Sound when you turn the key to "on"?

Invader Jim

I have had my FZ6R a little over a month. Every day when I turn the key the warning lights come on for a few seconds and it makes some noise. Maybe the noise is a fan or something powering up and then down. I am not sure what it is. It sounds like the bike is booting up. Yesterday, I noticed that the lights come on as usual but the bike is silent. It starts fine and runs fine but every day since I got it I heard the power-up sounds when I turned the key and now it is silent.

What do you hear when you turn the key to the on position? What is normal? What makes the noise when turn the key to the on position? Is something wrong with the bike?

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Check if your red cutoff switch is on or off when you start it. You will get no noise if it is in the off position. Turn it on halfway through the "boot" and you'll hear it finish. If this isn't it, I'd be surprised.

Invader Jim

Check if your red cutoff switch is on or off when you start it. You will get no noise if it is in the off position. Turn it on halfway through the "boot" and you'll hear it finish. If this isn't it, I'd be surprised.
Went out to the parking lot and tested it and that is it! Thanks. :D

JSP

Super Moderator
Fuel pump priming.

Exactly what ajskillz said if the kill switch (red button) is in the on position(pushed back) when you turn the key you will not hear it.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

oorgle

Fuel pump priming.
its the fuel pump. modern fuel pumps prime before the engine starts. my truck makes the same noise. if your not hearing the buzzing sound then the pump is not priming and is running dry for the first second. I would get it looked at or one day you will come out and the pump will be dead and the bike won't start.

if your bike is still within warranty then you shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed as the pump is not a wear and tear item.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

jmlevy85

It is your fuel pump priming. In all vehicles using an electric fuel pump it will run for roughly 3 seconds when you first cycle the key to ensure that there is enough pressure for the injectors to work. It is completely normal. Your car will do the same thing if it has an electric fuel pump. Try just turning the key to the on position with the door open and chances are you will here a very similar noise.

jmlevy85

its the fuel pump. modern fuel pumps prime before the engine starts. my truck makes the same noise. if your not hearing the buzzing sound then the pump is not priming and is running dry for the first second. I would get it looked at or one day you will come out and the pump will be dead and the bike won't start.

if your bike is still within warranty then you shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed as the pump is not a wear and tear item.
Actually if there is enough pressure in the lines the pump will not run. If you ever notice an extended start time then what you want to do is cycle the key on for 3 seconds then of then on again. Do this 3 or 4 times and see if the starting issue continues. If it is corrected then your fuel pump is going out. If it does not do anything then there is something else wrong