Twist of the Wrist II DVD

rregal

Last edited:

b_who

Nice, that book helped me out a ton too.

HIGHLY recommended by me also ;)

roadrat

Another Great Book

Twist of the Wrist was a great read - it helped me with basic riding techniques common to the track and street, like always keeping my eye on the turn exit. The DVD sounds even better.

Another book I like is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It covers really practical techniques of street riding like dealing with heavy urban traffic, riding on freeways, riding in the rain and at night and so forth.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933958359/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1931993033&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DSTMZSRFB9AKJH481FH]Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (9781933958354): David L. Hough: Books[/ame]

iSpoolin

Very nice, I swear by what that DVD teaches.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Demond

Thanks for the 411! I'm a newb who just got a new bike, and I've been searching for more training.

RoadTrip

I read and watched a good part of TWTII (need to finish it someday). Well, I must at least throw this out there, at first I was confused about the need to roll the throttle through corners. I think I followed this rule a little too closely, and actually was riding a bit above my limit, but it helped me progress into faster cornering. The material would have you believe that a throttle roll on should be used on every corner, however for street riding corners vary widely and throttling through all of them doesn't really make sense, like downhill hairpin cork screws - I just let the bike mostly rail with gravity on these, for example.

My point is that I feel the material is geared toward track riding and can lead to riding a bit fast for the street, I mean the fundamentals are there (e.g. chopping vs smooth rolling of throttle and SR's (survival reactions)), but for me the key is to temper the concepts with common sense when riding on the streets.

Part of the fun of riding, for me, is the evolution of my own technique; I have ridden upright, hanging off, tucked, and lots of ways inbetween; I believe good riding is a combination of listening to others and trusting your own intuition.

FastFreddy

This is fantastic information and it made a big difference to my riding.

I used to simply balance the throttle before so it was similar feeling to riding a bicycle going around a corner. You have to do this if you've gone in slightly too fast anyway.

Yes, for street riding its a bit different.

There's nothing wrong with turning in slowly and following the road when riding in the country. You don't have to turn as hard and fast as possible on every corner. Staying wide at corner entry definitely helps even if turning slowly.

On a city street at street speeds, you can definitely turn in too fast, it feels like the front wheel slides a bit when you turn too fast and you have to catch it. I notice this on slow/tight 90 degree turns.

The other thing that I had to double check is his emphasis on counter-steering. But if you read closely, he's only counter-steering to get to the lean angle he wants, from that point on, you are NOT counter-steering but both hands are relaxed and you let the bike 'have its head' so to speak, this is also the moment you start to get on the gas. To back this point up, you can actually take your hands off mid corner on a downhill bend and the bike will hold the line. Also watching Kevin Schwantz come out of the last turn of the championship, he stands up with his hands pumping as he's mid-corner. (I'll link if I find it, it stuck in my mind seeing this).

-------------
Deep in on the brakes, The other style : Alot of riders actually go into corners braking all the way until the apex, this doesn't feel right to me, I like to brake early and get balanced on the throttle early. I suspect for some corners, you have to do this style anyway.
-------------
In between these 2 styles would be what they call U-ing the corner, rather than V-ing it. Basically keeping the speed up throughout the corner rather than slow-in fast-out for every corner.

FastFreddy

Alot of corners have a "turn slowly at the start, stay wide, wait for it, wait for it, now turn fast and then get on the gas approach", Keith discusses this more eloquently too in the book.

pegado

Before I went to a racetrack I watched 'Twist of the Wrist II' DVD and practiced what he teaches. It is a GREAT DVD, no doubt about it.

I also recommend MOTOVUDU. It is more focused on superbikes on racetracks. The creator disagrees with some TotW's dogmas, but nevertheless it also adds a lot to your riding skills.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I love your self awareness