Tank Bag issues

Fizzi6ergal

So, as many other people, I have a magnetic tank bag. I live down a dirt road about 1/4 mile down the dirt road. I get dirt up and under the magnets and it scratches my tank. So I now have some deep(and look somewhat dirty) scratches where my magnets sit. Has anybody come up with a solution for possibly fixing these scratches without sending the whole tank off to get repainted? I know there is a clear coat on the outside of it. I am planning on switching up to either a suction-cup tank bag or a local company here makes tank bags that are strapped on and can unzip from the zipper.

RoadTrip

Yeah, my new gixxer is black, I have had to ditch the tank bags due to scratches (shows up worse on black), I am going back to a tail bag. I tried using some 3M paint protection film, it worked but its so hard to apply on all the curved surfaces, ended up ditching that route. As for scratches, there are all kind of products that can hide them, or buff them out. Personally, I have just left them and a good coat of wax hides them pretty good with the high shine, I really am not sweating the scratches so much anymore, perfect finishes can become an obsession, so now I just call it patina.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Bert-Aus

I had a similar thing happen with my tank bag a while back.

Best thing for anyone using tank bags is to get this Tank topper from The Tank Slapper.

I got it a while back, works a treat and I dont have to worry about sliding a tank bag on and off anymore.

BKP

Givi tank lock bag... Been using it for close to year, and couldn't be happier with it. Easy to get on and off... no magnets... keeps the bag off the tank... lots of bags to choose from -- same mount...

This is mine -- XS307:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BKP

what do you do with it while filling up?
Same thing you'd do with a magnet based tank bag... it pops off in an instant (you give that little red hook on the bottom a tap), and you put it on your seat. Putting it back on, it seems to find the mount by itself, and clicks right back on - nothing to pull, push, arrange, re-position.
Additionally, the mount, on the bottom of the bag, is adjustable forward and back (via four screws), so you can position the bag where you want it on your tank.

Finally, in the event you leave the tank bags on the bikes when you go into stores, or work, or wherever.. someone walking along can just grab a magnetic bag, and walk... While it's literally a snap to pop off the tanklock bag, you have to know how to do it, to release it -- and there just aren't many people familiar with that -- including bikers.

Pinarello Rider

So, as many other people, I have a magnetic tank bag. I live down a dirt road about 1/4 mile down the dirt road. I get dirt up and under the magnets and it scratches my tank. So I now have some deep(and look somewhat dirty) scratches where my magnets sit. Has anybody come up with a solution for possibly fixing these scratches without sending the whole tank off to get repainted? I know there is a clear coat on the outside of it. I am planning on switching up to either a suction-cup tank bag or a local company here makes tank bags that are strapped on and can unzip from the zipper.
Regarding fixing the scratches - depends on how deep. If you can get your finger nail into it and it catches, repaint. Otherwise, there are various types of compounds and waxes that can fix/hide the scratches.

lwclancers

Cortech also makes a gas cap mount/bag too!

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

Yeah, the scratches on the tank are definetly through the top coat. When I run my fingernail across the scratches, my nail catches on them. So that probably means I need to repaint. Or, I could just get my other tank bag and cover up the scratches and hide my issue. Does anybody have any experience with the tank bags that you basically tie onto your frame type? Lift the gas tank up and wrap the straps under them? I really like the idea of the gas cap lock ones. I work at a bike shop, so I'll have to look in my catalogs and see what kind of an awesome deal I can hook myself up with ;-).
I have speed wax products that I spent probalby 15 minutes on Saturday trying to clean the scratches out as much as possible, but I can still see them.

sammy56

Same thing you'd do with a magnet based tank bag... it pops off in an instant (you give that little red hook on the bottom a tap), and you put it on your seat. Putting it back on, it seems to find the mount by itself, and clicks right back on - nothing to pull, push, arrange, re-position.
Additionally, the mount, on the bottom of the bag, is adjustable forward and back (via four screws), so you can position the bag where you want it on your tank.

Finally, in the event you leave the tank bags on the bikes when you go into stores, or work, or wherever.. someone walking along can just grab a magnetic bag, and walk... While it's literally a snap to pop off the tanklock bag, you have to know how to do it, to release it -- and there just aren't many people familiar with that -- including bikers.
I have this same Givi tank bag...works perfectly!

LB