trailer.....

bmw675

if all goes according to plans, i may be trailering home a new fz6r this week.

any suggestions? where to strap it through the bike and do i hook it low to the outside frame?
i never have and am kinda worried about how it would stay upright. i figured it would be easier to get on/off than in my truck.

dblakeman

Get a set of sport bike tie downs, your dealer will have them, about $25. They slide onto your handlebars and give you a place to connect ratchet ties without them touching your bike. I recently purchased my bike about 2 months ago and trailered it 900 miles with just them and a ratchet tie down over the back wheel without any problems. Just make sure your suspension is compressed.

bmw675

thanks for the help,
however, my deal i was given sat. apparently is no good now...

they gave me an otd price, today they tell me that they will sell it to me for that but pay my ttl at the dmv on my own....
the new price became $400 more. ill mark that place off the list.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the help,
however, my deal i was given sat. apparently is no good now...

they gave me an otd price, today they tell me that they will sell it to me for that but pay my ttl at the dmv on my own....
the new price became $400 more. ill mark that place off the list.
Gotta love the occasional "stealership!" :rant:

bmw675

well, im bringing it home this afternoon.
went to a different dealership and i got a decent deal, 6900 otd.

decided on the blue one, i liked the yellow but was unsure of the color being flat.

zig308

well, im bringing it home this afternoon.
went to a different dealership and i got a decent deal, 6900 otd.

decided on the blue one, i liked the yellow but was unsure of the color being flat.
Good deal... that's about what I got Saturday in blue as well. I'm going to try to get over there today to see when they can drop it off at my house now that my insurance is good to go.

Verranth

Good deal... that's about what I got Saturday in blue as well. I'm going to try to get over there today to see when they can drop it off at my house now that my insurance is good to go.
Where did you buy from?

I got mine at Colgan PowerSports in Manassas.

zig308

Where did you buy from?

I got mine at Colgan PowerSports in Manassas.
Got it at Loudoun Motorsports in Leesburg. Hoping to get there today and schedule delivery of the bike and pick up a hi-viz mesh jacket. Already got some Sidi boots and helmet form them as well.

Hopefully hi-viz yellow looks ok on a blue bike :D

JSP

Super Moderator
I live about 10 mins from Shenandoah Honda, and work about 15-20 mins from Loudoun Motorsports. Pretty much drive right by it on my way home if I take 7 instead of 50.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Congrats! and :welcome:

The handlebar ties referred to above are called Canyon Dancers. If you can get the second version, they are better. They have ABS plastic cups instead of the webbing which can and sometimes does cut into a grip.

When tying down, look for tie-downs with snap-rings or carabiners on both ends. Home Depot is where I found mine, in the trailer section. Both ends are snap clips and they even form a soft tie-down on their own. They are ratcheting ties so be extra careful as they will not only compress the suspension but keep pulling and bend the bars.

You want to ratchet each side slowly until the suspension is compressed about 1.5" in the front. You do not need to fully compress the forks... old wives tale or you bought open hook tie-downs. On the rear, you can just throw one tie-down over the wheel, or wrap it around the wheel and just snug the tie-down until it is tight... don't ratchet it until you bleed! ;)

If you had more time, I'd suggest the Haulmaster Wheel Chock from Harbor Freight... it is on sale right now for $29.95 too.

bmw675

well, i got the bike home today.
i went a bit overkill on the straps , but better safe than sorry.
i used the canyon dancer and strapped to the front corners of the trailer.
went from each side of the swing arm to the trailer.

and i ended up putting another through the front wheel to hold it tight to the front of the trailer.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Awesome! Where's the pics? ;) Congrats!!!