Too Cold to Ride?

Tijeras505

I know it is still Summer and maybe too soon to talk about cold weather but I live in the mountains east of Albuquerque at 7350 ft. The weather is nice now but drops quickly throughout September. We sometimes get snow in early October.

The lowest temperature I have ridden in is 38 degrees. I don't have heated gloves and it was pretty painful on the hands. I probably won't do that ever again. I think anything over 45 or 50 degrees is about the limit at my age.

For the colder weather, I have an Olympia Motorsports one-piece suit that works very well (with the liner installed) and a neck gaitor <sp?>.

I was curious, what is coldest temperature you have ever ridden a motorcycle in and, for you, how cold is too cold to ride?

Also, if you ride in the cold, what gear has really worked to keep you comfortable?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The coldest I have ridden in was 42 F. I plan to ride all through the winter this season, as long as it is dry on the roads. I will try it out with my regular gear, but I may think about getting some new gloves that will be warmer.

cbzdel

The coldest I have ever rode was 24* and there was snow and ice on the ground!! I would not do that on a sport bike though, I did it on a honda ruckus and rode 14 miles!!

I wore all of my snowboarding clothes :)

unleased1287

i live in NY so it gets pretty cold here so im use to the cold. i ride all the way till the first snow flake lands. i ride sled so it dont really bother me that much i just dress in layers. the only problem with riding in the cold is that u should always remember to warm ur tires before getting on the throttle. i wont ride during the winter at all cause we use salt on the roads and every one knows how that tears down everything on a bike.

nate

JSP

Super Moderator
My general rule is 40 or higher and I will ride. I have a 55 mile drive to work so it can get REALLY cold after a little bit. The coldest I rode was 36 and it was horrible. I froze for a solid hour.

fz6rwolf

Even in winter at least 1 day a month it's warm enough with no ice or wet on the roads to ride (don't care much about temp) I go out for a good 10 miles to get things flowing. Bike is an outside bike like my last 2 cruisers, winter good cleaning, coat of wax and cover it up. Had the VTX 4 winter seasons and even with all the chrome (yes I was a chrome whore to an extent) never any rust issues. If I had a garage or shed I'd use it though.

WenMark

Don't laugh but I bought a all black Walls Artic one piece suit at Walmart for $50. and some $5 ski gloves last year. I tried it out at 30 degrees and it was no problem (actually kept me really warm and I had shorts on underneath it. I usually don't ride that much in the really cold weather but I take it day to day if I want to commute to work or not. Some days I will bundle up and other days because I get lazy and also leave at 6:30am and it's dark I may take the cage with the heater blazing of course:D

Tijeras505

Capetown weather

Allan -

I was interested in your weather in Cape Town so I looked it up on Wiki. It is fairly similar to Los Angeles, where you could pretty much ride year-round.

How I miss those days. Now I get to shovel snow and watch my bike sitting in the garage all Winter.

Have you been to any motorcycle road racing at Assen?

Tijeras505

Don't laugh but I bought a all black Walls Artic one piece suit at Walmart for $50. and some $5 ski gloves last year. I tried it out at 30 degrees and it was no problem (actually kept me really warm and I had shorts on underneath it. I usually don't ride that much in the really cold weather but I take it day to day if I want to commute to work or not. Some days I will bundle up and other days because I get lazy and also leave at 6:30am and it's dark I may take the cage with the heater blazing of course:D
Hmmm. A Walls one-piece... All I can picture is the little brother in the movie a "Christmas Story." But heck, if it works and the price is right who am I to laugh at that.

Thanks for the information. I may have to look into that.

Tijeras505

The color in the picture is the only color I thought they came in. I think black would look way better. Next time I am at Walmart I will check them out. Thanks.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
And if they are anything like the material that Carhart uses, they would actually provide decent protection in the case of a fall as well.