This is messed up...

pilninggas

that is appalling - more like a jacking than a stop. Surely that rozzer needs either a bit of a disciplinary or retraining. Scary people like that driving around with a gun.

Not saying the UK is much better, but not many regular coppers are armed, let alone off duty.

Wooster

Maybe I'm missing something because I didn't see anything in the video that actually showed the cops questioning or arresting him because of the recording. All the video shows are 2 cops arresting a guy who was driving like a retard which at those speeds they are well within their rights to do. The off duty cop identified himself as soon as he got out of the car. He probably didn't need to pull his weapon, but that is up to his discretion and no court in this country is going to fault him on that.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Spunky99

The Federal Appeals Court has ruled that video recording the police in a public place is a constitutional right for all U.S. citizens.

Those cases where wiretapping etc was used as an excuse to prosecute and imprison people that video taped Police or anyone else in public are going to be tossed out.

GLIK v. CUNNIFFE - Heard June 8, 2011.

I wear a helmet cam whenever I ride and have a mount for my cage too.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Shuffle_Punch

haha well if it's any consolation officers in the city where I work get specifically trained that we can/should be expected to be recorded in all situations.

Even from a LEO perspective the whole situation was quite shady.:mad:

One other thing.... (I'm not fond of sterotyping :p )

"and thats part of the reason law enforcement is so corrupt :)mad::mad: )..."

"...no one questions them (in some cases they do) they regulate the people and how they can use there weapons... ---> he didn't "use his weapon" by my standards...

"...cooperating..." (wasn't cooperating, per say, he started backing up, which imo can cause a little bit of raised awareness)

Albeit he definitely should have ID'd himself earlier... but in the heat of the moment I can somewhat see how it COULD (not should) happen that way.

PS, and if it were me... off duty, plain clothes... I would have let the marked car, that was obviously close, make the stop... which would have eliminated a lot of the issues... but that's just me

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

The Federal Appeals Court has ruled that video recording the police in a public place is a constitutional right for all U.S. citizens.

Those cases where wiretapping etc was used as an excuse to prosecute and imprison people that video taped Police or anyone else in public are going to be tossed out.

GLIK v. CUNNIFFE*-*Heard June 8, 2011.

I wear a helmet cam whenever I ride and have a mount for my cage too.
I was going to say I got into this when I recorded some idiot Firemen playing tag with city water trucks .
In Texas if you are in public you are fair game , private residence/property you have to have permission .

pilninggas

haha well if it's any consolation officers in the city where I work get specifically trained that we can/should be expected to be recorded in all situations.

Even from a LEO perspective the whole situation was quite shady.:mad:

One other thing.... (I'm not fond of sterotyping :p )

"and thats part of the reason law enforcement is so corrupt :)mad::mad: )..."

"...no one questions them (in some cases they do) they regulate the people and how they can use there weapons... ---> he didn't "use his weapon" by my standards...

"...cooperating..." (wasn't cooperating, per say, he started backing up, which imo can cause a little bit of raised awareness)

Albeit he definitely should have ID'd himself earlier... but in the heat of the moment I can somewhat see how it COULD (not should) happen that way.

PS, and if it were me... off duty, plain clothes... I would have let the marked car, that was obviously close, make the stop... which would have eliminated a lot of the issues... but that's just me
thats how it would happen in the UK; any stop would be done by an marked traffic vehicle, if they were alreasy there. Infact in high speed pursuit, usually a marked unit will replace an unmarked unit as the main pursuit vehicle as they are more obvious/visible.

Surely the actions of that 'officer' are unconstitutional? I bet the Continental Congress never had that in mind when they sought seccession from Britain!!

The right to bare arms, as long as you've put plenty of suntan lotion on them first!:justkidding:

Spunky99

I was going to say I got into this when I recorded some idiot Firemen playing tag with city water trucks .
In Texas if you are in public you are fair game , private residence/property you have to have permission .
I decided to stay out of the debate on the circumstances of the arrest as I don't have all the details or claim to know the laws in this case.
I do know it is a 1st Amendment right to record, take pictures or video tape just as it is a right to witness anything in public. I've never heard anyone (Police Etc) tell someone to close their eyes or turn their head and look away from anything going on..in public.LOL I've seen a lot of people put their hands in front of a camera or video recorder and declare they don't want to be recorded but the truth is that there is "ZERO expectation of privacy in public". So when the PoPo tell you to turn off the video cam, they are violating your 1st Amendment rights but to refuse may be painful. They can charge you with anything they want as in obstructing the duties of a Police Officer by refusing to turn off the cam but just because it is your right, do you want you butt kicked and the recording erased and the recorder destroyed? Not following the orders of a "Police Officer" (Federal Marshall, State Police FBI, Etc) is not a good idea. Now when it comes to a TSA agent outside Federal property, LOL..they can go pound sand....they aren't anything more than a Rent-a-Cop and have very little training on law or use of force or anything else. They aren't even given a thorough background check either.......

If you don't want to be exposed for the squid you are, don't be getting squiddly in a public place...period. The cities and states can make any law they want to but after review, the Federal courts have decided that this is an infringement of your Constitutional rights (1st Amendment) and any cases will be dismissed upon review no matter who filed them.