Topcase or tankbag

Commute option?

• Icon Urban Tank Bag

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Givi V46 Topcase

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

Sparkxx1

So I've decide that I'm going to be using my motorcycle for commuting everyday to and from college. Now the biggest issue will of course be space for books, etc. I have two options and I just need some more opinions. I won't list my advantages or disadvantages to each because I need/want to see what other people come up with.

The first option will be just going with a tankbag/backpack called the Icon Urban tankbag. It goes for 95$ and a link to it would be here:

Icon Urban Tank Bag - RevZilla

The second option would be a Givi V46 topcase and the whole setup is going to cost me 400$.

Givi V46 monokey motorcycle top case - Sport Tour Ltd.

I understand its very hard to compare these two because its a tankpad against a whole topcase that comes with keys. But I need to figure out if I'm missing any perspective. Thanks alot everyone who responds!

Please I don't want to read any it may not be a good idea to commute with a bike. I don't own a car, and the bridge on a car costs 6$ each way, while only 2$ on a bike. And public transportation take a round trip time of about 3 hours a day while the bike will only take me 1 hour without speeding or rushing.

ajskillz13

The GIVI V46 gives you the ability to store your helmet, jacket, gloves or whatever when you go to class. You can lock it and forget it. Just throw a backpack inside with your books for the ride in and then load up your riding gear when you park.

I know it's 4x more expensive, but if you can afford it and you don't mind the look and weight, it's a WAY better option!

P.S. You found the best deal on them at sporttour.com Free shipping and they're fast!

Sparkxx1

I was thinking of getting the liner so that I can put books inside and when I park I can pull it out and put it on my shoulder. I can carry a light backpack on my back for notebooks and stuff. I'm an electrical engineering major I usually carry LOTS of textbooks.

Thanks for your input I do have the money, I just want to make sure.

ajskillz13

I was thinking of getting the liner so that I can put books inside and when I park I can pull it out and put it on my shoulder. I can carry a light backpack on my back for notebooks and stuff. I'm an electrical engineering major I usually carry LOTS of textbooks.
Sounds like it's a winner! I've only had mine for 1 day, but I can tell you already that it will be the best addition to this bike. I thought I would probably use it less than the side cases because of looks, but I think it will spend the majority of the time on the bike with the side cases off!

It's like car shopping for me... Once you've had a vehicle that fits your golf clubs comfortably, you can't go back to something with a smaller trunk. The V46 has given me that convenience. I am looking forward to not having to put my helmet and jacket in a shopping cart when I stop by the grocery!

Sparkxx1

It's like car shopping for me... Once you've had a vehicle that fits your golf clubs comfortably, you can't go back to something with a smaller trunk. The V46 has given me that convenience. I am looking forward to not having to put my helmet and jacket in a shopping cart when I stop by the grocery!
Nice, I've been relying on a nice thick bicycle lock to chain my helmets and jacket to my handlebars. I would much rather put them in the case. Plus I might encounter rain, although I don't want to so the case is rainproof and my books will be safe.

motoguy82

Another good thing about the Givi is that it gives any lady you might take anywhere a backrest/assurance she won't fall off the back. My wife likes it on there much better than w/o it.

Jay S.

My initial reaction was a tank bag, just based on aesthetics. However, for what you are using it for, the topcase would be better suited for your needs. Why? Well, Ajskillz13 summed it up very well. One of my close friends who rides has a topcase on his bike that he intended to only use for a long road trip. Now it stays on all the time. He says it is just too convenient, especially when commuting regularly.

:cool:

sammy56

So I've decide that I'm going to be using my motorcycle for commuting everyday to and from college. Now the biggest issue will of course be space for books, etc. I have two options and I just need some more opinions. I won't list my advantages or disadvantages to each because I need/want to see what other people come up with.

The first option will be just going with a tankbag/backpack called the Icon Urban tankbag. It goes for 95$ and a link to it would be here:

Icon Urban Tank Bag - RevZilla

The second option would be a Givi V46 topcase and the whole setup is going to cost me 400$.

Givi V46 monokey motorcycle top case - Sport Tour Ltd.

I understand its very hard to compare these two because its a tankpad against a whole topcase that comes with keys. But I need to figure out if I'm missing any perspective. Thanks alot everyone who responds!

Please I don't want to read any it may not be a good idea to commute with a bike. I don't own a car, and the bridge on a car costs 6$ each way, while only 2$ on a bike. And public transportation take a round trip time of about 3 hours a day while the bike will only take me 1 hour without speeding or rushing.
I commute and I recommend both.
I have the Givi V46 topcase and it is perfect. Saddlebags (soft) carry my raingear and other items I don't mind if they get ripped off, but never have.
Tankbag, YES!! I have a Givi that secures to a ring...no scratches and easy to remove to gas up. I love it. Cortech also makes them now.
Best $15 you will ever spend, get an old man small fanny pack. Carry all your little stuff with no fuss. As a fellow commuter, you just don't want to be without everything, cause you never know when you will need or want it....

Just my 2 cents.

LB

Chucker

I use a Gears Canada Urban Survivor tank/tailbag. Can be used for both, but I usually use it as a tail bag. The base with the magnets is removable and it has backpack straps on it, so it's easy to pull off and throw on your back to carry.

Gears Canada | Urban Survivor Tank and Tail Bag

If you're riding everyday, rain or shine, maybe a hard top case is better. Also have to consider your gear. Sounds like a top case might be best for you. I'd have one, but I'm not sure I want the rack on there all the time.
And +1 on the passenger backrest.

Sparkxx1

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm probably going to be ordering the topcase this week or next week and I'll be buying the tankbag in a couple of months to make my life easier =D

XTRAWLD

I've got a Kappa case and love it. Kappa is the "cheaper" version of Givi, in case you want to save some extra bucks.

Chucker

I've got a Kappa case and love it. Kappa is the "cheaper" version of Givi, in case you want to save some extra bucks.
I don't suppose you have pics? Would like to see a shot of your bike from the side with just the top case on it.

Thanks

XTRAWLD

I only have 2 photos available at the ready. I find the 35 to be the perfect size. Any bigger and you go wider instead of taller, therefore can't see behind you as efficiently.

Chucker

Thanks wild one. I know you can fit 1 helmet inside. Could you fit a backpack with a 15" laptop?

Roaddawg

I have a clone Givi E470 (see my thread) top case and love it. I have tried other options, but the top case is the easiest and best option, imo. By far, the top case is best for commuting.:thumbup:

XTRAWLD

Thanks wild one. I know you can fit 1 helmet inside. Could you fit a backpack with a 15" laptop?
Just put my 13" Mac inside and it fits easily, I think you would be fine with a 15". Depending on how much you load that backpack, I don't see why it won't fit with it either. For our trip the trunk was for awkward items and easy to get to items: food, maps, books, change of gloves, sunglasses, small gifts, rain gear, clear visors, etc. The soft case in front held all my clothes for a week long trip.

For daily riding like running to work, I take my purse, lunch and my change of shoes/clothes in the trunk and when I get to work I am able to fit my helmet inside with my gloves and my boots and there it sits waiting for 5pm when I swap it all out again. They really are deceptively roomy, but keep in mind are not designed to be heavily loaded.

If you have a chance, go and look at some in person before purchasing. I wanted a Givi, with a gloss black top and then I saw the Kappa with the "white lights" and I liked it better than the red. Some are reflective, not all are. I got the smooth top because when touring we would lug the case up to the roo increasing the risk of scratching, so I don't feel bad if the matte finish gets scuffed. Plus it was a great jacket holder when we took breaks! (Draped over top - not in)

Chucker