The noobiest of questions

SupremeBean

I'm embarrassed to even ask it:

How do you wash the thing? Can you just hose the whole thing down, or do you have to be careful of certain bits?

I told you it was noobish...

SupremeBean

Thanks

HaHaha; you got me.

The sign of a true noob; can't even google for himself.

At least I searched the forum, right? :D
Thanks again, man.

Spunky99

Perfect....

streetmaster

Dont use dish soap - It's not good for any paint!
Just use a good auto wash soap, But not wash'n'wax, you dont want that stuff on your tyres!!!
P.S. I bought a cheap leaf blower to dry my bike. Gets into all the places you cant reach & really drys the bike!!

Last edited:

FitZ6R

You're supposed to wash it? Uh-oh.

bmw675

Dont use dish soap - It's not good for any paint!
Just use a good auto wash soap, But not wash'n'wax, you dont want that stuff on your tyres!!!
P.S. I bought a cheap leaf blower to dry my bike. Gets into all the places you cant reach & really drys the bike!!
you are right, not supposed to use dish soap. it breaks down wax. the only time i use it on my truck is when im going to be putting new coats of wax on.

leaf blower works good, just watch out for some cheap gas ones, they could blow oil residue out as well and leave a smeary mess.

also, remember to oil your chain after you wash it as well.

Bikegirl88

- Put on your rbber gloves.

- Turn on favority CD,

- Pour a cold drink...

Now to begin.

- rim cleaner on the wheels to remove brake dirt and oil from chain and other dirt.

- Spray some spray 9 in hard to reach areas that build up grime but are hard to reach.

- Let first 2 soak for a few minutes.

- hose off and rinse bike.

- Fill pail with warm water and automotive cleaning soap.

- use microfiber wash cloth or microfiber covered sponge to wash all surfaces.

- Dry with leaf blower if available (or other non abrasive drying method)

- Start engine for a few miutes and allow heat from engine to help in the dring process.

- lightly cover painted surfaces with high quality natural or syntheic wax.

- Remove wax according to instructions

- (minir scratched can be removed with a scratch remover)

- use armor all on a sponge to make your non pained plastics shine.

- You can treat tires sidewall with silicone based product for shine - BUT BE VERY CAREFUL no to get this on your brakes and tire contact patch.

- WD40 will remove any gunk (spray it on a paper towel and wipe areas that experience thisbuildup)

- Take a short ride at low speed to make sure that you brakes and tires are free from cleaner. Apply brakes often to remove any overspray.

- When all is good - rde and enjoy your bike.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

MikeN02

First I park my bike in the shade or if you have a garage, this prevents the sun from drying it and you'll have dry marks on certain parts of the bike.

I plug my exhaust with a towel or something so water doesn't get inside it (it really sucks).

Hose it down, I use eagle one car washing soap, using a microfiber towel. After that I use a small towel to get into the details. One done I dry it off with a chamois.

And of course clean the chain and take out the towel blocking the exhaust.

JonKerr

Elite Member

streetmaster

Just a couple of notes,
The leaf blower I use is an electric one, so no chance of oil contamination!
We have 240V with a lower amp rating & earthed power leads!!! But with care there is no problem.
You don't have to wax every time you wash, too much wax buildup isn't good for paint.
Be very careful if you put any type of tyre shine the tyres. I prefer not to just in case. Get any on the contact patch & you might as well smear grease on them!!
I also don't recommend these spray-on/hose off cleaners. I tried the Meguires stuff on the G/F bike (NOT mine!!) & it left a brown residue on the tyres that I had to scrub off with a fine Scotchbrite pad!! Also found hot soapy water cleaned the bikes better anyway!
Not saying I know everything, but I've worked in the paint & panel field for over 20 years & had my own shop for 8!

CrazyCawi

can you bring it to the car wash place and hit it with a pressure hose or is that to risky with high pressure?

CDN6R

Honest "CC" I would not do that to my bike or my car. High pressure water can seep into places that it is not supposed to be. I would think that hand washing would be ideal:thumbup: And one more thing,, I think that putting any kind of tire shine on a motorcycle tire is dangerous. Any of that stuff gets on the contact patch (where the tire meets the road) could result in a crash!

Last edited: