The Outcome

Doggman

Well guys... Unfortunately I didn't buy the bike. I did ALOT of thinking today and at the end of the day I decided it just isn't the right bike for me. Long story short it was just to much bike for me in all aspects. I rode it in a vacant parking lot with plenty of room and had no problems driving at all or shifting or any of that non-sense (counter steering came 100% naturally for anyone who is concerned about that) but it was when I got off and was riding back to my house with my parents that it started to form in my brain that I was getting in over my head. I was imagining all of the "unknown" because although I could get from point a to point b on it, i was no where near driving it in traffic much less a crowded college town with lots of crazy drivers and tons of sloped red lights haha. Basically I did not feel like I was going to be able to learn (and enjoy learning) how to ride a motorcycle on that particular bike because I would always be scared that if I messed up it was game over being the fact that it is a 600cc bike. So with all of that being said this is probably a disappointing thread but it doesn't have to be! I have new plans!

My new plans are to take the MSF course with my friend who is also interested in getting a motorcycle in 2 weeks and then go test drive a 2011 ninja 250r and a 2011 honda cbr250r and then get whichever i like more! :D

In all honestly I pussied out on the 600cc but whatever.. It just wasn't right for me. Better off alive with a 250 then dead with a 600 :cool: And if i fall in love with riding i can always resell the 250 for almost the same price i bought it and get a 600cc or 1000cc!! :D

P.S. - my mom said something that really helped me make my decision and it was something along these lines... "it would be more fun to drive a slower bike that your confident on and you can safely push it to its limits, than it would be to drive a fast bike that your constantly scared of" i guess take it for what its worth. just thought i'd post this up for anyone who wanted to hear it

CrazyCawi

Your always a part of our family no matter what u ride, and I highly respect your choice. Respect the bike and it will respect you! Thanks for thinking ahead and what's best for YOU! hope u stick around bro an best of luck

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.414109,-94.052769
Sent from Joshua's android dominating iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Citrus

You get marks in my book for acknowledging that this bike isn't the best for you personally to learn on. Not many people would make that decision. Hope you enjoy whatever you pick

oldtouring b

Hey Doggman

Now that is using your head!!! As you already discovered you can go plently fast on almost any bike. It is purely marketing that says American riders need a 1000cc bike!

One more thing--think about a like new used bike in the 250cc category. You might spend 2500 but you won't be worried about dropping it and you will be able to resell it for the same. It's OK that it might have a few learning marks. Just no serious damage. Craigslist and ebay will be a good source.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide. Ride safe.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FlyZ6R

Very wise decision-making bro! You know yourself better than anyone else and being comfortable with your bike is critical! Enjoy the MSF course, it'll be educational and fun, then go get the bike you want. Best of luck!

yfz6r

My first motorcycle was an fz1.

That came after a lifetime of dirt bike and four wheeler riding though. When people ask me what first bike they should get, I tell them a cheap ass dirt bike. Ride the balls off it in the woods, cruise around parking lots, get the feel for being on 2 wheels.

Deanohh

Ok. Thats a good category for you. There are a lot of nice used lighter weight bikes out there. Honda Rebel. Yamaha Star 250 twin. Not so much money or agony involved if a used one falls over. Having owned a Ninja 250: carburators.... hard starting and they all told me all of em are very cold blooded.... had to restart several times if it was a cold start, and then let it run or drive slow without giving much throttle for about 3 miles until it warmed up enough to take any accelleration without coughing. ON the forums there was all kinds of stuff about shimming needles etc... tried it and the thing always ran like crap and then changed back to stock and put up with it. High rev twin motor and you have to ride it wide open throttle all the time to get it to do anything at all.

The Suzuki TU250 is a cool retro looking standard.. single cyl, with fuel injection... nice bike but I think new to the US this year. The Honda CB250 is also a single, fuel injection. Not sure if any of these will be for sale used yet. The Honda is the most up to date design..... if they were out when I got the Ninja, I would have gotten the Honda instead. But the Hondas were not available and there was this used Ninja 250 with 900 mi on it. Rode the Ninja all winter, fun to ride, but got tired of it after about 3 weeks but kept it( it was my "rainmobile" while keeping my big bikes dry)... got rid of it in the spring for same price.

If I was going to get a lightweight (nothing wrong with that... they are very fun) and was going to go new, I'd get the Honda or a 250 to 400 dual sport, but I never would get carbs again.... fi is the only way to go.

There should be some good used deals out there right now. If I was going used, I'd try for any of the lightweights out there... less than 5000 miles....good price. And the cheap ass dirt bike concept is not a bad plan either.... you wouldn't hate yourself if you put another scratch on it.

See red

Smart move. The 250 will be a good cheap start. It is also easier to catch when the mistakes happen. They will.... lol.. But I am glad you used your head, my wife went and took the msf course and it did wonders for her.

Best of luck, keep in touch,

B.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Doggman

Kudos for thinking with your brain and not your pride. You didn't pussy out on anything IMO.

No problem learning to ride on a 250...like you said, you'll be more focused on riding than worried about crashing/dropping.

One caveat tho...don't close the door entirely. You haven't taken the MSF class yet. Taking the MSF class may shock you. I bought my FZ6R prior to taking the class, and just sitting on it I was questioning how I was going to handle it. It felt huge and heavy. One weekend in the MSF course, and the bike felt small and nimble and comfortable. You'll learn a lot in that course, and your comfort level and confidence will skyrocket. So maybe reconsider after you take the course, because a 250 might very well feel way too small at that point.

But regardless, do what's best for you.
Yeah there is a good chance this might happen. It all really depends how the class goes and then how I like the 250 when I get on it and test ride. Taking it one step at a time now instead of just going and getting a cool, fast, bike first and then trying to learn how to ride it. I'll be sure to let y'all know how everything turns out.

stevet

I totally respect your decision. In truth a 250 can get you killed just as well as a 600. Most guys wil go from a 250 to a 600 but not the other way around. Please be super careful no matter what you ride. Safety is always first. I put small rectangular fish eye mirrors_ Pep Boys $2.99 each) in the bottom outside corner of my rear view mirrors and I can see everything behind me near and far. Always look out for the other guy. The car always wins in a collision. If some one pulls out in front of you all of a sudden will you be able to stop? Ride safe my friend.

Merc250r

don't get a 250 i did this and ended up trading it within 2 weeks. TRUST ME!!!Sorry had to make it large so you can get my point:admin:

Merc250r

the funny thing is it's more dangerous on a 250.

0-60 8 secs, so most cars are out powering you, want to pass a car? good luck with that., want to go on the highway? Nope not going to happen.

jb200800

A 250?

Please, pause....and stop. Don't get the 250.

I'm still a new rider--passed the msf in August--and have put almost 1.5k on my FZ6R.

When I went bike shopping I was also intimidated by anything larger than a 250....I even had the dealer deliver the 6R because I was too terrified to drive it on public roads.

2 months later--and riding every chance I get--I realize a lot of that fear was baseless. Get the 6R, it is extremeley forgiving. Everything about it seems designed to assist a new rider learn, and also perform better than most 600cc alternatives.

Knowing what I know now, a 250 would have been terrible...take the "plunge," you won't regret it.

FlyZ6R

Whoa! Hold on a second everybody. Just because the 6R was good for YOU, or a 250 was not enough for YOU doesn't mean it is the same way for HIM!

It sounds to me like he has taken the time to reflect and honestly assess himself and he feels like he may not be ready for a 6R yet. NOBODY HERE KNOWS DOGGMAN BETTER THAN HE KNOWS HIMSELF! Maybe he will feel more comfortable after the BRC and be mentally prepared for a 6R, but right now he doesn't feel comfortable and, therefore, isn't mentally prepared for a 6R. To pressure him into buying a bike he isn't ready for is irresponsible IMO, not to mention potentially dangerous.

Get what you feel comfortable with after the BRC Doggman. If you "outgrow" it quickly you can sell it and get a bike with a little more "juice". The 250s hold their value pretty well, and there will be new riders looking for one to learn on. You won't "lose" anything by going that route. Even if you sell the bike after 6 months for $300 less than you paid. Consider it an investment in your enjoyment, knowledge, and confidence in riding. You'd be wasting your money and time buying too much bike, scare the crap out of yourself, and sell it. In that case you'd lose all around. However, if you take the course and YOU feel ready for a 6R, get one! It really is a great bike!

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Merc250r

I will say this though, I was glad I did start on a 250 to build my confidence, but sucked when i traded it in because I lost money on it,.

Osoreru

Definitely a good choice. There was a guy in the MSF course that I took who had already bought a fairly high CC bike (I don't remember now what it was), and all the gear, but then took the course because he was scared of the bike, and then couldn't make it through the course either. He stalled out every time he tried to get going, almost fell over multiple times, etc. This, of course, was on a little 250CC bike that the average person can pick up with one hand.

So yea, very good idea if you're uncertain about it to just go ahead and take the course, learn, then go pick up a bike. I decided on the FZ6R as my first bike, and I couldn't be happier. It's extremely forgiving and handles like a dream. So keep it in mind when you get more comfortable.