Tire Hugger idea

Made a huge mistake on the part and had to start over, but back to where I was before the discovered flaw (forgot about degree of twist needed for alignment), hope to try first cast within a few weeks.
Like the Duc you should be able to mount a license plate to this and run a wire for LED light.

Tire hugger mud flap was test fitted today and it was a fit.
Now to finish smoothing out the part and finishing it to get it ready for casting.
Getting closer.

Attachments

• 0402131607b.jpg
    0402131607b.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 0402131607c.jpg
    0402131607c.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 74
In the smoothing out and coating stages of the part getting ready to try the casting, probably next week if all goes well.

Will post up some pictures of the part in the next few days, can't wait to have it finished and start the casting. :)

In the smoothing out and coating stages of the part getting ready to try the casting, probably next week if all goes well.

Will post up some pictures of the part in the next few days, can't wait to have it finished and start the casting. :)

even though I dont own a fz anymore I am still very excited for this project

Ah, this thread will do me well, I am looking to do something a little different for my rear tire and this gives me some ideas...

Thanks.

Still think I will be able to try casting next week.
Here is some more shots of the part in its finishing stages.
You can see a white spot (low area) and there is another on the other side that need attending to, other than that good to go, and building a couple of boxes for the sand mold, and the sand for casting. I have Aluminum already.
The part is a sight to behold, the twist, turns and contours, took a lot of time.

Attachments

• 0425131505a.jpg
    0425131505a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 0425131505b.jpg
    0425131505b.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait! Was there any idea of colors/pricing/build material?
I just thought black for the part, the flaps kind of up in the air, of course the flap can be anything you want, the part is aluminum and the mount steel. I was thinking $145-$165.

Ah, this thread will do me well, I am looking to do something a little different for my rear tire and this gives me some ideas...

Thanks.
If you do something, post it here and let us see what you did. :)

Need any help give me a shout out.

I think I'm going to try and find a pre-made fender that has the right shape and just cut that too the size I want to have. Once I do that I'll either glass in or make a metal frame to support it in place.

The key is going to be finding a fender that I like, with the right shape... I might have to stop and talk to the shop behind my uncles shop, they do a lot of bikes there, see if I can't find a part over there.

I think I'm going to try and find a pre-made fender that has the right shape and just cut that too the size I want to have. Once I do that I'll either glass in or make a metal frame to support it in place.

The key is going to be finding a fender that I like, with the right shape... I might have to stop and talk to the shop behind my uncles shop, they do a lot of bikes there, see if I can't find a part over there.
Sounds like a plan. I would most definitely do reinforcement of some kind if you do F-glass.:)

Yeah I thought about the finder and contour aspect too, just never got around to looking for that.

Man taking longer than anticipated, once I painted the part it revealed imperfections. They had to be sanded down, I may be making it to smooth, but have never done this stuff so making it as smooth a finish as I can before casting.
Anyways here is a shot, one more sanding/paint coat (after rain stops again) and then the green casting sand mixture, plus boxes will have to be made and I still need to make up a smelting device for melting the aluminum for pouring. This stuff takes time.:eek:
Slowly but surely getting there.
And red was just a color I reached in and got from the paint cabinet, no reasoning behind it, but then again I might do mine in red powder coating to offset or add to present color scheme.

Attachments

• 0509131355.jpg
    0509131355.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Man taking longer than anticipated, once I painted the part it revealed imperfections. They had to be sanded down, I may be making it to smooth, but have never done this stuff so making it as smooth a finish as I can before casting.
Anyways here is a shot, one more sanding/paint coat (after rain stops again) and then the green casting sand mixture, plus boxes will have to be made and I still need to make up a smelting device for melting the aluminum for pouring. This stuff takes time.:eek:
Slowly but surely getting there.
And red was just a color I reached in a got from the paint cabinet, no reasoning behind it, but then again I might do mine in red powder coating to offset or add to present color scheme.

Good job man, can't wait to see the finished product. Very cool you will be making the casting and pouring all yourself.

If anyone has any experience with casting aluminum please feel free to interject. :)
Tricks, tips, pitfalls etc... :)

Back