To lower or not to lower, that is the question

3leggeddog

I keep going back and forth about lowering the bike. Read the Roaring Toyz sticky and the install looks really straightforward. Only catch is I don't have a way to lift the bike off the ground to do the install of the parts so I'll have to get it done at the dealer.

From reading the thread it also appears that there might be some adjustment on the distance to lower the front forks and I sure don't want to keep going back to the dealer for this.

Interested to know what others think.

JSP

Super Moderator
Why do you want to lower it? No need unless you cannot touch the ground.

But yes, if you lower the rear, you need to lower the front by raising the forks.

3leggeddog

But yes, if you lower the rear, you need to lower the front by raising the forks.
I can touch the ground with about 3/4 of both feet (heels don't touch), and if I lean slightly to the right or left, I can stand flat on one foot, but can't with both feet. Didn't know if there was a rule of thumb that both feet should be flat or if it's just personal preference.

JSP

Super Moderator
I can touch the ground with about 3/4 of both feet (heels don't touch), and if I lean slightly to the right or left, I can stand flat on one foot, but can't with both feet. Didn't know if there was a rule of thumb that both feet should be flat or if it's just personal preference.

That seems pretty good to me.. I wouldn't compromise the handling of the bike for just a little extra. As a matter of fact, you should really never have both feet on the ground at the same time in my opinion. You should use the rear break with your right leg with your left on the ground while in gear. This way the bike will not roll backwards on a hill/incline and you can operate the clutch and front break freely with your hands.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

3leggeddog

That seems pretty good to me.. I wouldn't compromise the handling of the bike for just a little extra. As a matter of fact, you should really never have both feet on the ground at the same time in my opinion. You should use the rear break with your right leg with your left on the ground while in gear. This way the bike will not roll backwards on a hill/incline and you can operate the clutch and front break freely with your hands.
Thanks Jay! I rode Sunday for the first time since having surgery and was a bit twitchy, especially at stop signs. Got me to thinking about lowering the bike, but knowing how, um, peculiar I am about things, I'd probably wear the bolts smooth trying to get it "juuuuust right".

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks Jay! I rode Sunday for the first time since having surgery and was a bit twitchy, especially at stop signs. Got me to thinking about lowering the bike, but knowing how, um, peculiar I am about things, I'd probably wear the bolts smooth trying to get it "juuuuust right".
:thumbup: No problem.

applejax

Im pretty much on my tippie toes. Damn short legs.

bobby bo bonsin

Lower

I say if your thinking about lowering it then do it. Mines lowered with roaring toys link and forks are slid 1.75 " and I love it. I think it feels better than stock and It looks a thousand times better especially the front being lowered as it sits too high from factory and looks goofy IMO. I have felt no negative side effects from doing this mod and have had no stability issues thus far. Its also nice being able to flat foot if wanted and I just feel more in command of the bike.

bobby bo bonsin

Btw

Btw. The installation of the link and fork raising is pretty easy. I did it by myself with a low profile car jack and a piece of 2x4 on the jack. Just keep kickstand down to stabilize the bike. It doesn't take much to get either end of bike off the ground and you don't need it off the ground very much at all. I'm not trying to talk you into this mod I don't really care. I just thought I d share my experience with it. Its not that big of a deal IMO.

3leggeddog

Btw. The installation of the link and fork raising is pretty easy. I did it by myself with a low profile car jack and a piece of 2x4 on the jack. Just keep kickstand down to stabilize the bike. It doesn't take much to get either end of bike off the ground and you don't need it off the ground very much at all. I'm not trying to talk you into this mod I don't really care. I just thought I d share my experience with it. Its not that big of a deal IMO.
Thanks! I do appreciate you telling me it's not that hard if I decide to do it.

bobby bo bonsin

No problem

If you do decide to do it and need some pointers just let me know.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

bobby bo bonsin

I'm with ya on that one. Everything I own is lowered!:thumbup: