Underglow Kit

MustGoFaster

Finally gonna take a crack at the underglow kit that the wifey got me for Christmas, LoL. Workin' 65 hours a week doesn't leave me as much time as I'd like for such things, but that planets have aligned and tonight I'ma dooo eeet! (Hopefully)

Anyways, the instructions call for placing both leads on the battery. Now, I've heard from a few people I know as well as having read on previous threads that it's better just to ground the negative instead of hooking it to the battery, as this can drain it.

I'm not concerned about leaving the lights on while the bike is parked, so hooking it to the battery is fine. Also, was it ever determined how many mA's the switch has to be for LED's if I want to hook it up later to the dummy switch on the clutch side console? I was reading some of the previous threads on the matter it didn't seem like a conclusion was reached. Just fishin' for info, if anyone's got any to spare. :thumbup:

Neme

Did you ever hook up the LEDs to a switch in the "dummy"? I'm debating doing it, how did it work out for you? I don't know if you can get a high enough Amperage switch that is small enough to fit in the dummy.

Neme

What is a remote switch? I've searched I would need a relay in order for the 3A SPST switch to work with LEDs. But then again LEDs don't draw much. I don't know how much mine are going to be drawing.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Neme

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I can use any Amperage switch as long as it is a remote switch and not directly in line?

Neme

I could use any switch inline with the positive? It doesn't have to have a certain amperage rating?

I undertand the routing of the wires, switch and fuse I just don't know what rating switch I need. I don't want my bike to burn :(

Neme

Also, since I installed my flushies the running wires aren't used. I was just going to run them off of this power lead. Is this safe?

Neme

Woah how bout that. I submitted the reply and it turns out you already answered my question. Thanks! Now back to the switch amp ratings, any switch will do or does it have to be a certain rating?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Neme

I'm thinking maybe 100 TOPS. I don't want to be seen from space. But, that would be cool wouldn't it.. hmmm. Ideas.

Should I tap into both sides running lights on the front or is just one side OK?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Neme

Alright thanks guys! I'll take a trip to radio shack and explain the situation to him. Put my trust in the geek and let him pick me a switch and fuse that would work.

Wait, do I need a fuse or is the running light leads already fused?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Neme

Alright thanks for all your help. I plan on running my LEDs off one side running lamp and connecting my Angel/Devil eyes to the other side when I get my HID.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!