Tire starting to flatten in middle

Cerebus

I noticed yesterday that the rear tire is starting to get a flat spot on it already right in the middle. There is only about 3500 miles (tops) on it. Pressure is good, I check routinely. This seems awful soon to me ...but I'm a n00b, so what do I know? Thoughts?

Bozman

I would imagine you do a lot of straight drives...... Based off the appearance of the tire you don't turn a lot, or at least lean it over very much. This will certainly cause the tire to wear where it hits to road. About the only thing you can do is turn more and lean that thing over. :) Not only will it help the tire wear, it's also fun.

Lilday

3,500 is pretty good to be honest, but it depends how you ride.

When commuting to my old workplace I'd do 80 miles every day on the highway - so my tires were squared up pretty bad after just 1,000 miles.

I had the original tires on my bike for about 6,000 miles from new. Then I bought a used rear tire and that lasted me until 10,000.

Right now I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Road, which are dual compound so they're harder in the middle, meaning they don't square up so easy. 3,500 miles in and they're still nice and round (but they don't get highway use).

Chucker

That doesn't look bad to me.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

priotiynapkin

That's normal. ive notice cheaper tires like the stock hit the flat spot sooner. it will feel crazy weird when you run thru that tire and are accustom to the flat spot and slap a new tire on ther! youll seee
haha this happened to me -when I replaced the stocks it felt like it would tip into turns way quicker.

+1 for dual compound tires (I have pilot road 2s) if you do way more commuting than twisties

-Ben

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

Nope...... MORE TURNS!!! :p
Actually its not raised but more like the sides come up to a platau (or however you spell it :)
Ride more twisties is the answer and the most fun, just dont go faster than your skill and have fun!

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Awesome that everyone else is offering you advice. When I read your post, my first thought was "WTF, doesn't anyone know bother to search for crap anymore."

Something like "tire flatten middle site:www.600cc.org" should work fine.
"WTF, doesn't anyone know bother to search for crap anymore."
doesn't anyone know bother
:confused:

:D

Cerebus

Awesome that everyone else is offering you advice. When I read your post, my first thought was "WTF, doesn't anyone know bother to search for crap anymore."

Something like "tire flatten middle site:www.600cc.org" should work fine.
While you're at it, can you also recommend they type of oil I should use? Thanks.