Time to vent.

efforex

So i am sure that maybe i am blowing this out of proportion but i thought i would list my concern here and maybe get your views on my story.

I went to a local gas station to where i work and bought a couple of cereal bars for my wife and I for work. Once i started eatting the bar i noticed it was stale and out of date by a couple of months. I then went into this business a couple of weeks later to find a dead cockroach on the floor next to the refrigeration units. I felt like this had gone far enough with how nasty this place was since they were 1 running a deli and selling food products that were months out of date.

Long story short i filed a BBB complaint and they emailed me about the action they were taking. A couple of weeks later i get a phone call from a unknown number who ends up being the owner of the store that starts off with are you Mr. joel i said yes i am and then proceeds to tell me i am a lair and that what i said wasnt true. I told him that this is true and what i have seen is not a lie and that i was annoyed that you took no care of your business along with selling food to people with cockroaches in your establishment and stale food thats out date. He denied all this then proceeded to say that he was gonna call my place of employment and get me fired as i stated in the complaint i worked near this gas station(only 4 business in the immediate area). I called the BBB the next day to figure out how he had obtained my phone number and name and then find out that they gave this person

My home address
Phone number
Full name
E-mail address and the complaint

I find this to be piss poor that they put me in jeopardy for doing the right thing and making sure that he wouldn't cause harm to other with bad food and run a good business (maybe this isn't my place but it pissed me off)

There website says they will send to them everything you fill out on the complaint but no where states they will give them all your contact information i mean i understand maybe my name and phone number but "WHERE I LIVE" there response to what if they take action into there own hands and come to my residence and cause problems is just to call the cops i think that this could of been avioded by one asking if it is okay to release this information and two stating what information would be release.

Sorry but im just very frustrated.

DragonBlu

Unfortunately this will happen even with the police when they tell you they will leave your name out of something. These other agencies like the BBB will burn you even quicker. I have learned this the hard way and am very careful when doing "the right thing". The idiot is probably just blowing off steam and won't even call your work and if he does,BFD. You did the right thing,be proud FTA.

efforex

Dam where do you go to complain about the BBB?
I called my mom up after talking to them to just be pissed and vent to someone and she was like im going on there site right now to put a complaint in about them see how they like it .

Haha i love my mom she raised me and my bro on her own and damn if she lets anything bad happen to us even though were 24 and 25 now lol

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BKP

LOL...

You guys give me some of the best belly laughs... (I don't mean to laugh -- I know you're frustrated -- but the chances of this guy going through with a phone call to your employer is not only minuscule, but, it's actionable if you were just following BBB procedure for a legitimate complaint).

The BBB doesn't allow anonymous complaints, and they *will* give your info to the accused, because, in their words, it legitimizes the complaint -- which has a certain amount of credence. If anonymous complaints were sanctioned, everyone would be reporting everyone else to them for everything under the sun...

Most legitimate businesses will answer BBB inquiries with explanations, to the BBB themselves, and they'll list it as acknowledged and responded to. This guy decided to pull a major stupid by calling you, threatening you, and basically incriminating himself as a result... Perhaps he doesn't realize phone records are forever...

Don't go there again... tell your friends not to go there... That'll do more damage than the odd chance of a local seeing the complaint because they looked 'em up on the BBB site before their fill-up...

Have a beer...

Ride safe...

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Detrich

that sucks. maybe use an alias next time? thanks for sharing and hope everything works out ok. u did the right thing. if it's a chain store, then u can contact their corporate headquarters and they'll typically be a lot nicer.

example, a friend once time found a particular mcdonald's dirty and crappy food. so, he called mcdonald's corporation, and they thanked him for it and said they would investigate the franchisee to see why their store is so poorly managed.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

efforex

Bah, you beat me to the punch... I was waiting for him to answer my question. My business is registered with the BBB and we have had complaints in the past. The reason for them releasing your information is like he said, for the company being filed against can followup and try to correct the issue with the unhappy customer. If they company doesn't, it can affect their rating with the BBB and cause them major grief.

Reasons for the release of your information:

Home address - For mailing purposes incase they cannot contact you by other means and also if they are a service company and keep a database of their customers (in my company's situation). This allows us to review the history of the customer and any services rendered to try and find out where the break down in customer service happened.

Phone number A means to contact you for resolution.

Full name For correspondance purposes in most cases (letters, etc)

E-mail address and the complaint Another form of communication incase the company has a PR Department and the use email correspondance and the complaint being released of course is pretty self explanitory.

Meanwhile back at the ranch... your beef should be with the way the business representative (owner/whatever) handled themselves in the followup. That should also be filed with the BBB. I completely agree that was bad form and a bit nuts. Think of it this way... if the guy really does stay true to his threats and contact your place of work.... you have proof thanks to the BBB that a legit complaint was filed and this is how the owner responded.... or you could always click the "remain anonymous" radio button or not complain to the BBB in the first place. Goodluck with your quest bud! :thumbup:

The only thing im personally not comfortable with them having is my mailing address.

Roaddawg

Like BKP brought up, if people could just file anonymous complaints, it would get out of hand. I'd imagine the "dirty" competition would just saturate anonymous complaints to the BBB in order to get more business and put their competition out of business. The accused should have the right to know who the accuser is. It's only fair that way. Maybe next time, use your work address.

I would, however, file another complaint with the BBB about the threatening phone call from the owner. That way its logged as well and, should something happen, you have more 'evidence' in your favor. That's my $.02.

Bert-Aus

I'm sorry but i missed the part where you returned the said stale food and complained in person about the cockroach?

Without pointing these things out in person with 'the evidence in hand' some lazy store people aren't even aware of how bad their service is... my 2c

Chevyfazer

I'm sorry but i missed the part where you returned the said stale food and complained in person about the cockroach?

Without pointing these things out in person with 'the evidence in hand' some lazy store people aren't even aware of how bad their service is... my 2c
i was going to say the same thing, plus something like what dart said

Im not to familar with how the BBB works but im not sure if they can actualy do anything to a buisness can they? other than give them a bad rating which no one looks at anymore. If the store has a deli you should call the local health inspector, they will go out in person check the place out for themselves and if its as bad as you say it will most likely get some sort of fine or maybe even a temporary shut down-(not 100% sure how the healt department works either)

or go all crooked and tell them they are selling beer to minors, that always gets action :zombie:

Grumpy

Expired food dates and un-packaged cooler foods with bugs around! I would have called the health department ASAP. Not acceptable.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

efforex

I have worked next to this place for three years and on many occasions not only myself but other co-workers have spoke with the store manager about the stale food and dirty gas station on top of more then one occasion of wrong charges on credit and debit cards.

SAFE-T

I wouldnt worry about your employer, but if you have any concern, just mention it to your employer. Describe the situation you encountered there and mention casually you logged a complaint and this is the response you got from that business.
That's what I would do.