Soon to be first time FZ6R owner!

Z3roFlaw

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. Let me start off with a bit of a background of myself. My name is Mike, I'm 28 years old and I'm currently in the market for a motorcycle.

I've had my M1 license since I was 20, when I first took the MSF course and then went straight out and bought a brand new 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600.

I rode that bike for about 3-4 months and unfortunately it was my only mode of transpiration. One morning when I wasn't feeling real well, but still neded to go to work, I pushed it and rode anyways. I was fine going to work, coming home I was feeling better but I really don't remember much of the ride coming home. I was involved in an accident (slow speed, probably less that 20 MPH) and according to the police report it was placed at my fault as I rear ended an SUV. I received a concussion and ended up in the hospital with a no road rash but a few bruises, a concussion, and a banged up knee which almost (according to the doctors) needed a pin if it wouldn't heal on its own. Thankfully it did.

After that day, the bike was considered totaled, my insurance paid it off and that was the end of my riding. Not because I was scared of getting back on the saddle, but more so that I now needed another mode of transportation and needed to get a car.

Fast forward 8 years and now I'm at a better point in my life and I'm ready to ride again.

I was seriously looking at getting an 07-08 GSX-R 600 again as I just really love the riding style, the sexy blue/white combo and wanted to eventually take it to the track where I could seriously learn the ins-and-outs of the bike with the proper training.

However, after reading on this forum, the GSXR forums, and hearing what many many experienced riders are suggesting for someones first bike, I have been lead to the sexy Yamaha FZ6R.

As a rider with pretty much 0 experience (since I'm not counting the short amount of time on my first bike), I'm looking for reassurance that the 600cc FZ6R is a good place for me to start. I plan on keeping it for probably 2 years and then eventually upgrading to my dream bike. But I do have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could answer for me.

1) I'm 6' 2" and currently weight 290lbs (down from 316, and still losing more weight), is this bike going to give me enough pull, acceleration, torque, all those fun things that you enjoy riding a 2 wheeled vehicle?​

2) There aren't many used bikes available on craigslist or the cycle trader in the SoCal area, so I currently have my eye on a new 2011 model listed below. My question is, what do you think I can get the dealer to come down to out the door? Would it be possible for the bike price to drop to an out-the-door price in the 6's for a new bike?​

2011 Yamaha FZ6R Reddish/Copper & Black - $7590

I have about 4k in cash and the rest I would need to finance, so I'm hitting up my bank tomorrow morning to see about getting a loan and then I'm going to check out that bike. Hopefully things work out for the best and I'll be a proud new owner! :)

Hopefully I can meet up with some other local riders in the SoCal area and we can go riding sometime!

Peace!
-Mike

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Parcho

The bikes weight limit is like 410 lbs, so you're under that. It has enough power to do all of the things I consider fun, but I don't know what you consider fun so I can't really help you there.

There is a thread on what you paid for your bike that has tons of info. Different areas charge different amounts.

CrazyCawi

if he can...you can

he is double your weight

Wooster

Well I'm 6'1" and probably 20-30 lbs lighter than you and this was my first bike also. The bike has been great and other than a few cosmetic things, I have no complaints. The bike has plenty of power for getting around town and on the highway. Like you, eventually when I get more experience I'd like to get something with a little more ass to it, but honestly I probably don't need it.

4 Grand is a nice down payment and Yamaha has decent financing (3.99%) if you go that route. Good luck

Z3roFlaw

Thanks everyone for the info.

Another question. Should I walk out of the dealers lot if they won't allow a test ride or is that to be expected and the norm when purchasing a bike. My first bike I bought without ever test riding, but I also never asked them and they never asked me.

Good to know the bike is rated for 410lbs, so I should fit nicely. I will have them adjust the stock rear shock setting to 6 or 7 like Dart said. I'll most likely have to adjust the seat night as well. I'm sure I'll have no problems flat footing it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys and I'll be sure to take pictures of the bike with and without me on it. :) I'll post more tomorrow if all goes as planned.

fltdriver

I had only rode a couple of bikes before buying this one, neither ride was longer than 5-10min. I have had no real issues learning to ride on this bike. It is very forgiving.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Wooster

Another question. Should I walk out of the dealers lot if they won't allow a test ride or is that to be expected and the norm when purchasing a bike. My first bike I bought without ever test riding, but I also never asked them and they never asked me.

Good to know the bike is rated for 410lbs, so I should fit nicely. I will have them adjust the stock rear shock setting to 6 or 7 like Dart said. I'll most likely have to adjust the seat night as well. I'm sure I'll have no problems flat footing it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys and I'll be sure to take pictures of the bike with and without me on it. :) I'll post more tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Unless they have a used one sitting on the lot I doubt they will. With the 4K down payment you might be able to talk them down a little, but it's not going to be like a car.

Z3roFlaw

Yea, that is what I thought. Less haggle room for motorcycles compared to cars. I'll see if they can chip away a few hundred dollars and maybe get me out the door for a smooth 7k for the new 2011.

danieljardim

As a lot of people may know here. I'm the fat rider. I'm 6'1'' and about 320 pounds. The bike has enough power to push my fat ass around.

My seat is adjusted to the higher position (by the way, the seat seems loose when you shake with you hand but when riding is fine? is that normal?)

My suspension is set on factory. I rode several times with my brother in law and ask him to check if the tire was scraping the rear end and was not even close to touch. Why should I change to 6 or 7?

dom02

You might be able to. I got my 2011 Coper/raven from a dealer for 7k. I bought it about at month ago.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Gilbuddy

As a lot of people may know here. I'm the fat rider. I'm 6'1'' and about 320 pounds. The bike has enough power to push my fat ass around.

My seat is adjusted to the higher position (by the way, the seat seems loose when you shake with you hand but when riding is fine? is that normal?)

My suspension is set on factory. I rode several times with my brother in law and ask him to check if the tire was scraping the rear end and was not even close to touch. Why should I change to 6 or 7?
When I first got the bike, I checked the rear suspension to find the appropriate pre-load setting.

I settled on a pre-load setting of 4 with a measured bike sag of 6mm and rider sag (bike + rider + gear) of 31mm. This for a guy at 180lb + gear. However, on certain roads with aggressive riding, I felt the rear shock bottom out and so I recently adjusted the pre-load to 6 (stock shock).

I haven't measured sag or anything yet, but I can tell you that the rear suspension feels way more compliant since then. Of course, that is based entirely on feel for a relatively short number of miles, so I'll have to do some more analysis.

I am planning on replacing the suspension in both front and back at some point soon.

Don't know if that helps, but I would think you would find that it rides better on setting 7, and quite possibly could see even further improvement with a suspension switch as well.

CDN6R

First of all I want to say hello from Canada's East Coast. You can not go wrong with the 6R it is a great "do it all " bike. It has enough power to get you in trouble if you are not careful and comphy enough to do some light touring. The in line 4 cyl is as smooth as silk and I am sure you will love it. Laurie

Z3roFlaw

Got the bike yesterday! Picked up a new 2011 Copper/Raven color with 0 miles on the odometer. Out-the-door price was 8.4k. I was only able to get the guy to shave off 500 bucks.

I'm going to upload some pictures of the bike with and without me on it. :)

My first impressions is its a fun bike for sure! I drove it home at the stock rear shock setting of 3 and the seat in the stock low position. I've since upped it to the high position and moved the rear shock setting to 5 for now. Going to put some more miles on it before making any more adjustments.

Because of the break in period, I unfortunately haven't been able to really put her through the paces. I want to wind out the gears but I've been babying it and keeping the rpms below 6 whenever possible.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Z3roFlaw

Here are the pictures of my new baby! :) I'm so happy with this bike right now.

2011 FZ6R Copper/Raven

I've already removed all of the stickets on the swing arm (both sides) and the tank sticker. Looks much cleaner. I've also added a black tank protector.

:Sport: