The new guy is new

word sux

Hi I'm new

Think I'm going to get an FZ6R

I want to go to track days and learn to do some knee dragging. Any of you guys race??? (on the track)

This will be my first bike any advice is much appreciated

stuna

i dont get it :confused:if its your first bike , why do ya want to race track it ??
i have been riding for 40 years , i just want to have a blast

Newmason

Yeah this post doesnt make much sense

I dont think you bUY 6R to drag a knee and take her to the track. Although you could, but why?

angelsneverlose

i brought my FZ6R to the track last year. If you swtich the OEM tires for something sticky and good, the bike is great and a blast to ride!!;)

there is a video of it in the video or track section - i forgot which

word sux

Why not?

its my first bike I'm not about to buy an R6 and kill myself I want somthing a little more mild.

I love racing I have been involved in motorsports of the 4 wheeled variety for a while now but its too damn expensive. I need a reliable DD that I don't have to worry about working on till 5am trying to fix my car from the track day the day before. I figure I can get my speed fix from a bike since you can go much faster for much cheaper.

Newmason

Why would you kill yourself on an R6? Ever ridden one? Get the bike you want and learn to adapt to what you want to do with it. R6 is a great track bike and an all around town bike, wouldnt want to take it for long touring trips but if you must and have the determination, there are mods that you can do to the R6 to make it much more comfortable. Where as for the fz6r, there are mods that can be done to our bikes to make them better off for the track, but in some of the threads here with R6 front end conversions you will end up spending alot of time off the bike and alot more money only to be turning your DD into a track bike. Also, our 6rs are only in there 2nd year of production and not many aftermarket companies are evening making parts yet or will be making parts yet untill they start to see some numbers of people wanting the fz6rs, so untill then, we are left with some very over-priced high dollar aftermarket products that most of us either cant afford, or rather put the money towards paying our toys off! In a perfect world everyone would have a DD and a track bike, but when it comes down to it, you need to just buy what you really want and learn to adapt to whatever riding situation you need it for. Okay I am done now :surrender:

word sux

no offense but your the first person I have heard from that dosn't think getting an r6 for your first bike is a very very bad idea.

I have never ridden a streetbike before in my like and super sports are very unforgiving. It would be like getting a corvette zr1 for my first car but faster.

I am following otheres advice and starting small.

Newmason

I didnt say anything about the R6 not being a good first bike. I just said have you ever ridden one ;)

NYGirl

no offense but your the first person I have heard from that dosn't think getting an r6 for your first bike is a very very bad idea.

I have never ridden a streetbike before in my like and super sports are very unforgiving. It would be like getting a corvette zr1 for my first car but faster.

I am following otheres advice and starting small.
OOOH Man,
Please start with the FZ6R, plenty of controllable power and fun, for a beginner. The R6 is a race bike, period, IMHO the dealers should be asking potential buyers how many years they've been riding!! Til you learn to work the clutch you run the risk of having that R6 power buck you right off, not only hurting yourself but costing you alot of expensive plastic.

You're absolutely right, it would be like learning to drive in a Corvette. It can be done but...!

Forget it man, get the FZ6R, be safe and have fun. Oh and save yourself what, 4 grand?

Superfly

I think its kinda funny when riders think that an R6 is more dangerous than an FZ6R.

The R6 has more power but its not like someone has a gun to your head telling you to bring it up to 260km/hr...I can easily drive an R6 on the public streets below the speedlimit all day. I can be such a granny on an R6 I'd prob get a ticket for riding too slow. And on the other hand I've driven my FZ6R way too fast and prob would have lost my licence for a year if I was seen by the authorities.

This is why I bought an FZ6R : 1) Price 2) Comfort ie. riding position you can live on all day 3) insurance costs 4) styling

If youre buying a track bike youre prob going to want something more suited to the track with a suspension and brake system that can handle more than a couple laps. And after riding my FZ6R with the stock front end I personally dont think the forks are set-up well for track use...They are too soft for the track IMO. Yes people can ride it on the track but you're going to be nursing this bike around corners at higher than highway speeds and I dont think youre going to enjoy that. But is great for riding on country roads with less than perfect pavement...and thats why I bought it...

Newmason

Enough said! I'm with superfly :rant:

word sux

Like I said I'm starting with a more manigeable bike. I could ride an r6 around like an old lady too but like I said I want to go to the track and have some fun and starting on any super sport is going to be too much for me to handle.
Whats the point of having all that power if you are too green to use it.

Again super sports have much more throttle and brake response and are horrible to learn on. Once I get decnt with this bike it will be sold and then I will step up to the super sport plate. Everyone I have heard from says that you will progress much faster as a rider if you start smaller mostly due to the fact that you won't be scared shitless to go anywere near WOT or get on the brakes hard.

JonKerr

Elite Member

word sux

exactly I feel this will be a great bike to learn on then eventually step up to the r6 since it has the inline four 600cc engine so I will have a good feel for the style of setup and have a good feel for the gyroscopic aspect of the inline 4 as opposed to the vtwin soport bikes (sv650r)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

word sux

I never really said it was gonna be a track only bike. I will be driving it to and from work as many days as possible to help save on gas. I want this to be a bike I can take to work then go to some track days and learn how to do it. Once I step up to a super spor it will be the other way around.

MikeN02

I never really said it was gonna be a track only bike. I will be driving it to and from work as many days as possible to help save on gas. I want this to be a bike I can take to work then go to some track days and learn how to do it. Once I step up to a super spor it will be the other way around.
I don't think that the FZ6R is THAT great of a bike yet when you want to get rid of it. I mean it's not really a demanding bike that people want, I look at my local craigslist and I have yet to see anyone post selling their FZ6R.

To be honest, if you're new to the motorcycle world I would suggest the new Ninja 250Rs. They have the new aggressive styling, and since you said when you're ready to move up you'll be selling it. That's another strong point of the Ninja as it's a great beginner bike and many people tend to upgrade after it for more power, thus it has popular demand. Also it's lightweight, and saves great on gas. I think the Ninja 250 will flick around corners faster than most bikes, and also my friend has one and he gets about 70 MPG.

word sux

I'm too tall for the 250 I went and looked at one and sat on it and it jus wasnt going to happen my knees were almost over the tank

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I think the FZ6R would serve your purpose just fine. I commute daily on mine and have no problems taking long trips. On the weekends, I can also blaze the back roads and twisties with the same bike. A little later in the year, I hope to take it to the track. :cool:

Is it an ideal track bike, no. But will you still have a sh!t-eating grin on your face at the end of the day, hell yeah! You don't need to have a track bike to ride on a track. And if you are just learning, this bike is very forgiving. There are a large number of people on our sister site that take the FZ6 to the track and have a blast. That bike was not meant for the track either, but that doesn't stop them from having a great time. Heck, I have seen cruisers on the track before. :eek:

Track days are not just about going balls to the walls. It is a learning experience that most people will tell you makes them a better street rider.

The brakes can be upgraded with SS lines and EBC pads for better stopping ability. The front fork spring and oil can be changed to get rid of some of the softness inherent to the stock front forks. A set of new stickier tires and you would have no trouble running the FZ6R on the track.

This is all just my opinion.