• Small compressor

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • CO2 Cartridges

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Alright guys, I'm looking for some input. If you were to carry a tire inflation kit on your motorcycle, what would it be? Would you carry a small compressor, or would you carry a CO2 cartridge-based inflation kit?

Examples:
Compressor [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Power-Sport-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Slime 40001 Power Sport Tire Inflator: Automotive[/ame]

CO2 Cartridges [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-2425-Ultraflate-Plus/dp/B00278XO0Q]Amazon.com: Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Just wondering... but how many flippin' CO2 cartridges will you need for a motorcycle tire!!!??? I have that sort of tool for my bicycle, but its tube is much smaller.

I'd say it depends on what you want to be prepared for. If you need a little for a slow leak to get you to the next repair shop, then CO2, but if you're planning on patching a completely flat tire and getting it all pumped up, the compressor seems better to me.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering... but how many flippin' CO2 cartridges will you need for a motorcycle tire!!!??? I have that sort of tool for my bicycle, but its tube is much smaller.

I'd say it depends on what you want to be prepared for. If you need a little for a slow leak to get you to the next repair shop, then CO2, but if you're planning on patching a completely flat tire and getting it all pumped up, the compressor seems better to me.
According to this chart, you could do it with as many as 5 or as few as 1, just depends on which size you get.

Attachments

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:eek:

Holy giant chart, Batman!

Let me try to shrink that!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cdsdave

What else would you put in your kit. Blowing the tire back up won't be much use until you plug the leak. What is the best way to do that for these tires, a plug kit, slime, rideon. Just wondering what you veteran long distance riders use in case of a puncture flat.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What else would you put in your kit. Blowing the tire back up won't be much use until you plug the leak. What is the best way to do that for these tires, a plug kit, slime, rideon. Just wondering what you veteran long distance riders use in case of a puncture flat.
I've got a plug repair kit already. Sticky cord is alright, but the cord with caps are better. Also, since I use dynabeads in my tires, I can't use any of the sealants for plugging a tire.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Superzoom

I've heard of motorcyclists gutting a compressor to make it smaller. Strip off the big plastic case. That would be a good compromise.

BoneJj

Holy Huge Chart Batman!!! In that case, maybe the small compressor would be better. It would be cheaper in the long run because it won't need cartridges.
exactly, also they make some tiny air compressors that are just as big as a few of the larger cartridges. I have a couple smaller ones that I keep around, I bought one years ago at harborfreight and it's still working great today... it only cost me 8-9 bucks, I can't remember exactly.

A friend of mine got this one to go in the side of his swingarm bag on his bike and it works perfect...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0XC1S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=floridacom06-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004C0XC1S]Amazon.com: Lifeline First Aid AAA 300 PSI Air Compressor: Clothing[/ame]

He's used it a couple times on trips to adjust tire pressure for higher elevations and it works pretty good. He used his the other day to put a little air in my bikes back tire as I had accidentally let out too much when adjusting pressure and didn't realize until after I gotten to his house. My gauge went into the trash after I got home and I had bought a new one on the way home.

Make sure you gauges work properly, lol.

I have like 8 of them but it so happens the one that I keep on the bike went bad.

Mine is a little larger and takes a lot longer to pump air but it works none the less...

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
After careful consideration, I decided to go with a small compressor. The deciding factor was that it came with three connectors: pre-wired SAE connector from the battery, gator clips and cigarette lighter plug. It's small and lightweight and should pack away nicely.

Thanks for the input guys.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

QWiCkFliCk

i inflate my tires w/ a bicycle pump...i think they have portable ones for like $20 u just might be pumping for a while(no pun intended)

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

I rode with some guys a while back who literally were prepared for anything. They all were on "big" dual sports (gs1200, dl1000, 2 dl650's, and 2 adventures) but they were getting ready for a big trip out to Colorado and one guy carried tire tools and a C02 inflater, another had a compressor and plugs, another actually had spare tires and tubes just in case, they had to use it once and used the C02 to set the bead then the compressor to to fill it up.

yfz6r

Small compressor, remove the casing. Best solution. Also some gummy worm plugs.
These two things can fit under our back seat with the stock tool case. This makes the stock storage for emergency tools and any add on storage for personal use.