To ride or not to ride. Need your help.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brent27

First of all congratulations on the upcoming child and I'm glad that whatever was going on is better now.

Second, take my advice with a grain of salt as I am not a parent and obviously I don't know you.... From what you're posting and the fact you're posting you are really looking for a reason to keep the bike. If your wife is telling you to keep it, then keep it. I can tell it means more to you than you can speak about... it's probably a stress reliever and something for you to do as a hobby. In my opinion, that's going to be more important as you have a child. Being a father, especially an infant is a very stressful thing. You're going to need some time to decompress as will your wife. If you can only get out once a week, that's probably going to help your state of mind which will also help you be a great father. If you don't want to feel selfish, then work out with your wife that for every 2 hours you ride to decompress then you take care of the baby for 2 hours while she does something to decompress.

I imagine if you're not commuting on the bike then when you can ride will be a safer time to ride which may help alleviate those concerns somewhat. I know there is a cost of ownership, but if it's helping you be less stressed, more happy then you can't put a price on that. I've always believed the key to a happy marriage and being a good father is making sure that YOU'RE happy and mentally healthy. Getting there does not always mean it's an activity that includes everyone else... but they will more than a hundred times over receive the benefits from a little time you spend doing your hobby.

Btw, thanks for the help on my bike. I've actually ran across your videos on YouTube and so far the video on installing a fender eliminator was invaluable. I'm sure the other how to's will help me out as I go along.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SixRFixR

Your life doesn't end when your kid's life begins. Besides, who wants to have a miserable, boring dad or husband? That's not going to be good for anyone. Wear all the gear, slow it down, pick safer routes, do whatever it takes, but by all means RIDE.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BzB

Congrats on the pending baby boy. I have two young kids and can tell you being a parent is the best thing in the world. It isn't easy, there's a ton of responsibility and you're faced with a lot of tough decisions. Keeping or selling your bike is just the first seemingly tough decision, but looks like it comes down to a financial one. If you can find a way to solve the financial concerns without selling your bike that's your best bet. Doing something that you might regret in the long run never feels good when you look back on it, but if you're really strapped and options are limited then it may be a sound decision. Even if you ride your bike for 2 hrs once a week on a Sunday or every other week or once a month you may get more pleasure out of that than what the bike is worth. Especially when you start dealing with the rigors of family life, work, etc. It might seem like a tough decision now, but you'll wish they were all this easy in the future lol. Good luck it sounds like you're keeping your priorities in mind.

LKLD

I stopped riding, in the mid 80's, for the same reasons you are thinking about.
After a while the jonesing for riding stopped, mainly because of family and job obligations. Have been back on a bike since Dec '12, and now my daughter and wife have bikes.

Could have kept riding, and maybe nothing would have happened. However, like you, I couldn't feel like I can take that chance. Listen to your head, the logic you apply will serve you well.

Best of luck, with either decision you choose.

JPaul

Congratulation on the baby boy and hope so things will be smooth, further in the future.

This thread putt my thoughts on hold for few minutes.

Now looking for the best solution here from mates as this is the common situation for most of the riders.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brent27

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the words and wisdom. I knew we you would mostly be bike-biased, but no one else understands what riding can do to a person.

I definitely can't let the bike go unless we come to a situation where we need to liquidate a few grand. Definitely have been riding safer and will continue that way for the most part. Definitely psyched to meet and raise my son.

Thanks again everyone!!
Glad to see you made a decision and congrats again on the future son. I think you have a good point, there is always the option to do what's necessary if something comes up. I think over time you'll get used to the ebbs and flows and have the opportunity and more experience to change your approach later if you need to.

Slick

Sounds like you've answered your own question. But, just in case, what about a track day every couple of months? Still ride hell for leather, great fun, and no cagers!

Congratulations, too!

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member