blue Book trade-in value for your bike is 3635 (which the damage from the drop would decrease), while BB retail value for the 750 is listed at 8450. The difference between the two values is 4815, so as far as money goes you are indeed getting a steal. At this point its up to your preference between the bikes!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

TokenSSDD

Trade in for your bike is $3,635 on Kelly Blue Book. Sounds like a good deal to me. Enjoy the bike....but I wouldn't recommend riding with them AND trying to keep up. If they take off, don't try to keep up, because like Jay said, you WILL crash.

Edit: Doh!! Rob beat me to it. That is what happens when you hit reply before you do the research....
Token, Blue Book trade-in value for your bike is 3635 (which the damage from the drop would decrease), while BB retail value for the 750 is listed at 8450. The difference between the two values is 4815, so as far as money goes you are indeed getting a steal. At this point its up to your preference between the bikes!
Thanks for the help guys. I doubt the bike is close to that because the damage is mostly just little spots of road rash and scuff but you'd pretty much have to get new fairings on the clutch side in addition to new black plastic pieces on that side and fix the mirror mount (it's bent pretty bad) on that side. It'd be a lot to fix. Shoot if he told me $2500 I would have been surprised.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Alex6

OOhh the dilemas!:)

Good luck with the decision!

One thing to think about kinda along the lines of what others have posted, with the different style of riding, how much do you use your 6R for commuting and how long is the commute if you do? Could your wrists/back handle that long on a SS?
I was told before that if your wrists/back hurt, you are doing it wrong. The rider should support his upper body by using his core muscles and not to load the clip-ons with his weight.
I believe it is very hard to do on the long rides, so that is why SS is not best choise for touring. ;)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

maybe see if you can run a VIN check on the vehicle? sometimes good deals do pop up. but, just get to know the dealership and how they conduct business. if they have a good reputation in the community then they probably are legit. but, do some due diligence and don't' just get dazzled by the bike and the price alone...

objectively, super sports truly are for more spirited riding, fast riding, and/ or track... lol they don't really make for optimal commuter bikes or touring bikes, because (a) you can't really carry any cargo on them, and (b) the riding position is more aggressive. like alex said, on long rides even if you are riding with correct posture, body fatigue sets in much faster- esp when going downhill. can't fight gravity...

that said, they are a LOT of fun. i do miss my 6R, but i also love the R6. but, they are very different bikes.

good luck and keep us posted.