they are out to get you

Chip

When I first started riding, I stalled out a bunch of times. Cars started honking like crazy. Then I was in a left turn and my bike wouldn't go (Ninja EX500 old carb) and so the idiot behind me got on the right lane and drove past and made the left turn ahead of me and also called me an idiot.
Wow! That sounds dangerous, I mean I usually don't take more than an extra second or two but people can get impatient quick!

I'm assuming you're in the middle of the lane when you do this in NJ. Out here in CA we usually split lanes at stops and if you hesitate more than a second or two on takeoff from a stoplight then you'll have cars flying by both of your shoulders.
Yeah, I mean I've seen people lane split here, but I am too afraid to try that yet and most of the roads I take to college are 2 lane, so I can't really lane split.

matt_not_andrew

This might seem like a stupid question but is part of the problem the road layout?
In the UK we have generally narrower roads with lower traffic lights on the ground about 10ft high. It seems to me that with the lights so high in the US and the roads being so wide it might make it a bit more difficult to see the lights.

That said we also live in a nanny state where for every crossing or road junction there are about 5 signs on the approach, lots of warning paint on the ground and the numerous signs associated with the hazard at the location as well.

I'm probably wrong but thats just my 2p worth.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
This might seem like a stupid question but is part of the problem the road layout?
In the UK we have generally narrower roads with lower traffic lights on the ground about 10ft high. It seems to me that with the lights so high in the US and the roads being so wide it might make it a bit more difficult to see the lights.

That said we also live in a nanny state where for every crossing or road junction there are about 5 signs on the approach, lots of warning paint on the ground and the numerous signs associated with the hazard at the location as well.

It's not so much that people are unaware that there is a stop coming. It's just a blatant disregard for traffic signals and laws. :mad:

Mart Man FZ6R

Man, I just don't get it. The people that are plowing right into the back of cars that are stopped or screaming right past the other cars already stopped at the light. What are they doing?? If I see a car in front of me stopping, I slow way down or stop myself to see what's going on so I don't run into something.

These people should have their driving privliges revoked. Just crazy, I'm like a +1 on the I'll just stay home with my bike in the garage safe and sound.

Roaddawg

I'm assuming you're in the middle of the lane when you do this in NJ. Out here in CA we usually split lanes at stops and if you hesitate more than a second or two on takeoff from a stoplight then you'll have cars flying by both of your shoulders.
Don't you just love that!! People get all bent because you split to the front, then they have to try and race you at the light. :rant:

Roaddawg

Like 99 said, some people just don't care....they're more important in their little world to worry about slowing down. And, if the lights were only 10 feet above the road, all the big rigs and delivery truck would be taking them out since they're about 14 feet high.

Chaser

I suspect the majority of these red light crashes are not caused by people purposley running the light, it's because they're not paying attention to the fact that the light has turned red while they were texting or putting on their makeup.

Kappa189

Wow

Wow... Just showed this to my buddy, he brings to my attention that the first 8 videos are from Knightdale, NC. I literally drove on my bike and made these turns tonight.

Scary shit. Im avoiding the intersection from now on...

I don't know bout ya'll... but I hate riding alone.

dannymac702

Distracted Drivers

Was riding on the interstate and came up behind a small hatchback. The license plate was "STOPDUI" and had two MADD bumper stickers. Had to see what the driver looked like. Typical mom type but was reading a magazine that was opened across her steering wheel!! WTF??