Tire Plug.... $86 w/ labor????

jamesgarfield

I feel like I might be gettin ripped here. Whats it normally cost or am I just being stupid? Im used to gettin a flat repair from the tire shop for free lol

JSP

Super Moderator
Replace the tire. Do not plug it. A tire repair should only be to get you to or from home or to the shop for a new tire. It is not like a car. Your life depends on that tire. $100 or so dollars is not worth losing your life over.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

My local dealer charges $90 per tire if you bring them the entire bike and a new tire (I needed my rear changed due to a leak http://www.600cc.org/forum/f13/tire-leak-options-26626/).

All of the parts from Harbor Freight to do it myself added up to $90 (go figure) + the $130 for the new tire + the free youtube video instructions. Now I can charge friends $30~$40 per tire to do theirs and make my money back for the rest of my life :)

Please consider, it's really worth it and the FZ6R-Forum community is always willing to help if you get stuck along the way.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Brock Kickass

At my shop we charge $20 to put an inside patch in a (car) tire. That includes removing it from the vehicle, dismounting the tire, patching it on the inside, remounting it, testing the patch, and putting it back on the vehicle. $86 to cram a plug into a tire is so far past a ripoff it's not even funny. To insert a plug the wheel does not have to come off the bike and the tire does not have to come off the rim. The actual plug costs the shop about $0.35. Whoever quoted you that should be treated exactly as if they had looked you in the eye and called you dumber than wood.
We do not plug car tires because it is a total crap half-assed way to fix a tire. Cost aside, repairing a motorcycle tire is dicey. The curved profile of the tread area makes it difficult to make a patch take and plugs are unreliable. Splurge on a decent tire and save some $$ by eating no-name Mac&Cheese instead of real KD if dough is tight.

2wheelie

If the puncture is somewhere around the middle (riding area), you can use a plug and ride. Just get a set of plugs in auto store for around 4-6$ and plug it yourself. No need to remove ti tire. I rode a plugged tire for about 10k miles.
If the tire is too used up, order one online and ride the plugged one in the meantime. When the new one arrives, remove the wheel off the bike and bring it together with the new tire to an independent car tire shop. They'll flip it for $5.

tobymax

inner tube?

After a flat, how come we don't use inner tubes as a solution when the tire is still good? I am a newbie but i do remember that bikes used to have inner tubes.

jamesgarfield

well i feel like a total idiot now...Not very impressed with the plug at all. They said I should be good to go ride like I would normally...

the nail itself looked like it was used to hang a picture frame (baby) so it looks like they made the hole even bigger lol

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

After a flat, how come we don't use inner tubes as a solution when the tire is still good? I am a newbie but i do remember that bikes used to have inner tubes.
Tubes don't work because they don't stand up to the heat a radial tire produces when it flexes. Tires are a lot different than 50 years ago, but tubes aren't. They're still ok for off road and low speed applications, but not up to the task of modern highway driving.

yfz6r

They really ripped you off.
But I ride on plugs and know many that do. Modern motorcycle tires don't blow-out anymore. You can let all of the air out of a tire and still ride on it. I remember a couple years ago a magazine did a tire review and forgot to put air in them. Gave it a bad review and said it had very mush handling lol

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

jamesgarfield

I'm def gonna follow up on this with the dealership...they recommended that I plug vs. getting a new one. Im more concerned about safety than the cost. They just told me it wasnt even a question that all I needed was a plug :(

S

SkyOrDie

We do not plug car tires because it is a total crap half-assed way to fix a tire.
On steel-belted radial car tires I have exclusively used plugs. Over the past 40 years I must have plugged 25 holes with 100% success. I think the steel strands help hold the plugs in place. Inside patches can delaminate and fall off. In every case I never even took the wheel off the vehicle. I'm back on the road in half the time of changing to the spare.

Motorcycle tires are much more critical to our safety. It would worry me to ride on a plugged tire, but being the cheap-assed bastard that I am, I would probably do it. I'm sure I'd find an excuse to change it out early, though.

-Stan

Roaddawg

I'm def gonna follow up on this with the dealership...they recommended that I plug vs. getting a new one. Im more concerned about safety than the cost. They just told me it wasnt even a question that all I needed was a plug :(
Even if that was the case....$86 plus labor!?! How much would a new tire be from them...$1800 plus labor? Lesson learned.

Cheap kit:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358628807&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+tire+plug+kit]Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Expensive kit:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-International-Tubeless-Plugger/dp/B001BBSD9C/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1358629043&sr=8-15&keywords=motorcycle+tire+plug+kit]Stop & Go International Tubeless Tire Plugger with CO2 1001 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]