Unable to downshift from 2nd to 1st

anticsd

So was on a highway today going home in 5th gear @ 60ish mph when traffic was up ahead. Naturally I brake downshift slowly, but noticed that I don't feel the "click" from 2nd to 1st. At first I thought I was already in 1st when I came into a full stop. I was wrong after traffic starts moving again, me from a full stop stalled my bike thinking it was in first. Embarrassing as it was I pulled my bike over to the shoulder trying to kick it into first (literally stomping on it too after a while). Maybe it was the noob rider in me but I had the clutch all the way in to the handlebar.

I only have about 110 miles on the bike so far and was wondering if this was normal. Also in high speeds there is a weird noise coming from the bike (sounds like 2 coins rubbing together)

Again, I'm a new rider and owner. Any advice will be great!

Thank you!

FastFreddy

Don't stomp on it.

Occasionally if it doesn't click into first easy when stopped, rick the bike back or forward 6 inches then try again.

The 3 dogs for first gear probably weren't lining up with the slots in the side of first gear.

I have noticed it won't go into first easy when downshifting unless you are going slowly and blip it in. Normally you don't need to downshift to first, but come to a stop in 2nd gear, then select 1st to get going again.

Yes, you definitely have to give a blip for 1st gear, but you have to be very accurate doing that as normally you don't want too many revs when coming to a stop. Just let it stop from 2nd, then pull the clutch in when stopped.

anticsd

Thanks for the reply, I was practicing downshifting blipping earlier (still trying to get the hang of it) but didn't want to apply those skills on a highway where I'm not really great at blipping yet.

Cerebus

I have the same problem occasionally. If the bike isn't moving, the 2 to 1 shift isn't always successful and I've stalled it a couple times. When it happens, I typically have to go from 2 to N, let the clutch out, then clutch in, at which point it shifts to 1 like it should.

I get the coin noise too, the yamaha dealer told me everything was fine. Owned my bike since new, always serviced on time, the noise has always been there!

anticsd

Thing is I was moving while downshifting, it just got stuck on 2nd and couldn't go to first @ 10~mph...

FastFreddy

I just went for a ride, yes, it should definitely go into 1st at 10 mph whether you blip it a bit or not. Hopefully your gearbox loosens up at bit.

Alex6

... and to add to all the above - you should be able to roll from the stop in the 2nd gear, just be gentle on the throttle/clutch and the bike should do fine. In the stop-and-go traffic you don't need to launch as if in the MotoGP race anyways.

pandyman

My 2013 is much the same (only 130kms on it so far) , I'm hoping it loosens up a bit as the one i test rode with about 400kms was much smoother into gears both up and down.

linkgt

Don't stomp on it.

Occasionally if it doesn't click into first easy when stopped, rick the bike back or forward 6 inches then try again.

The 3 dogs for first gear probably weren't lining up with the slots in the side of first gear.

I have noticed it won't go into first easy when downshifting unless you are going slowly and blip it in. Normally you don't need to downshift to first, but come to a stop in 2nd gear, then select 1st to get going again.

Yes, you definitely have to give a blip for 1st gear, but you have to be very accurate doing that as normally you don't want too many revs when coming to a stop. Just let it stop from 2nd, then pull the clutch in when stopped.
This has happened to me twice since owning the bike in 2011. Last time was a few weeks ago. I turned off the bike, when I turned it back on, it would not go into 1st gear. I did not know about moving it back and forth like that though, i just kept kicking hard on it :(. thanks for the tip :)

SpawnXX

Premium Member

EsrTek

I found when that happens to let the clutch out just enough is starts to engage.
Disengage clutch and it pops into gear as easy as normal.

I had a second issue that the above trick wouldn't work..somehow my adjustable levers got set to 1 and I had clutch set for spot 4 of 6. So I wasn't actually getting clutch to fully disengage, and unable to shift to 1st. Lucky, that was a short period of 1 ride and not ridden long-term like that.
So I always look at mine now before I ride. Might be something for thought w/ others...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

yillbs

Has it happened again? I think my bike has the same problem
Its not a problem. And it will hapen when you downshift above 5mph from time to time. Its normal. Push it into first and let off the clutch just a tiny bit so it grabs the plates. Its a semi budget bike the tranny isnt a beast. Butnits 100% normal.

pkoko

Its not a problem. And it will hapen when you downshift above 5mph from time to time. Its normal. Push it into first and let off the clutch just a tiny bit so it grabs the plates. Its a semi budget bike the tranny isnt a beast. Butnits 100% normal.
So we have a cheap tranny? or this normal with all motorcycles?

yillbs

So we have a cheap tranny? or this normal with all motorcycles?
Its not cheap per say. It happens on all bikes. Ive just noticed ours is more frequent.its more of an annoyance than anything. The more miles you put on it the better you will learn to do it natuarally. So it will feel as though its just broke in. When in reality you just got use to it :)