to lower or not to lower?

artkatz111

I bought my fz6r last month and love it. But i'm 5'1" so I'm definitely balancing on tippy toes at a stop. I know the drop kit isn't out yet, but I'm wondering whether to lower it later. I've heard people say lowering a bike affects it's turning radius. Does anyone know how much of a difference there would be... minor or drastic? And would there be other handling issues?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I bought my fz6r last month and love it. But i'm 5'1" so I'm definitely balancing on tippy toes at a stop. I know the drop kit isn't out yet, but I'm wondering whether to lower it later. I've heard people say lowering a bike affects it's turning radius. Does anyone know how much of a difference there would be... minor or drastic? And would there be other handling issues?
Welcome to the forum. I know this is the ladies section, but I saw your post and thought I would help out...not too mention I am an honorary girl for this section. ;)

Check this thread, it has some great info about lowering the bike. Also, you won't have to worry about affecting the handling in a negative way. In fact, it should improve the handling of the bike.

xplodnstar

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I would lower it if I was you. My best friend has ridden mine a few times and she is 5'5" and she has the same problem you are having. Its going to be more comfortable for you as well

artkatz111

Thanks for the input. Went to the shop where I bought the bike to see if they've heard of when a kit will be available. The salesman says, "No, they're jumping on the economy band wagon and slowing everything down". I don't know if he means slowing down the making of accessories/modification kits for the "R" or if h'es taking about Yamaha and the "R"s themselves. Don't know if that's true, but it worried me a little.

Anyway, I contacted a second shop who told me they can do it for me. I'm gonna run over there in the next few days to talk to them about it.

janea

lowering

thanks for the info. that a second shop can do the lowering. i asked the dealer i bought the bike from, and they said it can't be done. i'll ask a few more places and see if they can help me out. i'm on the balls of my feet, which is fine in normal conditions, but i'd like that extra inch or two if i can get it. plus, then my old airhawk seat would be useful again for long rides.

Sleepy

It does seem like you ladies in the US have a lot more options than we do here. I am having a whole custom lowering job done on my brand new FZ6R - I have not even ridden her yet - 5'1" short so I manage to brush the floor with my feet.

Last edited:

PhatPhizzixxer

I guess I'm lucky. I'm 5'9" and can flat-foot my bike just fine.

So, to all the mean people who made fun of me when I was growing up for being so tall...
:Flip:

NYGirl

Definitely lowering it!

Dropped the bike in my *driveway* while trying to back it in, pavement uneven, me reaching just a little too much at 5'2".. the BF says he can do it in his garage, as soon I get the kit. You betcha, for safety's sake, I'm doing it. I'll probably never push this bike to its cornering capacity anyway (well, at least not right away, grin).

Sleepy

I should be getting my pretty little girl back soon and then I'll take pics and post of the mods we did here ... no kits for us apparently .... sigh!

artkatz111

It does seem like you ladies in the US have a lot more options than we do here. I am having a whole custom lowering job done on my brand new FZ6R - I have not even ridden her yet - 5'1" short so I manage to brush the floor with my feet.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the custom lowering job costing you? If it's reasonable, it's probably for the best. You could buy the lowering link from Roaring Toyz online, but I can imagine that the shipping costs from the US to South Africa would be quite expensive.

Last edited:

Sleepy

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the custom lowering job costing you? If it's reasonable, it's probably for the best. You could buy the lowering link from Roaring Toyz online, but I can imagine that the shipping costs from the US to South Africa would be quite expensive.
Not a problem. I don't know yet what the cost will be. I saw the mod on Saturday morning .. and I took a pic of it. Will download to my PC at then post here. I personally am not mechanical so don't understand it, but it has something to do with the shock being attached differently .....

I get her back tomorrow, so I will know the cost and I will convert to US$ and let you know.

I am lucky in that I business contacts in the US who do ship to SA regularly, so shipping would not be too bad, but I only know of 1 other FZ6R here in SA that has been lowered, so thought it best to get my mechanic to do the job. He also did my SV650 - so he knows what he is doing.

artkatz111

Great Sleepy, would love to see the pics.

I'm not mechanically inclined either. I have learned a lot of great info on this site though, and it's really helped me out.

BTW, welcome to the site.

Sleepy

So - my baby came home with me today. I have the invoice in front of me ... and it appears that I paid around US$145 to have the lowering done - that is shaving the seat as well as the lowering by moving the shock ... I gained around 6cm which is enough to put me flat on the balls of my feet. We are planning on letting me test this height for a couple of weeks to see if I am happy, otherwise it will be back to the drawing board to see if we can "shave" a bit more height off!

She sat well on my way home - so lets see.

Jenn62501

Eh! I dropped my bike yesterday... I'm 5'4 and only the balls of my feet touch... so when I came to a stop at an angle I couldn't hold the bike. I am so upset and embarrassed! Thank God that there was a man there who could help me lift it back up!
I want to get it lowered, but how much does that cost and how much difference will it make?

MikeN02

Eh! I dropped my bike yesterday... I'm 5'4 and only the balls of my feet touch... so when I came to a stop at an angle I couldn't hold the bike. I am so upset and embarrassed! Thank God that there was a man there who could help me lift it back up!
I want to get it lowered, but how much does that cost and how much difference will it make?
You're going to want the Roaring Toyz Lowering Link and Kickstand. Difference I heard it will drop about 1.25 or 1.75 inches, that's a whole lot of difference.