Steering Damper

JonKerr

Elite Member

6R Blackout

I guess no one has really pulled the trigger on this mod and actually went thru with it, or they don't make a steering damper that will actually fit our bike? I am with Jon Kerr on this does anyone know if this will work for our bike??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Detrich

The more I ride around with the damper on, the more I love it. I think for you fast guys- ie Jon, Chris, Heineken, Josh etc. - you guys are going to go even faster with it and don't yet realize what a big difference it makes. The extra stability you get on the front is like adding a stabilizing bar under the hood of ur car. And it inspires a lotta confidence for some reason.

I'm admittedly pretty slow in the canyons and trying to improve. But, this thing has helped me a lot. Initially u don't really notice much difference at all, but once u start going a little bit faster u start realizing, holy cow the bars are so strangely stable thru every turn, bump, and squirrel u run over.... lol x_X

Fizzer6R

The more I ride around with the damper on, the more I love it. I think for you fast guys- ie Jon, Chris, Heineken, Josh etc. - you guys are going to go even faster with it and don't yet realize what a big difference it makes. The extra stability you get on the front is like adding a stabilizing bar under the hood of ur car. And it inspires a lotta confidence for some reason.

I'm admittedly pretty slow in the canyons and trying to improve. But, this thing has helped me a lot. Initially u don't really notice much difference at all, but once u start going a little bit faster u start realizing, holy cow the bars are so strangely stable thru every turn, bump, and squirrel u run over.... lol x_X
squirrel killer :(

6R Blackout

So you have a steering damper on your bike, if so what brand is it and where did you get it from?

Fizzer6R

So you have a steering damper on your bike, if so what brand is it and where did you get it from?

check out his sig.line - 2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 - GPR v4 Steering Damper

Detrich

in all fairness FIzz, the squirrel was already dead. x_X hahahaha... the damper has made me a little bit lazy. things i used to worry about avoiding on the road i now just plow over... very bad, i know... =P

Detrich

Hunter> It's a GPR v4 purchased from www.CycleSector.com. It was around $365 plus tax & shipping thru a group buy on the R6 forum... So, well under $400. Diego is really cool guy, and I'm sure that he'll do a group buy for our forum too- if enough of u guys spear head it.

This model GPR dampener is available for the 2009-2010 FZ6R too and in an assortment of colors- which is why I'm providing feedback for everyone's benefit. :)

I've actually have had it in the closet drawer for a few months and only had it installed recently. I initially had some fears over potential negative side effects after some "nimrods" gave me misinformation about how it hinders slow speed maneuvering and might make u drop the bike. If dialed in correctly, that is a non-issue and all BS...

Ultimately, my local Yamaha dealership service dept. assuaged all my fears and offered to install it for me at my 4k service when I discussed it with them. They felt that I would absolutely love it and said that if I felt otherwise, they'd be happy to remove it if I didn't like it after trying it out- but that they doubt that would be the case. They were right, and I have to say that I'm really happy with this purchase. :)

This is a passive performance mod that I feel will improve your riding, because it adds stability to the front end. It's also a safety mod, because it will significantly reduce the risks of tank slaps- tho personally, after 3 years I've never experienced a tank slap b4 and can't say u need it for that. But the added stability is a fantastic feeling.

Check it out for the FZ6R:

http://www.cyclesector.com/GPR_V4_STEERING_DAMPERS_STABILIZERS_p/gpr-dampers-v4.htm

Last edited:

raven6

FYI on setting a damper..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ure-Tf1vMPY]Jesse Knutson: how do you set a steering damper? - YouTube[/ame]

mdgreene2001

So far I have not been able to find any damper for the fz6r no one makes them. Anyone find one yet?? GPR, Scotts, Timax all don,t make one that fits, they do make one for the fz6, is it the same for the fz6r?