triple tree looks off

W

whatever

my handlebars seemed to be pulled to the right little when i am driving straight.

is it possible when the bike was built the clamp bolts for the triple tree were tighten down with the steering being cock to the right alittle.

or do the forks straighten out by them self when the wheels is installed.

i was trying to figure out how i could tweak them back to the left alittle.. but i was thinking if i loosen the triple tree bolts will the forks drop... really have no way to surport the front end i only have a rear stand for the bike.

the dealer is 65 miles away so i was trying to see if i could fix it myself... i was thinking about marking the cap fork bolts with some chalk and make a line on the tree to. would i have to loosen the steering center bot also.

i was going to try and.... put the bike on the rear stand and string a line and see how far the bars are off to the right.

or being that the bottom of the fork is separate from the top of the tube... will it then take up minor corrections.

W

whatever

or i should say the triple tree seems to be cock to the right when i am going straight

right side is closer to the tank then the left side..

does anybody have a fix with me having no way to support the front end just having the rear stand......... maybe i could turn the tree back with the forks not dropping if i don't loosen the bolts too much and not have the forks drop........ would you think this might work or will it cause me more trouble

Last edited by a moderator:

Spunky99

Mine looks the same way but I think this is normal.
When I pulled off my forks and put them back on it all fit perfectly like everything was straight. I've let go of the bars at 90+ mph and it's smooth as silk. Left and right turns feel normal.
Ignore it and ride...

W

whatever

i google it and found some answers that might work... my shop manual is coming tomorow so i will try this.

loosen the top triple tree clamps and see if it falls back in place alittle...... re tq the clamps... then loosen the bottom clamps and see if it just falls back in place, you can also loosen the steering stem bolt when you do the top one

make sure all clamps are spec tight.

then loosen the lower fork crimp bolts for the axle and sitting on the bike compress the forks a few times
and then re tq crimp bolts and it should line uo now.... it worth a shot i will try this tomorow.

W

whatever

hey spunky i see you have no pipe.... i agree the bike is pretty fast stock no need to pipe........... did you notice any differents with the k&n filter ?

W

whatever

played with the steering last night and on this morning test ride was perfect... heres what i did..

just lossen the 2 top triple clamp bolts and nudge the bars to the left alittle with the tire between my legs.....tighten bolts back up

and then i just lossen the right side crimp bolt for the axle and then loosen the front axle.

then i took the bike off the stands and with the front brake i push up and down little on the forks while i was sitting on the bike... tighten the axle back up and then the crimp bolt.

boy on the test drive.... it just proved to me how awesome this bike is.... have all that t power down low really is nice and the powerband is pretty smooth.........

never did get it over 6000....still have to open this bad boy up when i get a chance. was on the highway doing 75 but cars passed me did not feel like going wild with the speed.

W

whatever

going to the dealer to have the steering fixed this week never really did get it fixed that good.

still bugs me !

had no way to jack up the front end otherwise i would done it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

whatever

well that was too easy.... today i just pulled along side a curb down at the local school and with the tire resting on the curb,,,, i just applied some pressure in the oppisite directions with the bars and now the steering is dead on center.

not sure if that was the right way do it but it worked..... saved me a trip to the dealer.

i was looking for a metal bike rack to put the front wheel in....... but there were none to be found so i used the curb.

bmw675

well that was too easy.... today i just pulled along side a curb down at the local school and with the tire resting on the curb,,,, i just applied some pressure in the oppisite directions with the bars and now the steering is dead on center.

not sure if that was the right way do it but it worked..... saved me a trip to the dealer.

i was looking for a metal bike rack to put the front wheel in....... but there were none to be found so i used the curb.
i would think that if it moved that easy, something is loose and it will keep moving around.

Roaddawg

i would think that if it moved that easy, something is loose and it will keep moving around.
No fooling! What about if you hit a pothole wrong...your going down. Better tighten things up...Don't want to see you get hurt.

W

whatever

everything should be tight i just retighten all the fittings last week. must of been tweak a little when the bike was in the crate.

something must be rubber mounted on the front end and sometimes you can get the lower tubes in the forks to move alittle.

only needed to come over to
the left about 1/4 ich or so.

tried it before using the old motorcross fix of putting your legs between the front wheel but i could never get a good enough grip on things..... with the curb it worked .

when i get a chance i will lossen the front axle and crimp bolt and move the forks up and down and retighten. ..... and maybe relossen the triple tree bolts and retighten.... that was my problem before i did not have a front stand so maybe i can try doing both bolts on the left fork and then do the right side of the forks so the fork don't drop on me.

just so everthing settles !!

i was looking things over at a rest stop yesterday and notiched if anybody was to use a front stand that goes under the triple tree....... it looks like you might have to remove the horn and the one brake line.... they cross near where the pin would go.