Sport Touring suggestions for 2-up riding

Jay S.

I had to go get a battery for the Boss Vespa, so I went to the bike shop. Battery will be in middle of next week... I walk by the showroom on the way out. I looked at the ST1300. Awesome bike... and the ZX1400... after 10 minutes sitting on it I had to walk out... quite comfy for a sports bike. I bet it will look great with a touring package... already have a huge saddle... But I was getting stupid just sitting on it! Might not be the best bike for me...
You gotta respect a man who knows his limits. That is the exact reason I was bent on building a sub-1K cc sport touring bike. Hell I can get in plenty of trouble on my 6R. After my last road trip I'm convinced I'll keep the 6R for a very long time. The only reason I could see getting something bigger is if my wife started riding with me. I would LOVE to get a ZX-14 and put hard bags on it...but I'd likely get way too stupid on it.

Such is life...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Jay S.

I hear you... just so much you can blame on mid-life crises! :D

Been looking at the Streetfighter 848 also... so tempting!
I've considered getting an FZ8 and adding all the touring accessories to include plastics. I also like the V-strom 1K, so ugly, but I like it. The Streetfighter is pretty sexy. I think the 750-900cc range is just about perfect for sport-touring.

:thumbup:

Brock Kickass

If you're thinking about the FZ8, just get the FZ1. The 8 is like a 1 on a budget. With the FZ1 you get more power than the FZ8, which helps with a passenger. I am not saying you'll be doing a MotoGP race 2 up or anything, but I'd rather have power on tap and never use it than find myself short. I find the extra power really nice with a passenger. Besides that, you get better suspension (more adjustability) which is also excellent if you're using the bike for a mix of solo and 2 up riding. You get this and more, and don't pay a penalty in weight.

CtrlAltDl

CtrlAltDl

I almost did get the VFR800 instead of the 6R. The VFR was just a bit too much $$$ at the time... It was a brand new 25th Edition... I'm still having nightmare about this... lol I should have went for it anyway!
If you makes you feel any better the VFR isn't as rock solid reliable as the 6R, though it is one sexy looking and sounding beast ;).

The VFR has a couple recalls (wiring and brakes) and they are notorious for electrical issues. Mine is going to the stealership to have the wiring loom replaced under a recall as soon as the parts get here.

arse

my girl quite likes the backseat of the fz6r, however i do see a ninja1000 in my future, or a ss :D

yamarx1

I have riden both FZ1 and FJR, I would go FJR sweet ride. I am actually in the process of dealing on a left over 2009 FJR but I am also keeping the fz6r, just my 2 cents

BackBone

I went browsing around a little bit today in search of a bigger bike just to get discouraged when they told me what my trade in value is on my 6R is only 2100 bucks. I figured it was a fluke, so went to a neighboring town and they only was gonna give me 2200. I enjoy my bike way too much to just give it away, so I decided just to keep it and hopefully my wife will be riding safely behind me on her ninja. Not really the outcome I had hoped for today, but I should of known the result before even trying. Anyways, thanks to everyone that offered advice, links, and comments. :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Okay what I "should" have said...is Honda does not import the VFR800 to the United States anymore and we were never discussing the VFR1200.

Geez.

:spank:
You clearly stated the VFR, so that is what I was responding to. You didn't say the VFR800, VFR750, or VFR1200.

Now that my head has been bitten off can I have it back? :rolleyes:

CtrlAltDl

Two thousand!?!? They are smokin' crack! I know the stealerships greatly undervalue trade-in's, but that is a bit excessive.

Unless you're in a hurry you should do a private sale and get some real money for it.

Have you considered modding the 6R to do what you need it to do? You could always get some custom seats, wind shield, bars and suspension on it to make it more 'touring' compatible.

BackBone

I need to look at making my bike work, like you said, upgrading suspension, windshield, and etc. Besides, It took me several months to locate my bike last year, since I wanted the best color.... Yellow! I'll just put money into it and make it work for my needs. :thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

I need to look at making my bike work, like you said, upgrading suspension, windshield, and etc. Besides, It took me several months to locate my bike last year, since I wanted the best color.... Yellow! I'll just put money into it and make it work for my needs. :thumbup:
You know if you painted it blue you wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. ;)