Triumph Sprint Review?

ajskillz13

Has anyone ridden a Triumph Sprint sport tourer?

I'm weighing my options of putting over $1,000 into my bike to make it easier to travel with or just upgrading to something with more touring power and the luggage already included.

I know the FJR is really nice, but I may be able to find a better deal on a Sprint. Just wanting to get any responses comparing our bike to the Sprint. I'm most interested in:

* Ergonomics / Comfort
* Seat Height
* Feel
* Weight

Thanks gang!

Last edited:

Spunky99

My 2 cents.

Both the Triumph and Yamaha are a larger motorcycle with touring as it's special purpose. With a 1050cc vs 1298cc motor, it has the power to take 2 people fully loaded up hills at speed and be comfortable for hours. My butt always got sore after an hour on the stock FZ6R saddle but rode several 3 hour rides without much discomfort. Just kind of a hot spot in places.
You seem to be wanting a comparison between a Sprint and a FJR tho.

I have the Daytona 955i and the 3 cylinder engine is torq city compared to a 4 cyl. A 1050 is very similar just more power in all RPMs and bulletproof. I know a guy with a FJR and he has had cam chain tensioner issues. Noisy and Yamaha not honoring the warranty. He ended up replacing the tensioner and chain himself and is sueing.

31.5' Sprint seat height vs the adjustable 31.69" to 32.48". A tad taller.
583 lb vs 644 lb means they are both heavy with the Yamaha the fat boy.
128 BHP @ 80 ft lbs torque vs 145 BHP @ 99 ft lbs looks good for the Yamaha but this is at 6300 RPM vs 7000 RPM on the Yami. So the low end torque of the Triumph is still signifigant at a lower RPM and a smaller displacement.
6 speeds on the Triumph beats an old 5 speed gearbox anytime.
For touring, a shaft is almost maintenance free in the wet weather so the Yami gets the plus there.

Go sit on them both....

CrazyCawi

My 2 cents.

Both the Triumph and Yamaha are a larger motorcycle with touring as it's special purpose. With a 1050cc vs 1298cc motor, it has the power to take 2 people fully loaded up hills at speed and be comfortable for hours. My butt always got sore after an hour on the stock FZ6R saddle but rode several 3 hour rides without much discomfort. Just kind of a hot spot in places.
You seem to be wanting a comparison between a Sprint and a FJR tho.

I have the Daytona 955i and the 3 cylinder engine is torq city compared to a 4 cyl. A 1050 is very similar just more power in all RPMs and bulletproof. I know a guy with a FJR and he has had cam chain tensioner issues. Noisy and Yamaha not honoring the warranty. He ended up replacing the tensioner and chain himself and is sueing.

31.5' Sprint seat height vs the adjustable 31.69" to 32.48". A tad taller.
583 lb vs 644 lb means they are both heavy with the Yamaha the fat boy.
128 BHP @ 80 ft lbs torque vs 145 BHP @ 99 ft lbs looks good for the Yamaha but this is at 6300 RPM vs 7000 RPM on the Yami. So the low end torque of the Triumph is still signifigant at a lower RPM and a smaller displacement.
6 speeds on the Triumph beats an old 5 speed gearbox anytime.
For touring, a shaft is almost maintenance free in the wet weather so the Yami gets the plus there.

Go sit on them both....

wow amazing comparison, thank you! I have considered the same myself actually.

amg14

before i landed on the fz6r i was seriously looking at the Triumph Sprint and a Ducati ST. the breaking point came down to pricing for me and more specifically maintainence. the costs of a used Ducati or Triumph was just as much as my new fz6r however they wernt coming with any warrenty and after talking to their respective dealerships, fixes and tune ups on the Yamaha are significantly less.

nevertheless, if money is not an issue, i would go with the triumph (personal preference).

Spunky99

Triumph parts are expensive..That is a fact!
Triumphs also lose a lot of value very quickly too...so reselling is usually at a loss.
I bought my bike cheap...and do all the work myself.

Good points there amg14

See red

I owned both, I would say as far as the hardd numbers, the triumph LOOKS better. However, the triumph is more leaned towards the sport end of things. It doesn't go much further than ours does. If you want more touring, FJR. It is a great touring bike. Figure it as a larger version of the 6r. It won't blaze your arse off, but it will go close to 285miles a tank, and do it a little more comfortable. Both those bikes are close to each other when you ride them. Honestly, numbers are stupid, go and test ride them. I looked at the kawi 1400 and that thing is in my opinion absolutely horrible!! It's hot, can't believe I am saying it but tooooo much power for that style bike, and it is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajskillz13

before i landed on the fz6r i was seriously looking at the Triumph Sprint and a Ducati ST. the breaking point came down to pricing for me and more specifically maintainence. the costs of a used Ducati or Triumph was just as much as my new fz6r however they wernt coming with any warrenty and after talking to their respective dealerships, fixes and tune ups on the Yamaha are significantly less.

nevertheless, if money is not an issue, i would go with the triumph (personal preference).
A used ST3 would also be high up on my list, but I hear you on costs. Plus it puts me an extra 30-45 minutes away from a dealer.

I will check out the Ducati and Triumph when I get a chance. The FJR feels nice, but it has less appeal to me. I want something I can use for about any situation. Maybe that's why I should stay with the FZ!

amg14

A used ST3 would also be high up on my list...
I want something I can use for about any situation. Maybe that's why I should stay with the FZ!
a ducati ST bike is going to work well for any situation; just as a fz6r would. the ST's are just better bikes all around. all be it more expensive, its like the difference between driving a civic Si vs a bmw M3. both are good, quick cars but the BMW is better.

Attachments

Spunky99

A Ducati touring bike is still sexy.....

Can't say that for the rest.....

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ajskillz13

A Ducati touring bike is still sexy.....

Can't say that for the rest.....
No doubt... and the wife agrees!

Found an ST3 for $5,200 in South Carolina, but I'm thinking the sale is over or it's a phony. The phone number was disconnected. If I could steal one at that price in great shape and low miles, there will be no more debate.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

With all that weight, you can probably push around a Honda Civic too...;)

;)

ajskillz13

Well, I got the opportunity to check out the Triumph Sprint ST and GT yesterday. Here are some thoughts.

* Both had more aggressive ergos for the rider than the FZ by far!

* The GT has much more passenger comfort and touring capabilities. (Side bags fit full face helmets unlike ST)

* ST is more compact for the rider and has a shorter seat height.

* Passenger sits WAY higher than the rider on the ST. More exaggerated in person than in pictures.

Overall, I determined that I would go with the GT if I bit on the Triumph. Bad news is that they aren't old enough to get a good deal on a used one yet. Dealer had one on sale for $12k and change. Can't justify that switch at this moment like I could stealing an ST for $6500 and selling my bike for a little less. I just don't see the ST as being any improvement towards touring from our bike as far as ergos. It's actually worse.

Still can't justify $1,200 worth of hard bags on the FZ when I see an upgrade on the bike in the future. Maybe I'm chasing an impossible combination of a sport tourer. I just wish there was a lighter version of the FJR. It's a nice looking and functional bike, but I don't see the need for the weight and the 1,300 cc. Make the same bike with 1,000 cc and trim the weight down to 500-550 lbs and I'm in!

See red

Well, I got the opportunity to check out the Triumph Sprint ST and GT yesterday. Here are some thoughts.

* Both had more aggressive ergos for the rider than the FZ by far!

* The GT has much more passenger comfort and touring capabilities. (Side bags fit full face helmets unlike ST)

* ST is more compact for the rider and has a shorter seat height.

* Passenger sits WAY higher than the rider on the ST. More exaggerated in person than in pictures.

Overall, I determined that I would go with the GT if I bit on the Triumph. Bad news is that they aren't old enough to get a good deal on a used one yet. Dealer had one on sale for $12k and change. Can't justify that switch at this moment like I could stealing an ST for $6500 and selling my bike for a little less. I just don't see the ST as being any improvement towards touring from our bike as far as ergos. It's actually worse.

Still can't justify $1,200 worth of hard bags on the FZ when I see an upgrade on the bike in the future. Maybe I'm chasing an impossible combination of a sport tourer. I just wish there was a lighter version of the FJR. It's a nice looking and functional bike, but I don't see the need for the weight and the 1,300 cc. Make the same bike with 1,000 cc and trim the weight down to 500-550 lbs and I'm in!

LOL!!!!!! told you...... I loike the st, but, more into the sport side, WAAAaaay more lol! nice bike and it's all about prefernce, go sit, try, and then you'll know.

I might suggest something you won't be expecting. A V-strom 650 or 1000. They are incredible touring machines, comfy, can get up and move without being over the top. AND wait there is more!!! lmao!!!! luggage? what do you want? and we aren't done yet, They have a lower fairing kit from the euro market. It looks beautiful.

ajskillz13

I might suggest something you won't be expecting. A V-strom 650 or 1000. They are incredible touring machines, comfy, can get up and move without being over the top. AND wait there is more!!! lmao!!!! luggage? what do you want? and we aren't done yet, They have a lower fairing kit from the euro market. It looks beautiful.
That's a good suggestion, but it's not really our style! The full fairing helps, but it just doesn't have the looks.