Tail of the dragon...

ranger09

Well I am heading out to Nashville, Tn from Canton, Ohio. Little over 10 1/2 hour ride...

While down there we are hitting up the Tail of the Dragon. Has anyone been on this trail?

I cannot wait to get on the bike Thursday morning!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

whatever you do, be very careful. turns very tight and can surprise you. never know who might be blowing their corner coming in the op. direction and get into your lane, and not just bikes, cars and big rigs :eek: - how they make it through some of those roads i have no idea

have fun! report back

BKP

^^^^^^

What he said...

The Dragon is a good place to *underestimate* your abilities...

Alex6

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

whatever you do, be very careful. turns very tight and can surprise you. never know who might be blowing their corner coming in the op. direction and get into your lane, and not just bikes, cars and big rigs :eek: - how they make it through some of those roads i have no idea

have fun! report back
AFAIK, the 18 wheelers are now not allowed on that road. Still, a car or even a bike crossing the line is not uncommon there...
Visit the tree of shame prior to the ride. It sould humble you. ;)
Best of luck. Have fun and be safe.

Fizzer6R

AFAIK, the 18 wheelers are now not allowed on that road. Still, a car or even a bike crossing the line is not uncommon there...
Visit the tree of shame prior to the ride. It sould humble you. ;)
Best of luck. Have fun and be safe.
think there's signs up as warning, but that doesn't stop em and once they're on the road they can't get off it and have to run it's course. i haven't been in years but talk to others that go regularly and they say trucks always end up there

trucks :eek:
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

the hump is where i almost lost it. forward to 5:00 to see the 18 wheel carnage :(
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16YnmJN0fc]Hell Roads - Tail of the Dragon - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

kevin8198

Elite Member

FZ6Rob85

Oh my god that guy's gonna get somebody killed! That's ridiculous!

FZ6Rob85

Yeah I just looked it up...that's insane...and trucks continue to go through there. Unbelievable. Do they have turnarounds at the ends with instructions for truckers to turn around that are constantly ignored or do they only have signs warning them?

Chevyfazer

Don't get me wrong but I think it's WAY over rated. Maybe I'm spoiled by north ga but it still is a fun road but it has been ruined by over popularity, and all the little racer wanna be's in there cages. Every time I've been up there in the last year (about 10 times) I've had punks cross the center line and almost hit me. The closest was actually a guy driving a damn Ferrari! The people in cars just don't care, and the Sunday drivers are just as bad. You be cruising at a nice pace then come around a corner to see the rear of a mini van going 5mph because the kids wanna see the pretty scenery...

I've herd, but haven't had the chance that the best time to go is on a Tuesday, or if you can brave it, any time after 11pm. I have done that once and it was INTENSE. I went up to met a buddy at a rotary rally they had going on, he had a rx7 with lights all over the front to he took point and lighted the way. Now that was fun!

Harrisch

ive driven the dragon, but never ridden it... but i can imagine it would be incredible on a bike...

my dad and i did a road trip from upstate ny, down to the dragon, drove it both ways, and back in 2 days - 40 hrs on the road, 8 hrs in a hotel overnight... it was an awesome experience, we were in his c6 vette and the car was comfortable the whole way, just try to time your arrival at the dragon for off peak hours, it can be pretty heavily trafficked and patrolled. The nearby cherohala skyway is an awesome drive/ride too with lots of faster sweeping corners.

BKP

Don't get me wrong but I think it's WAY over rated. Maybe I'm spoiled by north ga...
Yep... (doesn't hold a candle to Blood Mountain)...

Gixerhp

Watch this Video of Yellow Wolf, he is a local rider that used to video tape riders thru the Dragon!

Most of you will never be able to keep up with him!

And he is riding a newer Goldwing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo]deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail - YouTube[/ame]