Tire Hugger idea

It's That Easy... at least THAT part of the process is easy.

here is a video on carbon fiber kits you can get to make your own parts

YouTube - ‪How To Make Your Own Carbon Fiber (Fibre) Parts.‬‏
Great video, but the two most difficult and time-consuming steps of the process weren't shown: making the model and making the mold of that model in which you eventually lay the glass (or CF). And the two magic words to constantly be thinking about when building your model and mold: avoid undercuts.

y0uki11edkenny

Great video, but the two most difficult and time-consuming steps of the process weren't shown: making the model and making the mold of that model in which you eventually lay the glass (or CF). And the two magic words to constantly be thinking about when building your model and mold: avoid undercuts.
do a search for machine shops in your area or there was a community tech school that i went to and if you asked them to cut some steel with there pressure cutter i bet they could do it.

Y

yellowfz

Agree , how did they make the mold ? That is my biggest concern , the mold and how to go about it . If I made one out of CF or FG I would still want to retain the ability to change the splash guard piece to what ever shape I wanted . :D

Y

yellowfz

That Triple looks sweet, but he would need a full fender to keep his back dry. But I doubt a bike like that would be ridden during anything but perfect weather...or ridden onto a trailer to carry to a show. Definitely not a touring or commuting bike, like I have mine setup.

Yellowfz, if you decide to make some more fenders, I'd be interested in one. While it be cool to make one myself, I suck at doing mods. They take me forever to complete and I end up not riding the bike cause it's in pieces. I would want to put my license plate on it though. I can stick a led spotlight on the bottom of my hard case frame to shine on the plate.
Starting today on some probably make 3 or 4 up .

Agree , how did they make the mold ? That is my biggest concern , the mold and how to go about it . If I made one out of CF or FG I would still want to retain the ability to change the splash guard piece to what ever shape I wanted . :D
You could write a book (or several) on how and what materials to use for both the model and the casting of that model. And if you want to be able to have different size fenders (without cutting the finished FG each time), you'd have to build a separate mold for each fender. You could re-use the same chain guard mold though. Then again, if you were making them for different types of bikes, then you would obviously need to build a different mold for each different model bike. I still haven't even gotten good enough where I can save the original mold for any given piece I build. Almost all of my past molds have been so intricate that I inadvertently end up with undercuts that make it necessary that I break the molds just to get the FG piece out. Frustrating, but for one-offs, they always end up looking pretty good.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

Had to wait for some of the steel to arrive , but while waiting I made a handy little helmet holder for the left side of the handle bars , a God send , now I can hang the helmet and have free hands .
Addition;
Okay I went to a cycle shop in the area that sells European bikes they had the Ducati and the BMW both that have the tire hugger , man , they are made of solid cast aluminum with the splash guard fused to the aluminum , long story short , I have a version 3 in mind .
The BMW and Ducati Tire Huggers as I said are cast aluminum and thick , 1" to 1 1/2" wide arms and at least 1" or so thick , beefy , I don't think we can , need , or would want anything that drastic seeing I am using the axle bolt to secure it to the bike , but I can see a new design to the arms that hold the splash guard . Give me a few days and I will post something up and see what y'all think .

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yellowfz

yellowFZ i wonder if your huger will fit a 09 FZ6. id defiantly be interested in a blue one if that's the case.
Hmm , don't know will have to get back to you on that one , if the swingarm and the axle bolt are the same then yes , if not I can see if I design one that will .

Y

yellowfz

Fz6

No FZ6 is different sorry , but could make one that will work .

Y

yellowfz

Okay , talked with a older gentleman who worked for Lockheed Martin , showed him the part on the bike , he said that the metal was probably the best , he said fiberglass would more than likely break , and maybe even Carbon Fiber , said aluminum would stress fracture more than likely . I asked about the vibration of the part side to side (sometimes when you hit a hard bump the part will vibrate side to side in short osculations lasting for a very short duration) , he stated that the metal would last for longer than the bike would .
I had a though of casting the part , it would work but the initial cost is to much , aluminum tubing could be used , 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch , again it might stress fracture (going to a place tomorrow to inquire a little more about aluminum) , would it look to bulky and be hard to bend ? So right now I am sticking with the last design , V2 , but would welcome any input from anyone . :thumbup:
Part from mounting plate to top of tire is 12 to 13 inches , so it hangs out in the air with no support .
I am anal when it comes to something I am selling , it has to great or I will not do it .
So far I have been down some very rough roads , and I mean rough , the part shows no sign of failure as of yet .

Thanks in advance .:thumbup:

Okay , talked with a older gentleman who worked for Lockheed Martin... said fiberglass would more than likely break , and maybe even Carbon Fiber , said aluminum would stress fracture more than likely...
Honestly, brother, I'm not trying to be (too) offensive here, but what did this guy do at Lockheed-Martin? Because if he's telling you that a motorcycle part made of CF would "break" and aluminum would "stress fracture," then I've got to say I don't think he knows what he's talking about. However, if YOUR design's hub connection point were made of anything other than steel, then it probably would break. But anything other than steel for that part of your design was never even a consideration, was it? Because your struts and the fender itself could of course be made of any of those other materials and there wouldn't be a risk of breakage. And if any severe oscillation were to occur because of design (not material) and the part made contact with the tire, for safety's sake, I would rather the part break than the tire shred.

We all know that there have been literally thousands of similar strut and fender-type motorcycle parts made of the aforementioned, non-steel materials that have stood the test of time without breaking or stress-fracturing. My thinking is: if the design is correct for the materials used, then whether it be fiberglass, CF, steel, or aluminum -- it'll work.

When I was building a mechanical prototype for this patented pet product of mine, I had a so-called expert in construction and material (an engineer) tell me that my way of building it would not work. And, of course, my way DID work. So, I guess, from experience, I'm a little skeptical about some experts' opinions; especially in areas that aren't their exact, specific areas of specialty.

Maybe it's the pain meds I'm on, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about regarding what might break or suffer stress fractures; but according to his line of thinking then, my little chain/splash guard fender prototype will likely disintegrate before I ever reach the end of the driveway -- and I don't think it will.

Y

yellowfz

Honestly, brother, I'm not trying to be (too) offensive here, but what did this guy do at Lockheed-Martin? Because if he's telling you that a motorcycle part made of CF would "break" and aluminum would "stress fracture," then I've got to say I don't think he knows what he's talking about. However, if YOUR design's hub connection point were made of anything other than steel, then it probably would break. But anything other than steel for that part of your design was never even a consideration, was it? Yes , Aluminum , plastic , Carbon Fiber , Fiberglass were all considered , but not readily available to me .Because your struts and the fender itself could of course be made of any of those other materials and there wouldn't be a risk of breakage. And if any severe oscillation were to occur because of design (not material) and the part made contact with the tire, for safety's sake, I would rather the part break than the tire shred.

We all know that there have been literally thousands of similar strut and fender-type motorcycle parts made of the aforementioned, non-steel materials that have stood the test of time without breaking or stress-fracturing. My thinking is: if the design is correct for the materials used, then whether it be fiberglass, CF, steel, or aluminum -- it'll work.

When I was building a mechanical prototype for this patented pet product of mine, I had a so-called expert in construction and material (an engineer) tell me that my way of building it would not work. And, of course, my way DID work. So, I guess, from experience, I'm a little skeptical about some experts' opinions; especially in areas that aren't their exact, specific areas of specialty.

Maybe it's the pain meds I'm on, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about regarding what might break or suffer stress fractures; but according to his line of thinking then, my little chain/splash guard fender prototype will likely disintegrate before I ever reach the end of the driveway -- and I don't think it will.
Prototype testing , parts under stress and fracture related fatigue , vibration , pressure , well you get the picture , he bent , beat , vibrated , stretched , and otherwise tried to break or cause to break a aircraft part . He has built many things out of Fiberglass , steel , aluminum , boats , motor homes , cars , three wheeler , guy has done it all , I do think he was not getting what I was asking though (he said the arms could be subject to fracture , not the mount or splash guard) .
The part moves when osculating maybe .125 (1/8") of a inch , nothing near striking the wheel or tire miles away from that . The osculation was a factor I considered from the start , I figured it would have some movement , that is why I could not figure how someone could place one wrapping the sides of the tire just fractions off the tire and it not rub it when moving , to remove that it seems some thick metal is needed . Not knowing FG or CF can they be made rigid enough to not osculate ?
Have taken it over roads rougher than wagon trails and it shows no signs of distress of fatigue .
BMW and Ducati must have felt like a large block of cast aluminum was necessary (was surprised when I discovered this , expected a plastic part and thinner than it was ) and I bet the Triumph has a cast aluminum arm with Carbon Fiber Splash and not the whole thing out of CF (Triumph looked as though it has a Ducati rear assembly) , don't know would like to ask the builder of composition .
SnSL I really thought most of part could be made of FG or CF , of course the swingarm bracket would need to be a metal of some kind embedded into the FG or CF .
So V3 is still on then , I will have to learn to use FG or CF , Version 3 soon then !
Thanks SnSL for input . :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yellowfz

Have not abandoned this project , still testing . Version 3 coming soon .

Y

yellowfz

Still doing the project , I think I am abandoning the Version 3 idea and just leave as is , I like that you can change shapes and sizes of splash guard , the other idea I had you would be to much of a hassle to make new shapes and sizes .
I did start 3 more months ago but got side tracked , weather is cooler now getting inspired again . :thumbup:
More to come in a few weeks .

After a Six Month Delay...

Not sure any of you guys are still following this thread, but after a long delay due to a multi-bone breaking losing stand-off with a dude in his left-turning Benz, I was able to get back to work on my fiberglass version of the floating fender concept. Here are some pics of the unpainted pieces (solo-seat tail included) bolted to my SV. Just have to add that in spite of the fact that this project was infinitely less complex than my first fiberglass project ('07 R1), I made more mistakes on this sophomore effort than I could ever have imagined. This time around, it was literally a two-steps-forward then one-step-back sort of affair. I blame it on the constant distraction of all-consuming pain, but excuses are excuses, right? And, no, that warpy fender shape was not intensional -- plenty of clearance though. Tried sitting on the bike, but can't get my too-slowly mending left leg up on the peg yet.

Oh, and that blue on the new integrated tail light is paint (primer, actually) masking tape.

Last edited: