Targa Fender Eliminator Caution

Stricken

So something weird happened to my inspection tag holder. I weigh about 175lbs on a good day + gear. I also have about 4 lbs of stuff in my tailbag. I got home from an 8 hour ride (Riding around Houston taking pictures of houses that are going on auction) and saw this:

http://upload.pbase.com/image/135283336/large.jpg

http://upload.pbase.com/image/135283335/large.jpg

http://upload.pbase.com/image/135283337/large.jpg

I do have new Pilot Road 2 tires that have a taller profile compared to the BT-021s that came with the bike. I also have the suspension set on "5". I dont know what caused it.

Fulkon

Thats actually happened to my license plate before. The tag rattled loose and got bent all up from the tire.

amg14

funny you bring this up because i was going to start a thread about the same issue but never got around to it. im not sure what that plate you have behind your actual licensed plate is because i didn't have that when i got my targa FE kit. nevertheless, when i was on the highway doing like 80mph i didn't see that there was some serious pot holes under this overpass bridge cause the sun was right above it casting the perfect shadow. after hitting this hidden tire bending trap i stopped to make sure everything was alright with the bike and i saw that my license plate had been bent back. im 195lbs with the stock set up and tire.

once i got home i bent the bottom of the plate back into place and then bent the top of the plate so it comes out at an angle instead of how i had it when my tire hit it, which was straight.

Attachments

kevin8198

Elite Member

Rao

The Plate behind the license plate is for the State Inspection Sticker.

I've thought about placing mine on the right side of the battery housing, but found some info on various forums that (at least in Texas) you need to have the inspection sticker both "near the license plate" and "visible from the rear"

Kinda makes things frustrating when you dont want your plates getting bent.

Last edited:

tractorboy

happened to my FE but first one was home made. In my opinion it happened when you hit that big bump! Remember it? think...mostlikey you did and suspension moved enough for tire to hit the bottom of the FE. I know it seems hard to think you moved the rear wheel that much but trust me...you can!! Same weight and I did it hitting a Baad bump.....and didnt hear it...got home....bingO. DUMB ME Not realizing at the time....fixed it...went back that way 1/2 mile from the house...to the store...bam..there it is again!!

set suspension higher and never has happened again..I think she was a little soft for my fat butt.....200....

just my humble opinion/experience.

DakinechicK

That happened to me as well, so I just bent it upward. No problems after that.

kevin8198

Elite Member

ChUcK

I just crushed my license plate to hell and back today also. My wife and I have been 2up at least 10 other times with no problem.

I bent the plate back into shape except for everything underneath the letters- that I left bent up and out of the way. Time to stiffen the suspension, I suppose.