Touch up paint suggestion for side case road rashes

SomeGuyFromCali

After a nice long ride the other day my lady dropped her brand spanking new Raven in our gravel driveway going like 2 MPH. This was of course before I managed to get the frame sliders installed. After making sure she was okay (my lady not the bike) I checked the bike and found she had put a nasty rash on the left side case.

At first I figured we would have to replace the entire case to make it look right again as some of the scratches were really deep but then I decided to just try sanding out the scratches and painting it first. I was really surprised with the way it came out. The case metal is very soft so it sanded pretty fast even by hand and I was able to completely remove all of the scratches.

The rattle can I used is called Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra in a Semi-Gloss enamel. It's not a completely perfect match but it was close enough that when she came in to inspect my work the first question out of her mouth was "Is that the SAME side case?" Followed by "You must have ordered a new one..." to which I simply replied "Nope" and smiled back :D

The semi-gloss I used is just a little bit shinier than the stock matte black color they come with from Yamaha but if you paint the whole part you really don't notice the difference at all. If anything it matches the metallic-black better that they used on the 2012 Raven's fairings versus the matte black. I did also try their flat black stove paint first but it was far too flat and just looked off.

I managed to paint the case without removing it first by just taping over the chrome bolt head's and then newspapering over the rest of the bike. I did remove the fairing first.

I will try to post some before and after shots of the case later so you can judge for yourselves but wanted to share my success story since it could save you 70-80 bucks over buying a new side case if you are in the same situation we were in. Of course, had I had the frame sliders installed I might never have been in this situation.

Attachments

SomeGuyFromCali

So this would be the "before" shot. :(
The scratches were much deeper than you can see in the pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

Detrich

Wow. Looks great. Nice job.

What grit sandpaper did u use for removing the scratches?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

2QUIK4U

Nice job!! Glad your lady is OK and I bet she is feeling much better now!!;);)

SomeGuyFromCali

Wow. Looks great. Nice job.

What grit sandpaper did u use for removing the scratches?
Thanks! I used some old 3M 80 grit aluminum oxide to remove the heavier scratches. It also says 336u on the back but no idea what that part means. i finished with a finer grit but dont recal the number.

travisH3

Wow, nice job. Saved ya a bit of money I'm sure

SomeGuyFromCali

Wow, nice job. Saved ya a bit of money I'm sure
Well it would have saved me money if I hadn't already ordered the new left side case from Yamaha anyhow lol. I also had to replace the decal for the fairing which wasn't too cheap either.

So now I still have one brand new OEM Yamaha FZ6R stator cover (left side cover) if anyone is interested in buying it. I would be willing to let it go for about 60 bucks.

Detrich

On a side note, I finally tried out the www.drcolorchip.com touch up paint I bought a while back to touch up some rock chips on my lower fairings. And, their dab, smear, and wipe-off system works better than I expected.

I'd say the color match is equal if not better than www.colorrite.com. And, I like how u don't have blend colors for Yamaha pearl white- ie colorrite's annoying base coat + upper coat nonsense. It's just one pre-blended accurate color.

And, if you apply the touch up paint the way drcolorchip instructions say, it actially comes out much smoother than any free-handed touch up. Worth the extra $ imo...

SomeGuyFromCali

On a side note, I finally tried out the Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems touch up paint I bought a while back to touch up some rock chips on my lower fairings. And, their dab, smear, and wipe-off system works better than I expected.

I'd say the color match is equal if not better than ColorRite Motorcycle Paint. And, I like how u don't have blend colors for Yamaha pearl white- ie colorrite's annoying base coat + upper coat nonsense. It's just one pre-blended accurate color.

And, if you apply the touch up paint the way drcolorchip instructions say, it actially comes out much smoother than any free-handed touch up. Worth the extra $ imo...
Cool good to know if I ever chip up my Albino FZ6R.

latony007

decal

Where did you get the original fz6r decal for the fairing? I really want to replace the black kinda gel ones on the tank with red ones. I have bough a couple smaller red ones (all I could find) and put them on the ends of my frame sliders.

SomeGuyFromCali

Where did you get the original fz6r decal for the fairing? I really want to replace the black kinda gel ones on the tank with red ones. I have bough a couple smaller red ones (all I could find) and put them on the ends of my frame sliders.
I got the OEM decal for the fairing on the Raven FZ6R from yamahasportsplaza , they offer 30% off Yamaha OEM parts. Shipping is usually like 14 bucks minimum through them though :eek:

Detrich

Yah, any OEM Yamaha parts dealer sells decals. U just pull up the part # by using the schematic drawing that they provide to pin point which decal. If u need to meet a minimum order amount, u can always order a few pin screws or things that get easily lost, broken, or stripped- ie as spares. Windscreen screws, chain guard screws, seat cowl screws all come to mind :)