The First Crash is The Hardest

Teh

The dreadful day finally came because I expected the norm and failed to foresee the unexpected :(
I'm sure most of you are experience rider and may be able to avoid this crash. May be some of you who has not yet been down can learn from my failure. Thanks to all for watching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_E3sINm0fM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_E3sINm0fM[/ame]

Last edited:

applejax

Sorry man. I hope your ok. The bike can be replaced, your body is another story.

Thankfully, you had the camera on :)

Spunky99

It is illegal for the limo to stop there as he had no traffic ahead of him was blocking the lane.
You crossed the solid white line into the lane behind him which is technically illegal but not contributory to the accident.

Making an unnecessary stop on the freeway is extremely dangerous and illegal.

I did hear him say something about his car being broken and disabled which is why he pulled to the left and stopped. Can you verify this or was that spur of the moment CYA?

I hope you are OK....

bobby bo bonsin

Oof! Dang that was a pretty hard crash man! Im glad your ok. Pretty scary stuff. It only takes a moment of error or inattention. Keep your head up man and atleast you got the first one out of the way. Good luck to ya.

Hello my real name is Adam.

Teh

Thanks Applejax and John, my x-rays result was OK. I had contusions on my left arm and left chest. The fist 2 nights I woke up with shortness of breath because it was painful to take a normal breath. I think I'm OK for now.

The limo driver was a carpool cheater, he tried to get out of the carpool at the last minutes onto the regular toll booth lane illegally on the left side. I should have seen that coming, but I did not. He was not a very nice man but that is his problem.

applejax

It is illegal for the limo to stop there as he had no traffic ahead of him was blocking the lane.
You crossed the solid white line into the lane behind him which is technically illegal but not contributory to the accident.

Making an unnecessary stop on the freeway is extremely dangerous and illegal.

I did hear him say something about his car being broken and disabled which is why he pulled to the left and stopped. Can you verify this or was that spur of the moment CYA?

I hope you are OK....
Cause that makes sense, car broke so instead of going to the right shoulder, he crosses over a lane into the left shoulder.

He is just making up a stupid excuse for being an idiot.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

applejax

Glad you're ok man. I watched the video. In morality he is wrong HOWEVER, under the law I think you're gonna get stuck with this one. Here. Dude can slam on his brakes in the middle of the road and it doesn't mean anything, If I hit him in the rear, it's considered my fault.

Being a rider, I'm pulling for you though.

Let us know how INS handles this.
You can't just slam on your brakes and completely stop in the middle of the highway for no reason.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

MF! Thankfully your not worse for wear!

Good luck with the insurance! At least you have your footage as proof of situation

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

Brock Kickass

You can't just slam on your brakes and completely stop in the middle of the highway for no reason.
Ethically, no, but legally, yes, unfortunately. Although making erratic moves or stopping altogether on a highway/freeway is dangerous and completely asinine, by law a driver is responsible for not colliding with vehicles in front of them, no matter what the reason for the car in front slowing/stopping. When driving, it is your responsibility to be prepared at all times for vehicles in front of you to make unexpected maneuvers, and to follow at a distance to allow you to avoid a collision with a vehicle in front of you. In fact, in Ontario, if you are stopped at a traffic light and you are hit from behind, if you are pushed in to the car in front of you, you are considered at fault for hitting the vehicle in front of you except in the most exceptional cases. For example, if a car smokes you doing 40mph you'll be off the hook, but otherwise the law basically states you were stopped unsafely proximate to the car in front. These laws are designed to make drivers allow more space between vehicles. Most of us follow too closely. I'm guilty of it from time to time, more often in the cage than on the bike.

As I said, this isn't always the most sensible law, but it is the law in most places in North America. If anyone on here is a skier or snowboarder, they'll be familiar with this concept. On the slopes, you are 100% responsible for not hitting anyone downhill of you. No exceptions.

Regardless of the legality, I'm not pointing this out to criticize. A crash is always a bad scene, and I hope you come out of this with minimum disruption to your life, physically and financially. It's clear you were not being dangerous or negligent. I'm just pointing it out for those who might not know. Every jurisdiction is different; it's a good idea to read up on the law before you hit the road.

applejax

Ethically, no, but legally, yes, unfortunately. Although making erratic moves or stopping altogether on a highway/freeway is dangerous and completely asinine, by law a driver is responsible for not colliding with vehicles in front of them, no matter what the reason for the car in front slowing/stopping. When driving, it is your responsibility to be prepared at all times for vehicles in front of you to make unexpected maneuvers, and to follow at a distance to allow you to avoid a collision with a vehicle in front of you. In fact, in Ontario, if you are stopped at a traffic light and you are hit from behind, if you are pushed in to the car in front of you, you are considered at fault for hitting the vehicle in front of you except in the most exceptional cases. For example, if a car smokes you doing 40mph you'll be off the hook, but otherwise the law basically states you were stopped unsafely proximate to the car in front. These laws are designed to make drivers allow more space between vehicles. Most of us follow too closely. I'm guilty of it from time to time, more often in the cage than on the bike.

As I said, this isn't always the most sensible law, but it is the law in most places in North America. If anyone on here is a skier or snowboarder, they'll be familiar with this concept. On the slopes, you are 100% responsible for not hitting anyone downhill of you. No exceptions.

Regardless of the legality, I'm not pointing this out to criticize. A crash is always a bad scene, and I hope you come out of this with minimum disruption to your life, physically and financially. It's clear you were not being dangerous or negligent. I'm just pointing it out for those who might not know. Every jurisdiction is different; it's a good idea to read up on the law before you hit the road.
In nj, you can get jail time for driving slower than the posted limited causing a blocking of normal Traffic flow.

I consider what this limo did as impeding normal Traffic flow.

Bloke

One has to ask, if it was the car closest to him rather than the limo several cars ahead that slammed on the brakes, what would he have done.

Tailgating is tailgating. Limo guy is a douchebag for failing to signal and stopping on a freeway (likely be done for obstruction on a roadway) but the actual accident I'd say is down to the biker failing to give adequate room to the vehicles in front and clearly eager to overtake (passing on the solid white) he even neglected his lifesaver (shoulder check)

Had a friend in pretty much the same situation only in cars, guy in front of them slammed anchors on to rubberneck an accident on other side of road, my friend went into the back of them. Ended up in court being prosecuted for driving without due care, guy in front got knuckles rapped for causing an obstruction.

cyberal

Glad to hear you're doing okay now!

I have to admit that I cringed and felt my heart racing while i saw your video. I feel terrible for you and f**k that limo driver.

However, can you tell us what happened next? Was the video useful in any way? Was the limo driver found guilty of anything?

I tried to see if you, or someone else, had already posted this video on the Bay Area Riders Forum (under the Law Enforcement Officers forum), to hear their professional opinion, but couldn't find it.

IDK if it's appropriate or not to post that there, but I wanted to check with you first. I think other riders might find it useful to know what to expect when someone pulls out a jerk move like that in front of you.

LEO Forum - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Teh

Cause that makes sense, car broke so instead of going to the right shoulder, he crosses over a lane into the left shoulder.

He is just making up a stupid excuse for being an idiot.
If any one watch this video carefully from the beginning, the limo driver intentionally cut across several lane on the the far right carpool lane (no toll but required a transponder) because he was in a rush to get a passenger(s) in SF, then he either realized that the regular toll lane on the left was not full, or he realized that he did not have a transponder and did not want to pay a fine (a hefty $480 ticket (21655.5 b vc) for driving in the carpool lane). So, he drove and cut back to the left trying to make an illegal cross to the toll lane without any signal either.

Teh

Glad to hear you're doing okay now!

I have to admit that I cringed and felt my heart racing while i saw your video. I feel terrible for you and f**k that limo driver.

However, can you tell us what happened next? Was the video useful in any way? Was the limo driver found guilty of anything?

I tried to see if you, or someone else, had already posted this video on the Bay Area Riders Forum (under the Law Enforcement Officers forum), to hear their professional opinion, but couldn't find it.

IDK if it's appropriate or not to post that there, but I wanted to check with you first. I think other riders might find it useful to know what to expect when someone pulls out a jerk move like that in front of you.

LEO Forum - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum
cyberal, please do not post my video at the BARF yet. (May be after all is done and clear) I will definitely share with everyone here as things progress. It was my first time so I need to understand all the legality stuff first Thank you very much.

Rookasaki

Dang Teh, my jaw dropped when I watched your vid. Thank God your ok. Not sure what the hell the limo driver was thinking. That crash was no fault of yours that's for sure.

cyberal

cyberal, please do not post my video at the BARF yet. (May be after all is done and clear) I will definitely share with everyone here as things progress. It was my first time so I need to understand all the legality stuff first Thank you very much.
You've got it. Please keep us updated and best of luck.