ticking sound from engine? what weight oil? Problem?

angelsneverlose

hey guys
im new here, and i have just recently bought a 2009 fz6r:D! (loving it btw). well it just got to the 200 mile mark (after 2 weeks), and it seems there is a ticking sound, thats pretty loud, coming from the engine? Is this normal, or is this something to have looked at? im posting because i cant remember if the ticking sound was there or not when i bought it, and i just noticed it!

also, im going to change the oil, what weight/brand am i supposed to use? Would this fix the ticking sound possibly? I read somewhere, they use very thin oil to start with, and the last couple weeks its been 90+ degrees w/ 90% humidity!

-bike has never been over 7K either if it matters (been very gental)-

JSP

Super Moderator
Check your chain tension. Mine now just after 300 miles is pretty loose. I had to tighten it up today. So that may be it.

Oil, 10w-40 or 20w-50 i believe?. Brand depends on your taste :D Motorcycle or car oil is fine, just make sure its not "energy conserving".

I usually use Rotella T. I just changed the oil in it but I used Valvoline motorcycle oil just to try it out.

The oil shouldn't be causing the ticking... unless its pretty low? Check the level?
Put the bike straight up, take dip stick out and put back in but do not thread it in. Pull it out and check level.

Funkmaxtor

Mine ticks a little when the bike is hot and been running for about an hour straight. Hasnt affected performance at all. I've checked my oil numerous times and it was fine every time.

angelsneverlose

Mine ticks a little when the bike is hot and been running for about an hour straight. Hasnt affected performance at all. I've checked my oil numerous times and it was fine every time.
ok, maybe that was it, because i noticed it when it was cold and it was much more pronouced then... once it was hot, im not sure i could here it anymore:)

Bigevildoer

ok, maybe that was it, because i noticed it when it was cold and it was much more pronouced then... once it was hot, im not sure i could here it anymore:)
Sure you're not just hearing the valves opening and shutting? Mine tick a bit at idle speeds just like they're supposed to. You've got a problem when you DON'T hear them ticking :surrender:.

T.

angelsneverlose

Sure you're not just hearing the valves opening and shutting? Mine tick a bit at idle speeds just like they're supposed to. You've got a problem when you DON'T hear them ticking :surrender:.

T.
haha:p

thanks guys! i think its fine, i think its supposed to make the noise like ^ said... i just got worried cause i only just noticed it, lol. it is a brand new bike so i was being extra extra careful:)

llervero

Check your chain tension. Mine now just after 300 miles is pretty loose. I had to tighten it up today. So that may be it.

Oil, 10w-40 or 20w-50 i believe?. Brand depends on your taste :D Motorcycle or car oil is fine, just make sure its not "energy conserving".

I usually use Rotella T. I just changed the oil in it but I used Valvoline motorcycle oil just to try it out.

The oil shouldn't be causing the ticking... unless its pretty low? Check the level?
Put the bike straight up, take dip stick out and put back in but do not thread it in. Pull it out and check level.
Do not use car oil. Wet clucht system needs the additives that only motorcycle oil has.

ramflyer1899

Let the dealer do the 1st oil change. They'll also give the bike a once over. I would not recommend doing the 1st oil change yourself. Just my $0.02....

Senaca

My FZ6R ticks like a monkey on a typewriter, most notably below 5K RPM. It isn't the chain, it's the motor. I'm betting this is normal as I have heard very much of the patented Yammi-tick technology... my 2005 FZ6 did it as well.

:D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
My FZ6R ticks like a monkey on a typewriter, most notably below 5K RPM. It isn't the chain, it's the motor. I'm betting this is normal as I have heard very much of the patented Yammi-tick technology... my 2005 FZ6 did it as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the valves.

spacemonkey

im worried about this one too. i know when cars tick its really bad cuz its the pistons hitting the valves. but if you all say that yami-tick tech is the way to go then ill beleive you. the ticking is noticable whenever the bike is on, cold warm hot dont matter.

JSP

Super Moderator
Do not use car oil. Wet clucht system needs the additives that only motorcycle oil has.
No where does it state to use MC specific oils, even in the manual. You can use what you wants, its fine. It will turn to a big debate, but everyone here seems civil so it shouldnt get out of hand right? :D

As long as its not Energy Conserving oil, such as most all 10w-30, the wet clutch will be fine.

Manual states API SG type or higher, JASO standard MA. 10w-40 or 20w-50. Check the backs of any oils and if it meets these standards all is well...

Read on:

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

Peter Verdone Designs - Motorcycle Motor Oil

Motorcycle Motor Oil

Testing Motorcycle Oil

angelsneverlose

thanks for the help guys, i drove it by the dealer and after like 10 secs of listening, they said the yami motors always tick and thats all i was hearing (they even started a new R6 to show me, lol)... i was just nervous because its my first new bike - didn't want to have something happen at 150miles already!!:)

i did change the oil on my own (just hit 185ish miles) to get any possible chips or something i keep reading about out btw, but no worries, i used to correct oil = Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

i cant believe what they used when i drianed it! it was like water it was so thin! i called them and asked, and i guess they use extra thin stuff until the first service (600miles), which i will have them do so not only is the oil changed again, but the bike gets a whole once over!

Senaca

It is concerning to hear strange noises from a brand new bike. The issue is that all bikes seem to make their own unique noises that you need to get used to. Someone I know keeps trading in his bike after each year because the noises get to him, but every bike in all kinds of categories have some kind of sound that is particular to a bike.

For instance, mine ticks... while my friend's Bandit 650 sometimes makes a bit of a hissing noise, like air from a valve. Sounds strange, but it's just something to get used to as it's normal.

That said, I sure hope the tick is normal... but it would seem that it is. :thumbup:

Senaca

AfDevin86

I would think that the ticking sound you're hearing is the fuel injection system. It's normal. Just the injectors.

Jerman81

Mine does it for a sec at 3000 rpm then again from 4000-4500. Get an aftermarket exhaust and you'll never hear it again! As for the valves hitting the engine that's bs, if that happened you couldnt say rebuild fast enough.

pilninggas

could also be the exhaust header-pipe bolts needed a tweak up, ask at the 600m service or do it yourself with a torque wrench.

also many modern bikes can make a ticking sound due to exhaust gases 'slapping' the headers as they exit the cylinder head - pretty normal stuff.

Bigevildoer

It's a combination of the valves and the injectors. If your bike stops making ticking noises, you've got a problem that should be looked at immediately. Your valves and injectors are probably stuck open or closed in that case. Bad news either way,