Trading FZ6R in...

Briguy453

Hey all, looking to trade my '09 FZ6R in when I get back from this deployment that I'm on. More than likely going no further than the 600cc class. I understand that the liter class is almost the same, if not better at running track at the moment for the newer models that Kawasaki and BMW have to offer, but I'd prefer to stick to something around what the power I'm used to so I can at least attempt to keep to safe, and still be pushing the rpm's for my skill level. Been looking really hard at the Kawasaki ZX6R and Triumph's Daytona. Any ideas and or testimony's from those that have done the switch would be great. I've also been a big fan of yamaha for awhile, and if I could get some opinions to see if I should wait and see what yamaha has in store for the R6 this September. Thanks for your input everyone, I miss ridin' in sunny California!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Briguy453

Well, the plan is to enjoy it a little more when I get back, however I would like this to happen in the near future, as I'm looking to move up to the "supersport" realm for track. Not planning on liter size, I don't think I'm ready for it, too much to handle, and waay too much power for the street, as it's my only mode of transportation as well.

bigddy263

Well, the plan is to enjoy it a little more when I get back, however I would like this to happen in the near future, as I'm looking to move up to the "supersport" realm for track. Not planning on liter size, I don't think I'm ready for it, too much to handle, and waay too much power for the street, as it's my only mode of transportation as well.
I can't completely vouch, (ive only ridden a zx6r once), but I think if you are going to be commuting on your bike as well, you might want the extra cc's. I understand that the 600 class supersports lose quite a bit of the midrange pull in order to make that awesome top end power. That GSXR750 or similar, might be the ticket. Just my two cents though. You should get what YOU want ultimately.

CDN6R

I am sure if you P.M. Josh (Cautious Corner) you could get this cheap:::

Just read his Traded FZ Thread

Attachments

motoguy82

Save your deployment money and get whatever it is you want when you get back. A 600 will have all the power you will ever need, and more importantly, it won't get you in trouble quite as fast if you're overzealous with the right hand. The one track day I did was the most fun I ever had on my 600RR...and I was the only one of my group that didn't wreck their bike. I say get what makes you happy and enjoy it.

Hey all, looking to trade my '09 FZ6R in when I get back from this deployment that I'm on. More than likely going no further than the 600cc class. I understand that the liter class is almost the same, if not better at running track at the moment for the newer models that Kawasaki and BMW have to offer, but I'd prefer to stick to something around what the power I'm used to so I can at least attempt to keep to safe, and still be pushing the rpm's for my skill level. Been looking really hard at the Kawasaki ZX6R and Triumph's Daytona. Any ideas and or testimony's from those that have done the switch would be great. I've also been a big fan of yamaha for awhile, and if I could get some opinions to see if I should wait and see what yamaha has in store for the R6 this September. Thanks for your input everyone, I miss ridin' in sunny California!

If you like the ride of the FZ6R I would definitely check out the Ninja 1000

Briguy453

RedDeadRaven

I'm going in the same direction. I've been looking into either an '11 GSX-R750 or '11 Daytona 675R. Both are amazing bikes and get great reviews. Sport Rider magazine has GSXR reviews for the 600 and 750 in the June issue, Daytona 675R review in July issue, and the 600cc shootout in the August issue. They're both pretty close as far as performance goes (750 & 675R). Personally, I think the 675R is the best looking bike out there, and according to the reviews it handles better. 750 has better ergos and is more comfortable for both street and track and has better all-around power obviously. I've also been looking into getting some track time. This has helped me to go with the GSX-R750 for 2 reasons. 1) the Gixxers are VERY popular so parts are easy to come by, and there are plenty of others at the track who can help you with problems and tuning. 2) The oppisite of 1. There are fewer people to help you with it, parts are harder to find, fewer parts options, and parts are more expensive.
I've also decided not to go with a brand new '11. For one, it would be more difficult for me to make myself do some of the track mods to my pretty, new baby. Also, although I've noticed that bikes seem to hold their value fairly well after the initial value drop when you drive it off the showroom floor, I just can't get over that drop. So I've been looking for an '07 750, because I think the '06-07s were the best looking GSXRs anyway (even better than the '11s). That, plus I found this one with just over 5k miles....may be trading the FZ6R in later this week.

Attachments

Briguy453

I'm going in the same direction. I've been looking into either an '11 GSX-R750 or '11 Daytona 675R. Both are amazing bikes and get great reviews. Sport Rider magazine has GSXR reviews for the 600 and 750 in the June issue, Daytona 675R review in July issue, and the 600cc shootout in the August issue. They're both pretty close as far as performance goes (750 & 675R). Personally, I think the 675R is the best looking bike out there, and according to the reviews it handles better. 750 has better ergos and is more comfortable for both street and track and has better all-around power obviously. I've also been looking into getting some track time. This has helped me to go with the GSX-R750 for 2 reasons. 1) the Gixxers are VERY popular so parts are easy to come by, and there are plenty of others at the track who can help you with problems and tuning. 2) The oppisite of 1. There are fewer people to help you with it, parts are harder to find, fewer parts options, and parts are more expensive.
I've also decided not to go with a brand new '11. For one, it would be more difficult for me to make myself do some of the track mods to my pretty, new baby. Also, although I've noticed that bikes seem to hold their value fairly well after the initial value drop when you drive it off the showroom floor, I just can't get over that drop. So I've been looking for an '07 750, because I think the '06-07s were the best looking GSXRs anyway (even better than the '11s). That, plus I found this one with just over 5k miles....may be trading the FZ6R in later this week.
Thanks for the input, however I won't get a GSXR for a couple reasons. The first being namely because everyone has one. I live in the barracks on a military base, and working on my bike one afternoon, I saw over the span of 20 minutes, 8 GSXR's roll by, all the same color, different riders. Also, I have a few friends that ride track, not quite professionaly, but they run in a race circuit. One has a GSXR, I can't remember what exactly he said about the suspension, but I remember he had to change everything from forks on back suspension wise because it was either too short or too long. Something to think about if you're really going to get into it. Also will not get a cbr600rr because of the dry clutch. Just my 2 cents on why I won't get either of those popular names.

bmw675

If it was my only mode of transportation, i wouldn't be taking it to the track. that was my excuse for getting a bike, "if something happens to my truck, how am i going to get anywhere?"

and i agree about what you said with the gsxr. great bikes, but i live in a college town and thats all i see.

RoadTrip

I spent months reading all the reviews and sitting on the big 4 Japanese 600SS bikes, ultimately choosing the 2011 GSXR600.

R6 - good leg fit, and very racey looking, my first choice, but most aggressive upper body ergos and was concerned about the powerband

CBR600 - wasn't a fan of the 11 color scheme, and wanted a slipper clutch, and wanted a bike with 'character'

ZX6R - love this bike in black, really has a cool face, but I felt cramped

GSXR - best seat, adjustable rearsets, Brembo brakes, good slipper clutch, big piston fork, most street oriented out of the box, acceptable looks, great sound

The biggest change to the a SS is the ergos, no doubt, you end up slightly frustrated when going slow, you feel like you are being pushed forward onto the bars and you squirm to find comfort. But, when you finally get to your favorite backroad, all the discomfort getting there is forgotton, you hang off and rail and wail and have gobs of stability and precision, you are riding a race bike and it feels great.

Frequent breaks are the way to mitigate the discomfort, you are in a 'committed' riding position and there is no way to stretch properly unless off the bike. The other issue is speed, you will find that the limits of a SS are much higher than the FZ6R, so your natural inclination is to push into that new territory and the danger and speeds increase, so you gotta keep your head on straight and remember to keep speeds at sane levels - yeah, I will probably end up doing track days myself to get my speed fix.

The ideal situation would be to have a 600ss for track and canyon carving, and an FZ1 for touring; well, I can't afford both, so I will experience some discomfort, I suppose, but I am mostly into aggressive riding, so a SS is the best choice for me at this time.

RedDeadRaven

Thanks for the input, however I won't get a GSXR for a couple reasons. The first being namely because everyone has one.
That's because they're good bikes. But, if you find an ss that fits you, you can't really go wrong. Luckily, I don't see many sport bikes around here period 'cause hicks and rednecks like cruisers. So, I don't have to worry about everyone else having my bike.

Detrich

Gixxers look really nice & they offer tons of great features not found on other SS's. Definitely more practical and they are more affordable.

But, for me- I've always loved & wanted an R6. Plus, I wanted to stay in the Yamaha family... Picked up a 2010 R6 in April and am absolutely loving it. Handles great, plenty of power, lightweight, and honestly- not uncomfortable at all. Love the aggressive riding position & the dual headlights & sleek fairings.

I think just go check out all the 600 SS's and see which one "you" like best. They're all great bikes...

Briguy453

That's because they're good bikes. But, if you find an ss that fits you, you can't really go wrong. Luckily, I don't see many sport bikes around here period 'cause hicks and rednecks like cruisers. So, I don't have to worry about everyone else having my bike.
Never said they weren't. The CBR's and GSXR's are probably the most street friendly out of all of them. As far as being track ready right out of the box, the r6 fits the bill the best, and at the moment until the new R6 is out the ZX6R seems to be the best of both worlds, IMO.