Tire Cracked By Rocks... Should I worry??

Man

Riding to work today I hit some rocks and heard a little pop. After checking everything I found this crack on the rear tire. 7 hours later after work I check the tire and the air seems fine. Should I be worried..stock tires with 5000 miles.

Attachments

Bert-Aus

If you look closely enough you will find cuts like this all over your tires, from glass and other road debris.
By the looks of it you have plenty of rubber to hold the tire together for a long time yet

JDD

Consider the risk to cost factor..

If it were my bike and I had 5000 miles on the tire and saw a crack that size I would replace the tire.
Even though tires have improved greatly over the years; many riders still change their tires after 5000 miles anyway.

Just a friendly suggestion. ;)

AL72

I think there is no problem with that tire, in my previous bike my rear tire had a large crack since new (Pirelli MT75 130/70-17). At the end I changed the tire for normal wear (12,000 km/7,500 miles).

Regards!

Nmexico

From the pics the tire has another 5k miles to go. Those BT021 never wear out. I would just get this as an excuse to get out of the tires front and rear early and get some Q3s, Pilot Powers, something softer and more fun.

I did it took the loss and enjoy my bike much more with Q3s.

Man

Thanks for the suggestions, Yeah i think I'll keep the tires on for this season and get them replaced when the next one rolls around.

Thanks for the suggestions, Yeah i think I'll keep the tires on for this season and get them replaced when the next one rolls around.
Throw some soapy water on the crack and see if it bubbles any. Look very carefully and if you see bubbling, replace. If not, the tire is fine and is just a minor damage to the outer treads and likely disappear with wear. :D

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Man

Thanks, due to so many many potholes and gravel in the Northern VA area i'm surprised my tires are in great shape.