Tickets

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

vitrox

I haven't gotten any tickets yet since I've been riding motorcycles. Its only been about 5 years now, but still. I've had a few close calls though. I was heading home, doing 80 in a 55 and I was coming up fast on a unmarked cop. He threw his lights on while he was still in front of me, I slowed down and sent a friendly wave to him as I went by. Didn't get pulled over.

another time, same stretch of road, i was heading home and it started to rain. I was going about 20 over the limit to try and not get completely soaked as I was only a few miles from home. Cop coming the other direction threw his light on, saw me in a full tuck on my r1. I threw a wave at him and slowed down to 55 and went on my way. The troopers here are quite nice to bikers.

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

When I got the ticket it was from a FHP Trooper! Hated them, me and my friend were talking to the cop about the bike and the trooper said you guys better get moving or else I'll write you another ticket. I was like WTH, we were talking to the cop...

JonKerr

Elite Member

neshi

Ouch. 40 in a 25 might bump you up to the next level fine wise. Minimum is $178 for 1-15mph over. But 15-25 over is over $300.
second in NY that would have been 195 to 360 depending on the conditions!

For me if i had to choose to get a ticket it would be in NJ as long as they dont have to take you in there is no points no court unless you want to fight and best your insurance does not know because NY only honers tickets from Ontario Canada

CGENGO

I love the name of that second document "Courtesy Notice"!! There is nothing courteous about a big fat fine like that!

pyrocpu

Not eligible for traffic school? Been in the last 18mo? :(

pyrocpu

Meh. Work the CA court system.

Send your notice back in to request an arraignment date.
Get the arraignment date in the mail.
Appear at your arraignment. Plead not guilty. Also waive your right to a speedy trial (more on this later)
Court asks you for a trial date. Extend it out as late as possible. Accept this trial date.
4-6 weeks before this trial date, request a rescheduled date.
You get a rescheduled date.
A month before this second date, request another reschedule.
You get ANOTHER rescheduled date.

Appear at your trial on this last date. See if the cop shows up. No cop, no ticket.
If he does show, no worries. The court usually gives 10min or so for each cop to meet with each offender. Cop will show calibration of gun, his training certificate showing he's qualified to operate on that, and proof he was the cop who gave you the ticket. No problem, just be nice to the cop (he's just doing his job).

When judge asks you to reconsider your plea, ask him if he would consider extending you the privilege of the 12hr traffic in exchange for no additional points on your record. Judge will take into consideration the magnitude of your offense at hand, as well as your previous traffic record. If it's not too bad, there's actually a good chance you'll get the 12hr course.

Now, the 12hr course costs about 1.5x of that of the normal 1-day, 8hr course, yes. And you MUST do it in person, not online. It does, however, keep that point off of your record.

I've done this twice in CA when I still lived there, and even though I probably got 5-6 tickets in 7 years in Los Angeles County, I had 0 points on my record throughout that ENTIRE 7 year period.

Thing is, other than time, you've got nothing to lose. That entire time between your citation and that final trial date, the cop can't submit that to the DMV yet, as it hasn't been decided upon. You send in your $$$, that clears them to send that point in to DMV, whereupon your ins. co. will pull your record at renewal time.

Roaddawg

Meh. Work the CA court system.

Send your notice back in to request an arraignment date.
Get the arraignment date in the mail.
Appear at your arraignment. Plead not guilty. Also waive your right to a speedy trial (more on this later)
Court asks you for a trial date. Extend it out as late as possible. Accept this trial date.
4-6 weeks before this trial date, request a rescheduled date.
You get a rescheduled date.
A month before this second date, request another reschedule.
You get ANOTHER rescheduled date.

Appear at your trial on this last date. See if the cop shows up. No cop, no ticket.
If he does show, no worries. The court usually gives 10min or so for each cop to meet with each offender. Cop will show calibration of gun, his training certificate showing he's qualified to operate on that, and proof he was the cop who gave you the ticket. No problem, just be nice to the cop (he's just doing his job).

When judge asks you to reconsider your plea, ask him if he would consider extending you the privilege of the 12hr traffic in exchange for no additional points on your record. Judge will take into consideration the magnitude of your offense at hand, as well as your previous traffic record. If it's not too bad, there's actually a good chance you'll get the 12hr course.

Now, the 12hr course costs about 1.5x of that of the normal 1-day, 8hr course, yes. And you MUST do it in person, not online. It does, however, keep that point off of your record.

I've done this twice in CA when I still lived there, and even though I probably got 5-6 tickets in 7 years in Los Angeles County, I had 0 points on my record throughout that ENTIRE 7 year period.

Thing is, other than time, you've got nothing to lose. That entire time between your citation and that final trial date, the cop can't submit that to the DMV yet, as it hasn't been decided upon. You send in your $$$, that clears them to send that point in to DMV, whereupon your ins. co. will pull your record at renewal time.
Your still getting screwed. What's worth more, your time it takes to dance around the court system or paying the fine? In the end, the cop doesn't really give a crap by then, he's getting overtime probably, the court is spending time and money rescheduling you, and the great ol' CA deficit gets bigger...but hey, you got to take the advanced traffic school. :D

pyrocpu

Well... actually, yeah, I'd have to agree you're getting screwed in one way or another.

However, on the face of principle alone, I'd rather do the song & dance and stick it to The Man. I'd far rather have my hard earned dollars going to a private, capitalist business rather than squandering it away to Uncle Sam!

joloy133

Well... actually, yeah, I'd have to agree you're getting screwed in one way or another.

However, on the face of principle alone, I'd rather do the song & dance and stick it to The Man. I'd far rather have my hard earned dollars going to a private, capitalist business rather than squandering it away to Uncle Sam!
I can't say I totally agree with you on that one. Uncle Sam is America and I have seen, travelled the world and this is my home......by choice! ( And some of the worst aspects of our society involve a certain type of capitalist.)

pyrocpu

I can't say I totally agree with you on that one. Uncle Sam is America and I have seen, travelled the world and this is my home......by choice! ( And some of the worst aspects of our society involve a certain type of capitalist.)
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one then! I could go on and on... :) It is true though, that this is where we choose to live--and it's good!

:america:

MikeN02

So I went to my court house this morning to show them my traffic school completion, when I went out and back to my bike? I got a parking ticket.

FML.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

WOW, you should go buy a lottery ticket, your just having all the luck...:surrender:

One would think parking at a courthouse would be free, it's that way near my courthouse too, parking meters... so they screw you coming and going, I have to go pay my taxes and I have to pay to park to pay my taxes...
I've been involved with the law/police every month since december, seriously.
Dog warning, fish warning, red light ticket, parking ticket, family dui, etc etc

But it was my fault because I parked behind a car on the street as all the cars were parallel parked. There was only room for a motorcycle so I looked around for a fire hydrant, also noted that a firetruck couldn't fit into the space. Went inside, came back out and got a ticket for parking near a yellow sidewalk. Thing is, the paint was so faded I didn't even see it, not to mention I was wearing sunglasses.

kevcoop

I just got one in Ventura county. Its going to cost me $328.00 plus traffic school for going 80mph on the freeway.:eek:
Nothing free on that way

First ticket in 10 years.:(

porky45

I just got one in Ventura county. Its going to cost me $328.00 plus traffic school for going 80mph on the freeway.:eek:
Nothing free on that way

First ticket in 10 years.:(
I got a very similar ticket coming returning to so cal (in car), just after the grapvine and before six flags. 83 mph i believe it was. 3am in the morning, hardly anyone on the road. I thought it was pretty weaksauce, but hey it doesn't matter what i think.

Fine was similar to yours as well.