SPROCKET HELP-beating a dead horse I know

CrazyCawi

OK SO MY STEALERSHIP SAYS THEY ONLY MAKE A 43TOOTH SPROCKET, A 45 TOOTH SPROCKET AND A 46 TOOTH SPROCKET FOR OUR BIKE.

I want it in black....he says Ill loose signifigant power going with a 43 tooth rear....and no difference really noticed with a 45 tooth.

Says he can only get a 16 tooth front sprocket. Idk what to do....I was going to do what rook did and get a -2 rear sprocket which is a 44 tooth...but they apparently dont make it....

I want to lower my rpm a little as I commute a ton, but I dont want to lose all power ya know?

Suggestions? thanks.....

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Rookasaki

I think is looking for the 7th gear.... :D
+1

They can find one for you. My yamaha dealership couldn't find a 17 front, so they found a 44 rear.... If they look hard enough they can find something...

-2 is great. yes, I can feel a small loss in acceleration... But it rides so much smoother. You can feel and hear the bike more relaxed/less stress on engine. It doesn't feel like my poor engine is going to explode anymore :)

CrazyCawi

marthy which one would you go with? would you do 16 up front and 44 rear, or 17/44?

I want 7th gear is right but I dont want to lose to much low end either, and I tried gearcommander but thats confusing as FUNKy monkey.

I dont want to have to mess with chain length much cuz I just bought an ek chain thats 120 link lol.....

CrazyCawi

+1

They can find one for you. My yamaha dealership couldn't find a 17 front, so they found a 44 rear.... If they look hard enough they can find something...

-2 is great. yes, I can feel a small loss in acceleration... But it rides so much smoother. You can feel and hear the bike more relaxed/less stress on engine.
rook you wouldnt happen to have your stealerships number do you? I wonder if they would order and drop ship it for me? :iconbeer:

Rookasaki

rook you wouldnt happen to have your stealerships number do you? I wonder if they would order and drop ship it for me? :iconbeer:
Of course I have their number... I know all the guys out there. I'll get more info for you. I know it's from www.jtsprockets.com I can get you the part number... When looking on their site I didn't see a 44 for our bike, but I know Yamaha ordered one from there...

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

marthy with a 17/44 did you have to change your chain?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ScottM

Just put on a 17 tooth front sprocket. I paid only $33 and the tech advice from Pizz was free. No chain mods necessary. Feels great.

I will bet that you will like it enough to leave it that way and forget fooling with the rear sprocket. IMHO

CrazyCawi

I want a black sprocket though not that nasty unpolished silver one lol

ScottM

I quess that you are not nearly as lazy as me.

There are at least seven or eight bolts holding that sprocket on and you gotta take the rear wheel off I guess---------- I'm way too lazy for that.

I admire you guys with all the major mods and stuff.

It seems that lately I have raised sitting around and drinking beer to an art form.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Well I ordered 17/44 marthy gearing in black with gold sprocket nuts :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

Gearing by the numbers... @ 75MPH

16/46 = 6800 (Stock)
16/44 = 6500
16/43 = 6400
17/46 = 6400
17/44 = 6100 (My actual one)
17/43 = 6000
16/42 = 6200
16/40 = 5900
16/38 = 5600 (My old one)

If I miss one let me know... 16/38 is a good cruising gear if you think riding coast to coast. 17/44 is a good compromise I think...
Just curious, why'd you change from 16/38?