Thinking of a new bike....

cbzdel

So the wife wants to learn how to ride, finally! She is not learning on my bike, its my only transportation!

So i was thinking about getting her a used Ninja 250.. But then got to thinking we live in WA, it rains all the time, why waste money on something I am positive she will wide maybe 10 weekends a year (she wouldnt be able to take it to work because she works at a mall, and we wouldnt trust it in the parking lot)

So I got to thinking maybe I should pick out another bike for me :D

I already have a sport bike though so how about something different??

I have a $3000 budget so I hopped on craigslist..

Hmmmm.... There is quite a bit, but nothing is catching my eye.. Until I find one of these...

Really a Honda Rebel?? That tiny 250??!!!

Well I like projects, so I see that Honda Rebel and see a end result of something like this:

Plus there are PLENTY of rebels on craigslist for around $1000 bucks!!

Talk me in or out of it... Keep in mind I am not looking for speed, just something different since I already have a sport bike :cool:

Stricken

Had the same idea... Just bought be a SV650 naked! Boy this thing is much lighter than the fz6r and a lot more torquey!

cbzdel

edit, I also wanted to add, with these rebels, I was reading they have had the same design FOREVER so if you kill the motor you can just pick up another bike for $1000, swap motors and part it out :thumbup:

arkkornkid

edit, I also wanted to add, with these rebels, I was reading they have had the same design FOREVER so if you kill the motor you can just pick up another bike for $1000, swap motors and part it out :thumbup:
true... much like the ninja 250: if the engine dies, buy a new/used engine for next to nothing and keep riding. I know the rebels were notorious for needing constant maintenance.... but I'm talking 15-20 years ago. I can't say I know much about the newer editions.

That custom one in the pic above does look cool as hell.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Hey! Well, I used to own a Rebel 250. Had it about a year. Can ask dart, I used to ride that thing almost 110 miles round trip to work. It is a great little bike. I will say again "little". Im about 220 lb geared up and the little 250 hauled my ass with no problems. Cruised around 65-70mph just fine with me on it. (will not go any faster though!)

I put almost 12,000 miles on it.

It is absolutely great on gas. VERY easy to change the plugs since they are right there on the sides, and VERY easy to do your own valve adjustments (which it needs every 8k miles if I remember right).

Everything is just plain easy to work on. It is a cramped little bike if you want to commute on it though. My knees where way up there. Lots of people do crazy mods with them though, so the possiblilites are really endless with what you can do to that little thing.

Couple things to consider...

It has NO fuel filter.
It has NO oil filter.
It is Air cooled, so its possible to overheat if you sit in traffic a lot in really hot temps. The engine gets really hot and that head just goes straight up to YOU.

I installed an inline fuel filter myself which was very easy. Just cut the gas line in half and put it in.

Instead of an oil filter it just has an oil screen inside the engine, which does need cleaned every great once in a while.

They are all carbed, so you need to check the float bowl for sediment (thats why we do the inline fuel filter).

And no, it is not fast by any means. It does get up and go, just doesnt do it very fast haha.

I say definitely go for it, if that is something you are considering! They are bulletproof engines too. Havent changed since like 1985 or something. Fun as hell to wrench on and ride. :thumbup:

Last edited:

DragonBlu

My buddy has one,his only complaint is keeping up on the freeway with traffic. It's ok for around town or secondary roads,but weak for highway travel. Old Honda air-cooled were pretty reliable.

JSP

Super Moderator
Here was mine...

arkkornkid

man.... seeing these makes me want a project rebel.

maybe I could trade my ninja for one.

JSP

Super Moderator
Like dart said, you can walk out of the dealer with a new one for a little over $3k.

Very good condition used ones can be had for $1k all day long it seems.

And if you can find a 450 Rebel... those are sweet as well!

sammy56

I had an SV650 also (as my first bike). It is a lot more torqey at low rpm, but when you get the FZ6R up in revs it can really move us. I loved my SV650, but it lacked weather protection and was not as "naturally" smooth for me. I do miss it's off the line power when compared to the FZ6R, but I will have to wait for my next ride for more off the line power.....maybe the FZ8R, FJR or BMW 1200RT. Oh I will be dreaming for a few more years until I can justify changing bikes again. I do love the FZ6R still.....

FitZ6R

If you want retro/minimalist, how about going all the way down to one big, vertical, thumping cylinder? I'm thinking a Suzui Savage/LS650/S40. They've been around since the 80s under various names with few changes and they're about as simple as a rock. Plus, they can be made to sound pretty good with an aftermarket exhaust (check youtube).

sammy56

Those smalish cruisers have no power and terrible brakes....I cannot imagine anyone who has riden an FZ6R (and likes it), taking to an 800cc (or less) cruiser and enjoying it for anything more than a 15 minute errand. If you are looking to tinker with it and customize the heck out of it...then I guess any bike would do that is at least 5 years old to ensure there is every imaginable mod available.

MikeN02

If you want retro/minimalist, how about going all the way down to one big, vertical, thumping cylinder? I'm thinking a Suzui Savage/LS650/S40. They've been around since the 80s under various names with few changes and they're about as simple as a rock. Plus, they can be made to sound pretty good with an aftermarket exhaust (check youtube).
Brother got a 96 Suzuki Savage 650 as his first bike as he's into the Harleys and Cruisers, not Sport Bikes.

Hates it on the Highway as it tops out about 70 or 75 so he says.

Roaddawg

I say go for it. I love those little bobber style cycles as well. It would be perfect for just a little around town bike, not for a commuter. Just a fun bike. Plus, your wife can ride it when she's feeling the need, but then you got a cool little bike to putt around on. Look at those Hardknock kikker 5150 bikes...they are pretty cool and they are kit bikes. They just released a 250cc v-twin that's pretty sweet and it's around $2500 new, I think.

indexa.html